Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping boxes

Shipping boxes

Old Jan 24th 2021, 10:43 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 96
Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping boxes

We are looking at shipping a few boxes, we fly next Monday. We have about 8 boxes to ship, does anyone have any recommendations?
TIA
Fwilkin is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2021, 5:18 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 122
DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping boxes

If you're in the London area, PSS International are a good company, we used them to ship boxes about 7 years ago..

A local company picked them up in Toronto about a week later and delivered to us next day.

Last edited by DMajor; Jan 24th 2021 at 5:21 pm.
DMajor is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2021, 9:39 pm
  #3  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,781
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Don't forget your Goods accompanying / goods to follow lists have to be stamped and signed if you want to bring anything in without paying duties or taxes. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada
Air Transat cargo if you are able to collect the items yourself.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:07 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 55
pjm3586 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping boxes

You can use DHL express service, 40x40x40 cm box up to 30kg, its roughly about £120-150 per box (depending on postcodes) but the boxes will be there in 3 (ish) days.

Obviously other services are available and probably cheaper, just depends on your needs.



pjm3586 is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:00 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 96
Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Thanks I contacted pss today and they were reasonably priced and offer air freight so will go with them.
On the goods to follow list Siouxie does it need to be specific for example:
1 spotty plate
1 striped plate
or can I just put 10 plates priced at $xxxx

I wasn’t sure with air freight how that would work with quarentine, whether they hold it for a certain amount of time, plus it’s getting it to the airport to ship this end we are about 3 hours away from Heathrow.
Fwilkin is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2021, 10:57 pm
  #6  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

If I can make a recommendation, if you're having them collected before you leave then it might be wise to have them collected later from a relative or request temporary storage from the shipping company. If you have things collected and then fail a pre-flight covid test then it could be quite awkward if your things arrive and you're not there already.

Good luck with everything. I hope it works out ok for you.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2021, 11:02 pm
  #7  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Originally Posted by Fwilkin View Post
Thanks I contacted pss today and they were reasonably priced and offer air freight so will go with them.
On the goods to follow list Siouxie does it need to be specific for example:
1 spotty plate
1 striped plate
or can I just put 10 plates priced at $xxxx

I wasn’t sure with air freight how that would work with quarentine, whether they hold it for a certain amount of time, plus it’s getting it to the airport to ship this end we are about 3 hours away from Heathrow.
You don't even need to put the number or list plates. Just say 'kitchenware' and then put a reasonably high figure to cover your plates, bowls, pots, pans etc. When they processed my goods to follow list, the only thing they really paid any attention to was jewellery. I'd included serial numbers for my games consoles and laptop and stuff like that but the customs guy said the it wasn't needed.

I think they're mostly interested in people who might try to abuse the system to import high value items or precious materials that could then be resold on the Canadian market.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2021, 2:04 am
  #8  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,781
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
You don't even need to put the number or list plates. Just say 'kitchenware' and then put a reasonably high figure to cover your plates, bowls, pots, pans etc. When they processed my goods to follow list, the only thing they really paid any attention to was jewellery. I'd included serial numbers for my games consoles and laptop and stuff like that but the customs guy said the it wasn't needed.

I think they're mostly interested in people who might try to abuse the system to import high value items or precious materials that could then be resold on the Canadian market.
Agreed to a point - but what you want to put down is the 2nd hand value not "a high figure" ...... for everything!
It's a requirement to list serial numbers and descriptions etc., regardless of what the customs officer said. Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and get into grief
Originally Posted by Fwilkin View Post
Thanks I contacted pss today and they were reasonably priced and offer air freight so will go with them.
On the goods to follow list Siouxie does it need to be specific for example:
1 spotty plate
1 striped plate
or can I just put 10 plates priced at $xxxx

I wasn’t sure with air freight how that would work with quarentine, whether they hold it for a certain amount of time, plus it’s getting it to the airport to ship this end we are about 3 hours away from Heathrow.
You need to put down the serial numbers, make and model for any electrical items (despite what DG was told, it's a requirement.)
Full descriptions of any jewellery or high value items. You don't have to use the forms, you can make your own lists - but make sure you have 2 copies with you.
Everything else can be generic - see the post below and info in the wiki (open the images in the post in a separate tab) - 2nd hand value for other goods..
https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi.../#post11202796
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods...nclude_in_list
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 26th 2021 at 2:08 am.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2021, 3:52 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 44
jordanleanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Just out of curiosity on this post, has anyone shipped with pallets?
jordanleanne is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2021, 6:32 pm
  #10  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,781
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Originally Posted by jordanleanne View Post
Just out of curiosity on this post, has anyone shipped with pallets?
Pallets are usually sent via a shipping company.. or using a shared container.
You may be able to air freight and contract with the air cargo department directly. Try Air Transat
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2021, 4:32 pm
  #11  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Does anyone know the best option for insurance these days? I've been talking with Anglo Pacific regarding shipping a few boxes and was surprised to find out that even with custom crates for some items, they don't insure a damn thing by default. I also found out what IPT is for the first time today. I didn't much care for it.

A few old threads on here seem to say good things about Letton Percival. Is that still a good way to go?
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2021, 5:19 pm
  #12  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,781
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Does anyone know the best option for insurance these days? I've been talking with Anglo Pacific regarding shipping a few boxes and was surprised to find out that even with custom crates for some items, they don't insure a damn thing by default. I also found out what IPT is for the first time today. I didn't much care for it.

A few old threads on here seem to say good things about Letton Percival. Is that still a good way to go?
I'm surprised they haven't tried to push their insurance on you - usually they insist you insure through them because there's often a 40% mark up on insurance. Interestingly, they say on their website "for more information please see our insurance page" - but don't give a link to it. It's never included in the quote, it's something that is added once they see the itemised documents of the contents and you give information about any high value items etc.

As you won't be able to attend customs etc., if the lockdown is still in place, you should ask for 'door to door' service (where they clear your items from the customs warehouse) - they will probably use a broker, but you may not have much choice. You will likely need to give them a copy of your 'goods to follow' stamped document, for them to be able to have the items released.
Letton Percival were always excellent, I can't see them having changed due to Covid.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2021, 5:32 pm
  #13  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
I'm surprised they haven't tried to push their insurance on you - usually they insist you insure through them because there's often a 40% mark up on insurance. Interestingly, they say on their website "for more information please see our insurance page" - but don't give a link to it. It's never included in the quote, it's something that is added once they see the itemised documents of the contents and you give information about any high value items etc.

As you won't be able to attend customs etc., if the lockdown is still in place, you should ask for 'door to door' service (where they clear your items from the customs warehouse) - they will probably use a broker, but you may not have much choice. You will likely need to give them a copy of your 'goods to follow' stamped document, for them to be able to have the items released.
Letton Percival were always excellent, I can't see them having changed due to Covid.
Tbh the guy I've been dealing with so far seems very relaxed but responsive. They have been quoting me for the door to door service and I would need that really because I don't drive. I've already offered them a copy of the personal effects document and they said that should be fine.

They've also said they would match any insurance quote I found elsewhere as long as it was from an accredited insurer. From my experience, should I try to keep it simple and get the whole thing through the shipping company or is keeping the two separate not too much of a hassle?

I only have a few items to ship which are worth a significant amount of money, and one in particular which they would be building a custom crate for. It just amazes me that even though they're offering a custom made box to ship it in safely, they don't actually insure it by default.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2021, 6:17 pm
  #14  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,781
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

I found it better to have separate insurance - for instance, the shippers I used managed to smash the legs on an antique table, smash half of the antique lead crystal glasses because they had neglected to pack them sufficiently - and some smaller bits and pieces. I contacted the insurance company (who were in Canada) and they sent an assessor over that week; I was able to converse with them easily and negotiate a settlement of my claim which I received within a week. There was no going through the shippers who often argue that it wasn't their company that broke the items - it must have been the company delivering the items (usually a different company) - or something similar... leading to protracted negotiations and a lower settlement.
I used Unirisc (Richmond Hill) for insurance..

You might want to read their summary of insurance for Anglo Pacific - particularly the part below - 'and unpacked' (only available on a web cache) http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...nt=firefox-b-d
For any goods in wardrobes, drawers or appliances, or in a package, bundle,
carton case or other container not both packed and unpacked by The Shipper
or the final delivery agent unless you pay the appropriate charge for Effects
Packed by Owner. Loss or damage to china, glassware and fragile items unless they
have been both professionally packed and unpacked by The Shipper or the final
delivery agent, unless you pay the appropriate charge for Effects Packed by Owner
and in light of your 'crated item'
ANTIQUES & ART CLAUSE
The amount recoverable in respect of loss or damage to antiques or objects of art is limited
to the cost of repair or the insured value, whichever is the lesser amount.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...urance-926812/
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 28th 2021 at 7:04 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2021, 7:54 am
  #15  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,504
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
I found it better to have separate insurance - for instance, the shippers I used managed to smash the legs on an antique table, smash half of the antique lead crystal glasses because they had neglected to pack them sufficiently - and some smaller bits and pieces. I contacted the insurance company (who were in Canada) and they sent an assessor over that week; I was able to converse with them easily and negotiate a settlement of my claim which I received within a week. There was no going through the shippers who often argue that it wasn't their company that broke the items - it must have been the company delivering the items (usually a different company) - or something similar... leading to protracted negotiations and a lower settlement.
I used Unirisc (Richmond Hill) for insurance..

You might want to read their summary of insurance for Anglo Pacific - particularly the part below - 'and unpacked' (only available on a web cache) http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...nt=firefox-b-d

and in light of your 'crated item'


https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana...urance-926812/
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping-Canada
Thanks, that's definitely something to keep in mind. The main concern is my desktop PC which is a high end custom machine. PC components are ridiculously expensive to replace atm which is why I wanted a decent amount of coverage on it if it did become damaged in transit.
DigitalGhost is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.