Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Standards of driving in Canada

Standards of driving in Canada

Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:06 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Standards of driving in Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't think canadian drivers are rude (brits are far ruder and much more aggressive in my experience). I just think they drive badly because they are incompetent.
I find this too - when i used to pull people over for tailgating me in a marked police car! they were completely oblivious to what they had done, I would always get the same blank look. Mind you, some of the guys I work with are worse!

What irks me is everyone on the hwy driving the exact same speed in every lane!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:10 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian_munich
maybe it's just Ottawa?!?
You've gotta love the 417 through Ottawa. Its the Hotel California out there as once you get on you can never leave - cause no ****** will let you off it.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:11 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Driving at 100kph just 4 feet from the car in front, but when you arrive at red lights, leaving a 30 foot gap. Which you then spend the cycle of the lights closing. A couple of inches at a time.

Most North American cars could be sold with just "D" and "R" in the gearbox. Most people have no use for "N", "1" or "2"... and only "P" when the engine is turned off.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Snave
I despair at the quality of driving in the Ottawa region. I saw a thread with Rae and ExMetCop in it indicating they are Police officers so I'd like their opinion as well as anyone else on BE.
The general standard of driving here is poor in my opinion. Every day you see someone who is driving on high beam, or at night only on day notice lights. You will see someone with the car halfway across a stop line. You'll see someone who is wandering between the two lines and can't keep their car parallel to them, or is tailgating terrifyingly close. You will see someone dashing out of a junction in front of you. Speeding, texting and emailing is the norm. A colleague of mine openly admits to browsing the web on his iPhone while driving. There is no courtesy whatsoever. If you give way to someone they will just drive away without a wave or acknowledging your consideration. I would like to ask the next one to pull in front of me causing me to brake - would he have done that had I been standing in line in a Timmies? Of course not - so why does the anonymity of a car make them think it's acceptable? There seems to be no pride in peoples driving quality.
So I'd like to ask - how come the quality is so poor? Is it because Canada has so many immigrants from different countries bringing different driving standards? Is it because the Police are too overworked to catch offenders of minor offenses? Have the Police been told to turn a blind eye to minor offenses in order to only concentrate on major ones? Is the Police force under manned, under resourced and under financed?
Anyway - rant over, anyone got anything to add?
It's the opposite!
The police are far too over worked catching offenders of minor (traffic) offenses, that they fail to see the real dangerous, accident causing morons out there on roads.
The standard of driving here is abysmal
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:38 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Bus and coach drivers are some of my pet peeves.

I regularly have TTC buses tailgaiting me when I'm driving up to 10kph over the legal speed limit on regular roads, and when I asked a bus driver why they need to speed he repilied that the schedules are too tight and they can be penalised for being late to turn.

Go Transit, Greyhound and Coach Canada coaches are some of the worst offenders for speeding, as I've lost count of the number of times a coach has passed me doing 20-30kph above the speed limit. Also when they go from the kerb lane to the on-ramp just to pass 3 or 4 vehicles before rejoining the the kerb lane again where cars have to yield to let them in.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Nov 25th 2009 at 3:41 am.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaptainHook

I regularly have TTC buses tailgaiting me when I'm driving up to 10kph over the legal speed limit on regular roads, and when I asked a bus driver why they need to speed he repilied that the schedules are too tight and they can be penalised for being late to turn.

Go Transit, Greyhound and Coach Canada coaches are some of the worst offenders for speeding, as I've lost count of the number of times a coach has passed me doing 20-30kph above the speed limit. Also when they go from the kerb lane to the on-ramp just to pass 3 or 4 vehicles before rejoining the the kerb lane again where cars have to yield to let them in.
That reminds me of another blood boiling moment, was doing the limit on the 417 only be overtaken by a SCHOOL BUS doing probably 120! Where do they get those drivers?? Disneyland?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto just about every comment on here for Kelowna too. Today we witnessed 4 different near misses on the same stretch of road where vehicles were overtaking on double yellows.
Agree with above comment about buses and coaches and huge semi drivers who also seem intent on riding your trunk even though you are already over the speed limit. Worse still when it's minus god knows what and the roads are dangerous yet the distance and speed remain the same.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Originally Posted by printer
Ditto just about every comment on here for Kelowna too. Today we witnessed 4 different near misses on the same stretch of road where vehicles were overtaking on double yellows.
Agree with above comment about buses and coaches and huge semi drivers who also seem intent on riding your trunk even though you are already over the speed limit. Worse still when it's minus god knows what and the roads are dangerous yet the distance and speed remain the same.
I could just go on and on about this! another example - stretch of rural road (March road) Friday morning 9:15 am, dropped daughter off at daycare and on my way to work, doing 70 as told there have been some police about!

Semi comes up behind me and tailgates so close I cannot see his plate, then he starts yanking the chain! FFS

What is wrong with these drivers?

Don't get me started on the Drink Drive mentality!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't anyone every told you guys that no one else in the world can drive?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:04 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Hasn't anyone every told you guys that no one else in the world can drive?
They can drive, just very badly.

One of the contestants on this season's Canada' Worst Driver in India just just by being able to start the car. He says he's never had any instruction, and it shows in his driving.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

They can drive, just very badly.

One of the contestants on this season's Canada' Worst Driver in India just just by being able to start the car. He says he's never had any instruction, and it shows in his driving.
Do you mean Canada's worst driver in India or India's worst driver in Canada?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

the driving is poor in winnipeg, they are rude and aggressive and do not plan ahead so have to cut you up to avoid disaster!

mind you there are a large number of expats in winnipeg!

the thing that tickles me is that on a general basis canadians are very friendly and earnest, but they appear to completely change when they get behind the wheel
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:08 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I think its down to being very laid back. Moved to Ireland and they're exactly the same, terrible. In London i think the threat of a screw driver being waved in your face makes people drive a bit better.

Ireland and Vancouver are the only places ive seen people indicate one way and turn the other... regularly.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:22 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the cops turn a blind eye to bus drivers. I took a bus from Montreal to Ottawa a couple of years ago. From the QC/ON border to Ottawa is 120km. The bus did it in less than an hour. Highway 417 is heavily policed.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes fear that I lower the standard of driving in Ontario. I usually go at the posted speed limit in miles though sometimes much faster. One night this week I noticed that I was going 120mph on a country road, I suppose the limit is 50. I habitually telephone and text on my handheld device while driving, sometimes I boot up the PC and read email. I occasionally have a glass of wine while driving though, as a rule, that's only when going out to shoot beer cans; not much of that trip is on public roads.

I do, however, generally know which lane I'm in and I know how long the car is, I can park it. Perhaps, on balance I'm average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.