Reload this Page >

Skilled work - Social Worker

Skilled work - Social Worker

Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:10 am
Just Joined

londonlisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled work - Social Worker

Hi bop53 -
Have a look on the ocas board that Lilibet posted above. I noticed that there are some listings on it for social work assistant type roles just to give a general idea. There is also a bit at the bottom for information for social work assistants.

I am sure that you could easily do residential work but like in the UK it is not well paid and can be very hard work. I think though given your experience you would be fine. To qualify though, I haven't lived in Canada in a long time so someone else may have more up to date info... Good luck.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bop53
My first post on this forum and I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to find this is an expat forum where people can be open and honest without having their post deleted if they say anything negative.

Another DipSW social worker here, trained in Scotland, 14yrs experience up to project manager level. I chose not to do my degree because I was also a foster mum for 25yrs to 'alternative to custody' teenage boys and was happy to exit Uni at DipSW level

I emigrated to the land of the dead, now known as NZ, two years ago - it has been the biggest and most expensive mistake in my life But....rather than return immediately to the UK, hubby and I thought it might be interesting to work our way home. Not really keen on Australia, so that leaves Canada (it was my first choice but hubby wanted an all year round temperate climate - hence NZ).

Thanks to the great information here I already know I cannot work as a social worker in Canada. (although I did read somewhere there are two regions in Canada where the DipSW is accepted).

My question is.... how easy would it be for me to find work as a social work assistant, or in residential care? Are there many opportunities? How bad is the tall poppy syndrome over there?

Hubby will be the main applicant on the work permit as he stands a good chance of finding work as an occupational therapist due to his extensive skills and experience. I will be happy just finding some interesting and rewarding work.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Bob53,

I will try to be as positive as possible!

I have my social work diploma and was unable to find any meaningful work with it. All my diploma classmates moved on to do degree(s) on top: BSW & MSW. That being said, I live in an area where there is a lot of competition for sw jobs and employers have their pick.

I must be honest, however... I find that Canada have a tendency towards 'credential inflation' that catches people from the UK off guard. This applies for social workers (4 year degree or Masters needed), Occupational Therapy (4 year degree and moving to a masters) and Teaching (4 year degree plus 1 year post-graduate study).

Occupational therapists are having a harder time than Social Workers here. It is a very popular degree and most people work part-time. If your husband has a degree (in order to qualify with the provincial regulating body) plus experience, he will find work but I wouldn't guarantee that he will find full time work. Has he looked online for job prospects? I only mention this because I considered OT for a while before doing my BSW & MSW and was told by OTs to consider the MSW instead as there was more work. As I say... I am not trying to be negative, just realistic... my husband is British, we have families in the UK and I feel that the job market there for those w/ education is much more open than it is here... I currently attend school in Canada with people working on their second masters degree... several students, in fact. Credential creep is a fact of life here.

If you and your partner choose a province or an area that is more under-serviced by professionals, you will increase your chances of finding well paid jobs. However, if your education doesn't meet provincial licensure requirements, you won't be able to practice.

Ontario does recognize 'social service workers' with diplomas, but the title of 'social worker' requires the degree. Having been both, I must warn you that a lot of the diploma grads work in group homes, not in larger agencies or roles.

Good luck!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Hi Bob53,

I will try to be as positive as possible!

I have my social work diploma and was unable to find any meaningful work with it. All my diploma classmates moved on to do degree(s) on top: BSW & MSW. That being said, I live in an area where there is a lot of competition for sw jobs and employers have their pick.

I must be honest, however... I find that Canada have a tendency towards 'credential inflation' that catches people from the UK off guard. This applies for social workers (4 year degree or Masters needed), Occupational Therapy (4 year degree and moving to a masters) and Teaching (4 year degree plus 1 year post-graduate study).

Occupational therapists are having a harder time than Social Workers here. It is a very popular degree and most people work part-time. If your husband has a degree (in order to qualify with the provincial regulating body) plus experience, he will find work but I wouldn't guarantee that he will find full time work. Has he looked online for job prospects? I only mention this because I considered OT for a while before doing my BSW & MSW and was told by OTs to consider the MSW instead as there was more work. As I say... I am not trying to be negative, just realistic... my husband is British, we have families in the UK and I feel that the job market there for those w/ education is much more open than it is here... I currently attend school in Canada with people working on their second masters degree... several students, in fact. Credential creep is a fact of life here.

If you and your partner choose a province or an area that is more under-serviced by professionals, you will increase your chances of finding well paid jobs. However, if your education doesn't meet provincial licensure requirements, you won't be able to practice.

Ontario does recognize 'social service workers' with diplomas, but the title of 'social worker' requires the degree. Having been both, I must warn you that a lot of the diploma grads work in group homes, not in larger agencies or roles.

Good luck!
Sorry Bob, just re-read your post: there are lots of opportunities for diploma grads in residential settings; this is where the majority of the jobs work. Most make between $11-25 per hour, depending. It is tough work, but I am sure you know the realities of the work! Good luck again!

P.S. your husband was right about the climate, though! Brrrr!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by londonlisa
Thanks Lilibet for your posts, they are really encouraging.

That is what I thought re the child protection. As with everywhere it is not the number one choice for a lot of people. I am fairly flexible and would not be adverse to working for CAS so it should be fine.

I trained at McMaster in Hamilton and did my family therapy MA at the Tavistock in London. We are actually planning on coming back to the Hamilton area (Dundas or Burlington) as that is where my family is from and we quite like it. It is not the prettiest city but I am under no illusions. It will be a big change from London but that is what we are looking for. In some ways I am tempted by Toronto but we figure we'd be in the same situation we are in London in terms of cost of living so are opting.

Now off to start that visa paperwork--- uuggghhh.

What have your experiences been like in terms of Social Work in Canada compared to the UK?
hey Lisa, McMaster is a great school! You will have no problem finding CAS or other work in the areas you are looking at. You can even practice as a Marriage/Family therapist, too. Good luck! CAS will snap you up, especially w/ your diverse London experience.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:16 am
Just Joined

bop53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great reply Lilipuddian

I should have read it before I posted on another thread about getting a work permit.

It might interest you to know my hourly rate here in NZ as a grade 5 qualified social worker (DipSW on a par with Degree) is only $20 CAD. and any increment after that is paid one year after application depending on whether your manager thinks you have fulfilled any new requirements. (but not really relevant in my case now as I resigned my post today - long story, but fed up trying to fit in with their medical model. They are about 20yrs behind here).

Yet I pay the same price, if not more, for absolutely everything (except avocados and petrol) than my son does in the UK. So I've had two years to learn to live on the poverty line. I kid you not

But not good news about OT work. I wondered why they were not on the skill list. Not sure if we could survive on a p/t wage. And not keen to move to regions that are too cold in Winter either. His old bones need the warmth he says.

The idea seems to be slipping away at the moment, but I will keep checking things out as it could be a long time before we get our house sold here, and who knows, things might change over there in 6 months. Unlikely I know, but possible.

Sincere thanks again.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

bielbs is an unknown quantity at this point

In Alberta, you can get jobs as a case worker/ intervention services caseworker, which for all intents and purposes is a social worker, but you do not need the a social work qualification, a related degree with experience will suffice.

Check out the alberta govertment website, and you will see the job adverts

www.jobs.alberta.ca

I am currently in Alberta in a social work field, but my degree is not a social work degree
Old Apr 16th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bielbs
In Alberta, you can get jobs as a case worker/ intervention services caseworker, which for all intents and purposes is a social worker, but you do not need the a social work qualification, a related degree with experience will suffice.

Check out the alberta govertment website, and you will see the job adverts

www.jobs.alberta.ca

I am currently in Alberta in a social work field, but my degree is not a social work degree
This is true: I have a friend with a non-sw degree working for AB gov't as a child protection worker. I guess I am basing a lot of my experience on my knowledge of the Ontario system. BC can also be tough (Van) w/o a social work degree. It varies by province. Alberta is a good place to find social work, agreed.
Old May 9th 2011, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know the best place to look for social work jobs in and around the Kamloops BC area. I have a degree in S/W and will be joining BCSW pretty soon so I will be ready to practice. Im looking for posts in children and families.
Old May 9th 2011, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oscardon
Does anyone know the best place to look for social work jobs in and around the Kamloops BC area. I have a degree in S/W and will be joining BCSW pretty soon so I will be ready to practice. Im looking for posts in children and families.
Oscardon: I have found it pretty tough to find child protection jobs posted in B.C. **not that there aren't a lot of jobs, they've just proven difficult for me to find online.** For example, in Ontario there is an official job board (CAS) but I have been unable to find similar for BC. I think that child protection jobs are posted through the BC Gov't (prov) website although I haven't seen a whole heck of a lot. I wouldn't worry, however... if you have a BSW and join BCSW and want to work in child protection, you won't be unemployed for long, IMO.
Old May 10th 2011, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. We are going out for a recce at the end of June, so I was hoping to approach some gov bodies etc its just a matter of finding out where they are hiding.