Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Standards of driving in Canada

Standards of driving in Canada

Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standards of driving in Canada

Originally Posted by PaulOK
Yet another sanctimonious internet contrarian who thinks they're a lot more funny than they actually are....Yawn!
I don't see dbd's post as particularly contrarian.

'hey you, drive safely, i've got a baby on board' is a bit meaningless when you think about it.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:40 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
OK - I relent a little - ALL of the Canadian drivers that have driven me anywhere for any distance do not have the foresight to look further than 25 metres in front of them ....
25 meters...wow you've been lucky, most don't see or plan any further than their front bumper or in some cases the windshield.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't see dbd's post as particularly contrarian.

'hey you, drive safely, i've got a baby on board' is a bit meaningless when you think about it.
In the UK I used to be particularly annoyed by the "Bebe a bord" signs. Not just precious parents, but precious poseurs.

What do they think is going to happen, - ooh I won't hit that car as it has a baby in it, I'll drive at that one instead??
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
In the UK I used to be particularly annoyed by the "Bebe a bord" signs. Not just precious parents, but precious poseurs.

What do they think is going to happen, - ooh I won't hit that car as it has a baby in it, I'll drive at that one instead??
Exactly.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus

What equally annoying is seeing a car with said sign being driven in a stupid and/or dangerous manner.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
What equally annoying is seeing a car with said sign being driven in a stupid and/or dangerous manner.
Maybe they meant the baby was driving.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulOK
Yet another sanctimonious internet contrarian who thinks they're a lot more funny than they actually are....Yawn!
I wasn't aiming for "funny" with that post. The whole "I can reproduce so I'm important" attitude behind the "Baby on Board" signs baffles me. We can all do that.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wasn't aiming for "funny" with that post. The whole "I can reproduce so I'm important" attitude behind the "Baby on Board" signs baffles me. We can all do that.
I agree with you - I wouldn't dream of putting one of those signs (or any other sign for that matter) on my car. They make me cringe.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Maybe they meant the baby was driving.
Could well be some are driven very erratically.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...4055715AALYGAM
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:44 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbd33;8125074]I'm not sure I see the complaint about the texting,[QUOTE]

just for info i recently took this to court, little test case of my own in AB where there are no specific laws (yet) in relation to mobile phone use while driving. convicted after a not guilty plea and trial of careless driving, with a $452 fine.
for those texting and driving in the Edmonton area there is at least one officer who will take the appropriate action, don't do it, its dangerous.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Britsrus is an unknown quantity at this point

So glad someone's brought this up. I love this Country but I don't love the driving here. IMHO Canadian drivers are technically poor and lack the typical highway courtesy that you find in the UK.

Case in point, as mentioned by original post, is complete lack of understanding on courtesy wave and flashing lights to let someone in etc. Normally you just get a look of bewilderment, and expect no thanks. Same goes for merging and squatting in an outside lane and refusing to budge. As for parking, that's on a whole new level of ineptness. Don't even get me started on the texting/phoning I see here.

On the plus side, I find the road rage here more manageable than back in the UK BUT I also find the average UK driver has more awareness and defensive driving skill behind the wheel to compensate. Probably down to the quality of the driving tests in each country. Also, it's got to be said that mastering a Manual makes you a better driver to begin with, and that's not common here.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Typing while driving cannot be considered anything but stupidity.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
just for info i recently took this to court, little test case of my own in AB where there are no specific laws (yet) in relation to mobile phone use while driving. convicted after a not guilty plea and trial of careless driving, with a $452 fine.
for those texting and driving in the Edmonton area there is at least one officer who will take the appropriate action, don't do it, its dangerous.
I acknowledge that it's unlawful. No surprise there, in Ontario most everything is.

I wondered though why a member of the public should object to it.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It's also the size of the roads and the fact that there are very few obstacles to overcome. They are used to what they are used to, and we are used to what we are used to.

I think it is very much horses for courses. Those that criticize Canadians for their lack of driving ability should remember how paralyzed English roads become after half an inch of snow. Half an inch of snow on any Canadian road is unlikely to result in the total chaos that would result in England - who are the better drivers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.