Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Six years and done

Six years and done

Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years and done

Originally Posted by dbd33
The language issue is quite different. In CH most people have, at least, fluency in one of French/German/Italian/Swiss German and some grasp of one or two other the others. As well, many people speak some English. In Canada the average Anglophone cradle knows as much French as the average Swiss knows Romansh.
Indeed. CH's location as well makes it central to its surroundings as well. We used to drive there to fill up the tank when living near the D/CH border as cheaper. Friends lived in D and indeed F and worked across the border. A vastly different set up to Canada, although of course you do border USA. But compared to Australia/NZ which are mono lingual for the most part, at least among the Anglo element as indeed is Canada, you at least have a Provence, where English is not dominant, as well as officially being a bi lingual nation.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Indeed. CH's location as well makes it central to its surroundings as well. We used to drive there to fill up the tank when living near the D/CH border as cheaper. Friends lived in D and indeed F and worked across the border. A vastly different set up to Canada, although of course you do border USA. But compared to Australia/NZ which are mono lingual for the most part, at least among the Anglo element as indeed is Canada, you at least have a Provence, where English is not dominant, as well as officially being a bi lingual nation.
F has the Provence: C has Provinces.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 11:50 am
Just Joined

SheffieldBurlingtonCathy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm reading through this thread and having a giggle. I was raised in Burlington Ontario, which was an incredibly boring place to grow up, in fact we used to call it 'Borington'. I now have a lifelong commitment to never living in deepest darkest suburbia and really struggle when I'm back visiting my parents there. I've been reading these posts with interest since I'd say the main reason I've never quite managed to move back to Canada from the UK (lived here 30 years!) is that I value my social life too much, oh and my generous annual leave. I agree which much of the summing up of the differences (I'm comparing northern England and southern Ontario). There are a lot of chavs, a general feeling of decline and doom and the weather is shocking. I miss blue sky, swimming because it's hot and snow (although maybe I'm a bit romantic about that) as well as the general feeling of friendliness and what always feels like a more gentle society. It's a bit harsh here but I also find that leads to more culture (think UK music) and social life is a major part of living for many!
Old Aug 20th 2017, 2:26 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

As dbd noted upthread, it's surprising that so many have such a wide exposure to cradles to begin with?! Given the high diversity in Canada, there are so many Canadians from other parts of the world that are opinionated or 'non-boring' but these people seem to be excluded from the 'Canadians' definition.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 4:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
As dbd noted upthread, it's surprising that so many have such a wide exposure to cradles to begin with?! Given the high diversity in Canada, there are so many Canadians from other parts of the world that are opinionated or 'non-boring' but these people seem to be excluded from the 'Canadians' definition.
The phrase, "regression toward the mean" comes to mind.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

justme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SheffieldBurlingtonCathy
I'm reading through this thread and having a giggle. I was raised in Burlington Ontario, which was an incredibly boring place to grow up, in fact we used to call it 'Borington'. I now have a lifelong commitment to never living in deepest darkest suburbia and really struggle when I'm back visiting my parents there. I've been reading these posts with interest since I'd say the main reason I've never quite managed to move back to Canada from the UK (lived here 30 years!) is that I value my social life too much, oh and my generous annual leave. I agree which much of the summing up of the differences (I'm comparing northern England and southern Ontario). There are a lot of chavs, a general feeling of decline and doom and the weather is shocking. I miss blue sky, swimming because it's hot and snow (although maybe I'm a bit romantic about that) as well as the general feeling of friendliness and what always feels like a more gentle society. It's a bit harsh here but I also find that leads to more culture (think UK music) and social life is a major part of living for many!
I'm from Burlington as well, I actually miss it dearly. I loved knowing that if I ever left my garage open at night (happened a couple of times by accident-neighbours did it too) that no one would break it or even bother.

I loved the lakeshore and upscale look of the town.

I did go out quite a bit during my university years in downtown Toronto which to be honest isn't far at all or neighbouring Hamilton. I like that it's a safe quiet and quaint town too. Social life for me is hosting BBQs or going out for dinner..

It's really different for each individual and what you value the most.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Location: Ontario, Canada by Lake Huron and on the border with the USA
knitnanny is an unknown quantity at this point

I came to Canada in 1982 with a husband, a 1yr old and a 3 yr old. I was only here 3 months when I said I was never going back to the U.K. Maybe the problem is you?
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 4:52 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Look Barrie is as boring as watching paint dry, it's basically a place people only go to during the summer to sit in their cottage.

Every time someone on here says Canadians are boring or backward they always seem to living in a small town. Well duh.

Calgarians aren't exactly an exciting bunch it has to be said but dullness is underrated imo, the British are the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about, which was really hard to explain to people outside the UK until Brexit happened.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by knitnanny
I came to Canada in 1982 with a husband, a 1yr old and a 3 yr old. I was only here 3 months when I said I was never going back to the U.K. Maybe the problem is you?

Well, we don't all walk in each others shoes do we.
What suits one person may not suit another.
One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

Just because someone does not settle & wishes to leave <insert country they emigrated to> does not mean that the person has something wrong with them or issues. It simply means that place is not for them.

Simples !
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It's 49 years plus 2 days (August 22 1968) since we landed in Canada.

We came on a 2 year visa, and knew within a few weeks that we would like to stay, if things panned out. They did! OH got a promotion within 18 months, then a permanent offer in 3 years. I got the super job that suited me down to the ground.

We have never regretted our decision to come here, nor the one we subsequently made to stay here.

Over the years, we did occasionally have to think about what we would do or where we would live if we both lost our jobs (we've been through 2 recessions here either of which could have resulted in that). The answer was ........... we would try to re-invent ourselves and do something different in Canada.

If we had to move countries, so be it ........ but it would never ever have been back to the UK.

We did consider NZ and parts of Australia as possibilities.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine surprised me recently by saying she and hubby might not retire in Canada. I thought they were settled.
I'm enjoying life here. Three of my kids have left home now and are very settled. Two have Canadian partners they live with. So I have no intention of going anywhere.

However if I did wish to leave I don't think I'd go back to Sussex. More likely Cornwall if it was in the U.K. But more likely Ireland or France.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
A friend of mine surprised me recently by saying she and hubby might not retire in Canada. I thought they were settled.
I'm enjoying life here. Three of my kids have left home now and are very settled. Two have Canadian partners they live with. So I have no intention of going anywhere.

However if I did wish to leave I don't think I'd go back to Sussex. More likely Cornwall if it was in the U.K. But more likely Ireland or France.
Just wait until all the kids have left home (how many have you got FFS?) and until you're both nearly 65 and there's 3 feet of snow and a 5 foot snowplough berm to deal with.

For the fourth time in a week.

You'll consider Europe like we did.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
We moved to Canada 6 years ago. I have a very well paid job, we have a great home, and live in a nice area, but we are done with Canada...or more specifically Canadians. I've met people who moved here 30 years ago, raised a family etc and still struggle socially.

The nicest thing I can say about Canadians is that they are polite (until they get behind the wheel of their financed SUV).

I live for my long weekends back in the UK where you can have a real conversation. Canadians are dull as dishwater.

If you are thinking of coming, take it from someone who believed 100% that the grass was greener...it isn't. Family, friends and a country populated by people capable of intelligent conversation is worth more than a MacMansion and a shiny new SUV.
I was done with Canada six years before I moved here.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Just wait until all the kids have left home (how many have you got FFS?) and until you're both nearly 65 and there's 3 feet of snow and a 5 foot snowplough berm to deal with.

you mean, there isn't snow in Europe????

Maybe you should have tried elsewhere in Canada!
Old Aug 25th 2017, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Haha. I have four boys. The youngest is 12 so we have a few years yet!

I understand what you're saying but I can't for a minute imagine living so far away from my kids. Maybe we'll have to be snowbirds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.