Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Six years and done

Six years and done

Old Aug 30th 2017, 4:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years and done

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What you'll get for $900 for a 2 bed might not be in the most desirable neighbourhood, though. There are a few areas that are not great in Hamilton, but loads of really nice places too.
Effort Trust is one of the larger companies that rent out high rise apartments, they appear to have many priced at under $1000 a month, some of which are on 'the Mountain', Dundas, Ancaster and the 'West End' (some of the more desireable areas). Their rents range from $840ish for a 1 bedroom up to around $1150 for a 2/3 bedroom depending on where it is. Homestead homes are another company who have many rentals and who's prices are in the same region.

I do agree though that there are some private landlords who rent out POS basements etc., in some not quite so salubrious areas very cheaply!

There's often adverts for assistant superintendant couples from time to time (with free 2 bedroom apartment) - perhaps something you might consider JS?

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I think you would definitely get more for your money here.
Take a look on Kijiji and realtor as you're the only one qualified on here to know what you would like.
Siouxie will know much better than me where the no go areas are as I've only been here a short while but I'm learning fast....
There are no 'no go' areas in Hamilton to the best of my knowledge - just some areas that are less desireable than others. Having said that, even the less desireable areas are now being bought up by Torontonians and the like and becoming 'gentrified'.

I personally wouldn't choose to live in the 'North End' but know people that do and who are perfectly happy there.

I'm happy to offer my opinion on specific areas.

Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Effort Trust is one of the larger companies that rent out high rise apartments, they appear to have many priced at under $1000 a month, some of which are on 'the Mountain', Dundas, Ancaster and the 'West End' (some of the more desireable areas). Their rents range from $840ish for a 1 bedroom up to around $1150 for a 2/3 bedroom depending on where it is. Homestead homes are another company who have many rentals and who's prices are in the same region.

I do agree though that there are some private landlords who rent out POS basements etc., in some not quite so salubrious areas very cheaply!

There's often adverts for assistant superintendant couples from time to time (with free 2 bedroom apartment) - perhaps something you might consider JS?

There are no 'no go' areas in Hamilton to the best of my knowledge - just some areas that are less desireable than others. Having said that, even the less desireable areas are now being bought up by Torontonians and the like and becoming 'gentrified'.

I personally wouldn't choose to live in the 'North End' but know people that do and who are perfectly happy there.

I'm happy to offer my opinion on specific areas.

I agree with your take on the North End. My guessing though is that in a few years time it will be very desirable... We're renting on Hamilton Beach which is expensive. So many people comment that it's millionaires row. It's not yet and there is a very eclectic variety of houses here but you can see that it is very up and coming...we're debating whether to buy here while we still can or more towards the city...
My guessing is that Hamilton will be a very different place in 20 years time...
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...DTES in Vancouve...
While I expected that to mean Downtown East side, I wondered if I could find any amusing alternatives by googling.

But the first result on google was the wiki entry saying it's notorious.

Bloody hell, no East sides of any downtown, anywhere, worse than Vancouver to take the number one spot instead?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your take on the North End. My guessing though is that in a few years time it will be very desirable... We're renting on Hamilton Beach which is expensive. So many people comment that it's millionaires row. It's not yet and there is a very eclectic variety of houses here but you can see that it is very up and coming...we're debating whether to buy here while we still can or more towards the city...
My guessing is that Hamilton will be a very different place in 20 years time...
The beach strip (Beach Boulevard area) or Beach Road? They are very different, lol.

If it's the beach strip, I'm envious! There's some absolutely lovely houses down there.. and the prices have increased hugely. There's a Toronto company trying to buy houses to build condos there - I would say it would be a worthwhile investment, if you can find the right one.

Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

The beach strip (Beach Boulevard area) or Beach Road? They are very different, lol.

If it's the beach strip, I'm envious! There's some absolutely lovely houses down there.. and the prices have increased hugely. There's a Toronto company trying to buy houses to build condos there - I would say it would be a worthwhile investment, if you can find the right one.

Beach Blvd... lol

There are some sad old houses here. They need our love <3
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:04 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...We're renting on Hamilton Beach which is expensive....
Blame all those kitchen gadgets.

Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Haha. I did wonder whether that's where they were made. But if that's the case the guy has a fantastically well orchestrated cottage industry. You'd never know! Lol
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:41 am
Banned

Haha. I did wonder whether that's where they were made. But if that's the case the guy has a fantastically well orchestrated cottage industry. You'd never know! Lol
Sadly not, lol.
Founded in April 1910 by inventor Frederick J. Osius in Racine, Wisconsin, the Hamilton Beach Manufacturing Company took its name from two men Osius hired, Louis Hamilton and Chester Beach.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 5:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you did there.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 10:22 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well done ...
Old Aug 31st 2017, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Beach Blvd... lol

There are some sad old houses here. They need our love <3
Even this one?

https://goo.gl/maps/mnGniRsRpgu

A man's home is his castle.

A few times when I've been on the Burlington Skyway I find there is a strong odour (Lake Ontario? Stelco? Dofasco?) or has that gone away.

I visit Hamilton maybe once a year...inlaws etc in Binbrook...a community in the Hamilton area that seems to be proud to have no transit.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Even this one?

https://goo.gl/maps/mnGniRsRpgu

A man's home is his castle.

A few times when I've been on the Burlington Skyway I find there is a strong odour (Lake Ontario? Stelco? Dofasco?) or has that gone away.

I visit Hamilton maybe once a year...inlaws etc in Binbrook...a community in the Hamilton area that seems to be proud to have no transit.
That one is even more castle like in real life...

I think the smell comes from the sewage processing plant thingy in Burlington. I've never noticed it where I live but it's quite pongy when you drive by...

Lots of buses along the main stretch through Hamilton Beach which is probably the first time ever I have lived on a bus route!
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sadly not, lol.
Founded in April 1910 by inventor Frederick J. Osius in Racine, Wisconsin, the Hamilton Beach Manufacturing Company took its name from two men Osius hired, Louis Hamilton and Chester Beach.
Way to burst my bubble Siouxie!!
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:03 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Even this one?
A man's home is his castle..
It's better than the one next door, to the left. Too much like a church for my taste.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's better than the one next door, to the left. Too much like a church for my taste.
Seems to be quite a nice area though, each lane back from that avenue backs onto the lake...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.