Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Skilled work - Social Worker

Skilled work - Social Worker

Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

tom25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled work - Social Worker

So I've been looking at the list and Social Worker is on there.

I've heard before you shouldn't plan your move to Canada based on the list as it can always change. But if one of my primary goals in life is to move there, surely I should take necessary steps towards that goal

So the deal is, I graduated university 2 years ago with Accounting and Finance, I don't like accounting and don't wish to do it as a profession, but it does mean I can do a Masters degree in several other fields. Social Work Masters degree is an option, and if I were to complete that, and obtain a relevant amount of work experience in it, that could be a good route?

Would social worker be likely to be taken off the list within the next 3-5 years?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled work - Social Worker

Originally Posted by tom25
So the deal is, I graduated university 2 years ago with Accounting and Finance
Accountants were on the list until last June, as were Financial Managers.

My point being that the list does change regularly, and yes there is a good chance that Social Workers won't be in demand in 3-5 years time, but that Accountants may be back on - or neither of them! Or there may be no list at all, just a point requirement as there was until 2008. Really no way of knowing, and no point planning your career around possible emigration options - do what you want to do and just hope that it gives you a pathway to Canada.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 20th 2011 at 8:23 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:45 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard there were quite a few vacancies in New Brunswick for Social Workers try www.nbjobs.ca to see what the latest position is.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Oscardon is an unknown quantity at this point

Social workers have only just gone on the list, when I started the process they weren't so my husband was the prinicple applicant.

the only thing I would say being a social worker myself is experience is a must. Lots of people say when working in this felid is that its not what they expected and masters degree or not its unlikley that you will find employment without having a least a few years "in the field". Also once you get used to British social work its still different to Canadian social work, all the same good luck.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

lenam is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
I am wondering given you are a British Social Worker and you are living my dream ! Do you think I have a chance of gaining employment in Canada , BC?
I have a DipSW and have worked mostly as a Probation Officer/ Manager since qualifying . Is it worth having my qualifications assessed ? Do I have a chance or should I stay in Liverpool with little quality of life just stress?
I have 2 children and want a better standard of life for them . I dont think England offers that now
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lenam
Do I have a chance or should I stay in Liverpool with little quality of life just stress?
I have 2 children and want a better standard of life for them . I dont think England offers that now
It does, although admittedly maybe not in Liverpool! Given that it'll cost you tens of thousands to move to Canada, plus be very stressful etc, why not explore moving within the UK instead? Lots of people returning from Canada to the UK say they wish they'd just done that instead.

Plus you need to check and see if you are actually eligible for a Canadian visa first, did you check the duties listed under Social Worker to see if you would qualify as I suggested in your last thread?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi
yes I have read the duties of a social worker over and over. The skills are definitely the same as a Probation Officer , very transferable. I have contacted CASW and I am waiting for the application form to have my social work credentials assessed.

I was thinking of BC Victoria looks fresh and clean a nice place for a family?
My Aunt lives in Toronto and has said the standard of living would be better for me and my children in Canada . I cant even buy a decent home in a nice area here in the UK on my wage. Would you say thats the same in Canada?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:40 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Last I heard there were quite a few vacancies in New Brunswick for Social Workers try www.nbjobs.ca to see what the latest position is.

.... the OP is only just thinking of training as a Social Worker .... just thought I'd say ....
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:17 am
Just Joined

jonl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
yes I have read the duties of a social worker over and over. The skills are definitely the same as a Probation Officer , very transferable. I have contacted CASW and I am waiting for the application form to have my social work credentials assessed.

My Aunt lives in Toronto and has said the standard of living would be better for me and my children in Canada . I cant even buy a decent home in a nice area here in the UK on my wage. Would you say thats the same in Canada?
Ditto. My wife is a Social Worker and is the prinicipal applicant. We are looking a Vicroria too. We in the very early stages of putting our application together.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi
yes I have read the duties of a social worker over and over. The skills are definitely the same as a Probation Officer , very transferable.
It's not just the 'skills' though, you also have to meet the criteria in the first paragraph and that does very specifically apply to Social Workers. Also, Probation Officers have their own NOC code, so I really can't see how you'd come under Social Workers if there is one that is a better fit for you - I'd suggest you double check as the last thing you want is to apply and then be rejected and lose your fees.

Standard of living in Toronto may be better than in Liverpool (have never lived in Liverpool so don't know, although did live outside of Toronto), but that could easily be achieved by a move in the UK as well and not cost anywhere near as much! If you can't afford a home in the Liverpool area, then I really don't think you'd be able to in Toronto or Victoria either - both are v expensive. There are cheap areas in Canada, but BC (the joke is it stands for 'bring cash') and ON aren't among them unless you are really rural and away from the popular places like Vancouver and Toronto. Cost of living in Canada is also about the same as in the UK (some things cheaper, some more expensive, but it works out about the same).

Best thing to do is start a new thread about housing etc - if you can give people a budget, tell them what kind of place you're looking for and the lifestyle you are after i.e. skiing/how many cars/entertainment etc, then people can advise you on whether or not it's achieveable. Don't forget to knock off a big chunk of your current equity for the move, say approx £20k for a family to move to Canada, so take that off the total you'll have to spend.

HTH, good luck.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

hi
I am wondering given you are a British Social Worker and you are living my dream ! Do you think I have a chance of gaining employment in Canada , BC?
I have a DipSW and have worked mostly as a Probation Officer/ Manager since qualifying . Is it worth having my qualifications assessed ? Do I have a chance or should I stay in Liverpool with little quality of life just stress?
HI there, Canadian SWer here with a diploma, undergrad (4 year) degree AND a masters degree in social work. Canada is definitely a country with credential inflation and you won't be able to find the same opps here in Canada as you would in the UK. Guaranteed. That's why, as a social worker with three qualifications, I am moving to your country!!!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

serious!!!! well I would say think long and hard about that because you will not have nice views or clean air to breath as a social worker in England. The demand is in the depraved cities with rubbish and dog poo everywhere . Oh and our children with degrees having to work in fast food outlets

Is Victoria like that? Is Canada like that?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonl
Ditto. My wife is a Social Worker and is the prinicipal applicant. We are looking a Vicroria too. We in the very early stages of putting our application together.

good luck ! I am beginning to feel a bit down hearted by the response from the forum, it doesn't seem to match with the info I have received from the canadian immigration who say Social Workers are in demand . I get the impression I dont have a chance or its not worth it! We are going to Victoria in June to have a good look around.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

serious!!!! well I would say think long and hard about that because you will not have nice views or clean air to breath as a social worker in England. The demand is in the depraved cities with rubbish and dog poo everywhere . Oh and our children with degrees having to work in fast food outlets

Is Victoria like that? Is Canada like that? me thinks not or is it all a hype???
grass is greener??
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oscardon
Social workers have only just gone on the list, when I started the process they weren't so my husband was the prinicple applicant.

the only thing I would say being a social worker myself is experience is a must. Lots of people say when working in this felid is that its not what they expected and masters degree or not its unlikley that you will find employment without having a least a few years "in the field". Also once you get used to British social work its still different to Canadian social work, all the same good luck.
Could you come back and offer some insight given you are a UK social worker who has done the move, is it worth it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.