Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Six years and done

Six years and done

Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years and done

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Come to my building in Vancouver. There are lady of the night on several corners most of the day.

Also open drug use in the alley and side walks.

Would prefer to live elsewhere in Vancouver but the nice areas are beyond our budget.
Alleyways do tend to attract those types of activities.

Don't get me wrong, I've driven down rue St Dennis in Paris so I'm "worldly" but I hadn't seen one recently, especially in broad daylight! Lol
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Alleyways do tend to attract those types of activities.

Don't get me wrong, I've driven down rue St Dennis in Paris so I'm "worldly" but I hadn't seen one recently, especially in broad daylight! Lol
I was driving to work, in my convertible, top down. Somewhere along Gerrard, Woodbine maybe, I stop at the light and a woman leaps over the door and into the passenger seat. "Give me a ride to River" she says, though it's too late for it to be a question. River's on the way. When we get there she says proudly "This", "is my corner" and then "would you like a date?".
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a lady of the night the other day...it was still day light!!
Just short of my office and on my bike just after 7.00 am I was flagged down by a woman I recognised as a regular from the DSS office I had worked in. I assumed she'd recognised me and was just going to ask me something or say hello.

Turned out she didn't recognise me.

I still wonder what she expected me to do with my bike.

Quite common transactions for people in their cars, in that area, before work apparently.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 3:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We've just done six years.

We're happy in Canada. Looks like things are at last working out after a bump in the road we had three years ago which took us from NS to ON.

I like Barrie but I can't judge as I haven't lived there. We recently made a move to Hamilton and although there are plenty of nay sayers on here I am finding it the friendliest place I've been to in Ontario. Providing of course you avoid some of the less desirable places of course. I saw a lady of the night the other day...it was still day light!!

It has taken some adjustment and I have come to the conclusion that if most of my friends turn out to be Brits so be it.... there are not many Brits in Barrie but there seem to be lots down here...
Finally, someone gets it! Glad to hear you are finding your feet here

As to the 'ladies of the night' - I take it you were on Barton just outside or along from Hamilton General Hospital, lol. They won't bother you (though they might ask if they can cadge a smoke), most of the poor souls are doing it for their next fix, sadly. Having had to spend several days around the hospital a few years back (a family member was in the cardiac ward) I didn't find them too intrusive.

Old Aug 28th 2017, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Finally, someone gets it! Glad to hear you are finding your feet here

As to the 'ladies of the night' - I take it you were on Barton just outside or along from Hamilton General Hospital, lol. They won't bother you (though they might ask if they can cadge a smoke), most of the poor souls are doing it for their next fix, sadly. Having had to spend several days around the hospital a few years back (a family member was in the cardiac ward) I didn't find them too intrusive.

Somewhere along Barton yes.

I'm discovering the city by getting lost. Hubby keeps asking why I'm not using GPS. But it's good to get lost...
Hamilton is my kind of place. People seem genuine for the most part.
It's also not the concrete jungle of everywhere east of the city.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm discovering the city by getting lost. Hubby keeps asking why I'm not using GPS. But it's good to get lost...
I find that's the best way of getting to know somewhere! The other thing I do is followup on a recommendation or advert I've seen on facebook or elsewhere, that takes me to an area, or place I don't know. It just gives me a reason to go there, even if I'm not terribly interested in the actual item/service, but it's better to have a goal than wander aimlessly, by car or on foot - and you also come across things you never expected to see.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 5:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I was back in the Hammer on the weekend.

You should go and sit out on the Collective Arts Brewery patio while the weather is still good.

It's in the rust belt east side but great vibe!
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:03 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

You should go and sit out on the Collective Arts Brewery patio while the weather is still good.

They make some great IPA's especially this one.

Ransack the Universe | Collective Arts Brewing
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JamesM

I'll check that out maybe this weekend. Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tangram
Haha. Am I Karl Pilkington? 😱
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'll check that out maybe this weekend. Thanks
You might find some of these links of use: Hamilton : British Expat Wiki

Old Aug 28th 2017, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

You might find some of these links of use: Hamilton : British Expat Wiki

Thank you. Just taken a quick look and already saw some interesting things.
You'll have to tell me what part of Hamilton you live in. Maybe we can have a mini reunion!
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:57 am
Banned

Thank you. Just taken a quick look and already saw some interesting things.
You'll have to tell me what part of Hamilton you live in. Maybe we can have a mini reunion!
Sounds like a plan! I used to organise meet-ups for BE'ers in Hamilton / Burlington but after a few times people didn't seem too interested, so I stopped.

Old Aug 29th 2017, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like a plan! I used to organise meet-ups for BE'ers in Hamilton / Burlington but after a few times people didn't seem too interested, so I stopped.

Well if you're interested there's a great meet up group through FB for Hamilton and Burlington. I've been twice and it's a good laugh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.