Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Standards of driving in Canada

Standards of driving in Canada

Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standards of driving in Canada

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It really upsets some Mustang drivers when you pull up behind them at a stop light and yell move your horse before it sh*ts on my car.
Hmmm, in the Mustang years all I heard was "nice car, buddy".
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hmmm, in the Mustang years all I heard was "nice car, buddy".
You obviously never ran into the rivalry between GM and Ford owners.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Have been teaching my 3yr old daughter the Canadian way when it come to traffic lights.

I now get the commentary from the rear seat, "Daddy, Red means Stop" "Daddy green means go!" then my wife thought it was funny to teach her " Daddy, orange means go faster"

Sort of sums up Kanata driving
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:57 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps small town Canada's different? On my commute each day I occasionally see some inconsiderate driving, or poor observation skills, but no more or less than I remember in England.

Never seen road rage here, and the speed of driving is very restrained. Lack of traffic volume seems to mean more relaxed and laid back habits.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:52 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
Have been teaching my 3yr old daughter the Canadian way when it come to traffic lights.

I now get the commentary from the rear seat, "Daddy, Red means Stop" "Daddy green means go!" then my wife thought it was funny to teach her " Daddy, orange means go faster"

Sort of sums up Kanata driving
Ever noticed how people on the 417 drive humanely when out in the boonies where there is little traffic and then floor-it when they get into the Ottawa bit, where there is lots of traffic?

I don't drive, so I can't really comment. It just seems a bit arse-about-face to me.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Funny thing is that most people here seem to think that standards are lower here than in the UK, yet in BC we have to retake our driving test

IMO, the UK roads have more traffic, probably more aggressive drivers, but at least they have a higher skill level than here. People are paying more attention too and road manners are better as well.

Canadian drivers are probably worse than UK drivers, but they are still better than NZ drivers. My worst bugbear here is the idiots driving around in their stupidly oversized vehicles (generally a Ford F-150), thinking that they have right of way and precedence over everyone, because they choose to drive a ridiculous vehicle. No acknowlegement/waving when letting someone in really gets my goat too. Signalling isn't supposed to be optional, but I guess it gets tricky when you are keeping one knee on the wheel, texting in one hand and drinking your coffee in the other !!

On a slightly seperate point, I find the signage absolutely 3rd world here in Vancouver. Terrible.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Originally Posted by brizzle
My worst bugbear here is the idiots driving around in their stupidly oversized vehicles (generally a Ford F-150), thinking that they have right of way and precedence over everyone.
Yeah...Tell me about it (although I reckon Dodge Ram drivers are the worst).

Also I have noticed a lot of 'texting while driving at 80 kph +" recently.

I was and Deerfoot at the weekend and noticed a crappy Pontiac Sunfire swerving all over the fast lane, doing around 100 kph. I said to my wife, "I bet they're texting". I got alongside and, sure enough, the woman had her phone up to the steering wheel and she was transfixed and in a world of her own, staring at the small screen, texting away.

Bless!!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulOK
Yeah...Tell me about it (although I reckon Dodge Ram drivers are the worst).

Also I have noticed a lot of 'texting while driving at 80 kph +" recently.

I was and Deerfoot at the weekend and noticed a crappy Pontiac Sunfire swerving all over the fast lane, doing around 100 kph. I said to my wife, "I bet they're texting". I got alongside and, sure enough, the woman had her phone up to the steering wheel and she was transfixed and in a world of her own, staring at the small screen, texting away.

Bless!!
I'm not sure I see the complaint about the texting, is the objection that it caused the driver to go slowly? If so, I feel your pain.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

I'm not sure I see the complaint about the texting, is the objection that it caused the driver to go slowly? If so, I feel your pain.
I had a 7 month old in the back and was fearful that this "texter" might just career into me as she was frequently swerving in and out of her lane.

Silly, I know.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I will agree with all of the above except.

I learned to drive here as did my wife who is "a cradle Canadian" and we do not drive this way. We complain loudly about those that do but we don't over simplify it and say "all" a lot perhaps maybe even most but not all..
OK - I relent a little - ALL of the Canadian drivers that have driven me anywhere for any distance do not have the foresight to look further than 25 metres in front of them ....
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I had a 7 month old in the back and was fearful that this "texter" might just career into me as she was frequently swerving in and out of her lane.

Silly, I know.
I don't get this use of children to validate opinion. "Baby on Board", so what? If you've a disinclination to collision it's not more or less justifiable because you've a acquired an infant. Drive quickly past and you don't have to worry.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

I don't get this use of children to validate opinion. "Baby on Board", so what? If you've a disinclination to collision it's not more or less justifiable because you've a acquired an infant. Drive quickly past and you don't have to worry.
Yet another sanctimonious internet contrarian who thinks they're a lot more funny than they actually are....Yawn!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Silly, I know.
So did you pull over and let them pass or just carry on and worry they may run into you?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Scotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really nice

I dont think they can drive in a straight bloody line. And if theres even a cars length between you and the car in front you can guarantee somebody will try and fill it. There nuts
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

And what about the way "they" manoeuvre around car parks??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.