Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping boxes

Shipping boxes

Old Jan 29th 2021, 3:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping boxes

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks, that's definitely something to keep in mind. The main concern is my desktop PC which is a high end custom machine. PC components are ridiculously expensive to replace atm which is why I wanted a decent amount of coverage on it if it did become damaged in transit.
Welcome!
If you are comfortable with doing so, I'd suggest removing your HD's /SSD's, graphic cards etc., (with a note of any licenses you might need) placing them in anti-static bags and carrying them in your hand luggage (my son did this for his high end custom built machine). It's permitted >

Generally speaking PC components are cheaper here than Europe.. but I've noticed prices have increased too https://www.newegg.ca/Components/Store/ID-1
Old Jan 29th 2021, 4:00 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome!
If you are comfortable with doing so, I'd suggest removing your HD's /SSD's, graphic cards etc., (with a note of any licenses you might need) placing them in anti-static bags and carrying them in your hand luggage (my son did this for his high end custom built machine). It's permitted > https://twitter.com/asktsa/status/85...000576?lang=en

Generally speaking PC components are cheaper here than Europe.. but I've noticed prices have increased too https://www.newegg.ca/Components/Store/ID-1
I am definitely comfortable doing that since I built the machine in the first place.

I was originally going to ship it that way and then just buy a new case on arrival from NewEgg or something but the shipping companies told me it wouldn't cost too much to ship it as it is.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie we just landed got issued work permits etc I asked about our goods to follow and they told me I didn’t need to do this as we are coming in on a work permit.
I have paid for a door to door service, pss said to get the paperwork stamped but the guy at the airport wouldn’t even look at my paperwork just said nope don’t need to stamp it 🤷🏼‍♀️
didn’t know if this is correct?!
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:33 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fwilkin
Siouxie we just landed got issued work permits etc I asked about our goods to follow and they told me I didn’t need to do this as we are coming in on a work permit.
I have paid for a door to door service, pss said to get the paperwork stamped but the guy at the airport wouldn’t even look at my paperwork just said nope don’t need to stamp it 🤷🏼‍♀️
didn’t know if this is correct?!
Congrats on your arrival - woohooo!!
Did you tell him that you are a Provincial Nominee and have an application for PR in place? He should have stamped your GTF list as you are counted as 'settlers'
As you are now in quarantine for 14 days, you won't be able to attend any of the offices to get it stamped until it's finished. Where in Ontario have you ended up - there are some local offices.. you could give them a call and ask where you should go.. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-1-1-eng.html

Application for Permanent Resident Status

66. Temporary residents, who intend to change their status with CIC, to work in Canada for more than 36 months or to apply for permanent resident status at an inland office, must report to the CBSA immediately in order to permanently account for their goods. The acquittal of the temporary status and the completion of a Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document will be required. For example, a temporary resident who makes application for permanent resident (landed immigrant) status or to work in Canada for more than 36 months is then classified as a "settler" for customs purposes, and is no longer eligible to import goods on a temporary basis as a temporary resident. Refer to Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects – Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, for information on the entitlements available to settlers.
also: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html

Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much, everyone on expats especially you and christmasoompa have helped so much along the way.

So it was probably a bit of my fault too then as the man at the desk processing our work permits knew we had OINP but I didn’t tell that to the other guy.

I definitely think our pr application has got lost and will be re submitting in the next few weeks once quarantine is over, is there anyway we could ship them over on the work permit status before re submitting our pr? They are still in the uk at. The moment and we only have 8 boxes most of which are general household items, the only thing of real expense are my husbands work tools.

thanks again
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:33 pm
Banned

Thank you so much, everyone on expats especially you and christmasoompa have helped so much along the way.

So it was probably a bit of my fault too then as the man at the desk processing our work permits knew we had OINP but I didn’t tell that to the other guy.

I definitely think our pr application has got lost and will be re submitting in the next few weeks once quarantine is over, is there anyway we could ship them over on the work permit status before re submitting our pr? They are still in the uk at. The moment and we only have 8 boxes most of which are general household items, the only thing of real expense are my husbands work tools.

thanks again
Most welcome!

The information you need about importing your items is in the links I gave plus this one https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-2-1-eng.html Regardless of whether you try to bring them in as 'temporary workers' now, you will need to submit the GTF forms as 'settlers' once you have submitted the full application - you have Ontario PNP, so the officer should have picked up on it. You may as well do it once and leave it at that.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-1-1-eng.html

Application for Permanent Resident Status

66. Temporary residents, who intend to change their status with CIC, to work in Canada for more than 36 months or to apply for permanent resident status at an inland office, must report to the CBSA immediately in order to permanently account for their goods. The acquittal of the temporary status and the completion of a Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document will be required. For example, a temporary resident who makes application for permanent resident (landed immigrant) status or to work in Canada for more than 36 months is then classified as a "settler" for customs purposes, and is no longer eligible to import goods on a temporary basis as a temporary resident. Refer to Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects – Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, for information on the entitlements available to settlers.
Regarding the tools - if they are physical tools such as mechanic / electrician / plumber / gas fitter / carpenter etc., would use on a worksite - you would have to pay duty and taxes on them regardless of whether you are 'settlers' or not if they were listed as work tools by mistake.. they must be for personal use to qualify. If they are tools that he will use for personal use, i.e.household repairs or for a hobby - and they are listed as such - there shouldn't be duty and taxes.
Unless they are Canadian Safety Standards stamped he may not be allowed to use them on work sites anyway,

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 31st 2021 at 3:50 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I am definitely comfortable doing that since I built the machine in the first place.

I was originally going to ship it that way and then just buy a new case on arrival from NewEgg or something but the shipping companies told me it wouldn't cost too much to ship it as it is.
That's exactly what I plan on doing if the move ver happens, I'm going to ditch the PSU/Case, everything else going back in its original boxes (aside from CPU and NVME HDD which can stay on the motherboard) and it'll go in hand luggage - its amazing how small it all packs down now (mini ATX, NVME etc), its literally like shipping a couple of magazines, or an A4 textbook.

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Regarding the tools - if they are physical tools such as mechanic / electrician / plumber / gas fitter / carpenter etc., would use on a worksite - you would have to pay duty and taxes on them regardless of whether you are 'settlers' or not if they were listed as work tools by mistake.. they must be for personal use to qualify. If they are tools that he will use for personal use, i.e.household repairs or for a hobby - and they are listed as such - there shouldn't be duty and taxes.
Unless they are Canadian Safety Standards stamped he may not be allowed to use them on work sites anyway,
Is the ultimate decision on "personal" use down to the immigration officer? I'm a jack of all trades (and absolute master of none) but trade was a mechanic so have a few thousands worth in mechanics tools (which will come sans toolbox) - have no concrete plans on going back into the trade being honest (I'm attached to the trade in the UK still, but don't swing spanners for a living anymore) . On top of this have renovated a couple of properties so have amassed a lot of tools - granted cement mixer will be staying home, unlikely I will ship things like chainsaws etc unless there is spare space in the pallet. but all my cordless tools, framing hammer, fancy trowels, laser levels etc will be coming with me if I go for the pallet option. But aside from the pieces I likely wont bring, all tools are sort of pro-grade.

I'd likely throw everything in aluminium locker I have and put it on a pallet - second hand value for me to sell everything in the UK is maybe £4000, price to replace it all new for new - probably going the wrong side of 5 figures! Can honestly say apart from cakes and a bottle of a whisky or 2 from mates, none of the tools have earned me a £ (they've saved me tens of thousands in not paying professionals), but it looks far from a hobby set up.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 11:02 pm
Banned

It's down to the official who inspects your shipment, together with the GTF list, and your status.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 5:10 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
That's exactly what I plan on doing if the move ver happens, I'm going to ditch the PSU/Case, everything else going back in its original boxes (aside from CPU and NVME HDD which can stay on the motherboard) and it'll go in hand luggage - its amazing how small it all packs down now (mini ATX, NVME etc), its literally like shipping a couple of magazines, or an A4 textbook.
You might not need to chuck the PSU, especially if it's a decent one. Most them will switch between 100-240v these days and can be more expensive to replace than to send. If you've got anything higher than a decent bronze rated one then I'd recommend looking up the specs on it before throwing it away.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Siouxie I drove upto the CBSA yesterday at Toronto to get my goods to follow stamped and the officer said they do not do it until the goods arrive in the country. She said once they arrive they will contact us and then we have to go to the office get our documents stamped and then they forward the boxes to us.
Im now confused as everything I read here and everything the shipping company told me is that I should get the paperwork stamped upon arrival, Id rather not ship it at all than ship it and it all gets lost.

Old Feb 15th 2021, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie I drove upto the CBSA yesterday at Toronto to get my goods to follow stamped and the officer said they do not do it until the goods arrive in the country. She said once they arrive they will contact us and then we have to go to the office get our documents stamped and then they forward the boxes to us.
Im now confused as everything I read here and everything the shipping company told me is that I should get the paperwork stamped upon arrival, Id rather not ship it at all than ship it and it all gets lost.
The way it is supposed to happen is you present the goods to follow list at the POE where you land at. CBSA stamp it and give it you back. You are then supposed to be notified by the shipper when the goods have arrived in Canada and then you take the stamped GTF list to the nearest CBSA office and then clear them.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 4:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The way it is supposed to happen is you present the goods to follow list at the POE where you land at. CBSA stamp it and give it you back. You are then supposed to be notified by the shipper when the goods have arrived in Canada and then you take the stamped GTF list to the nearest CBSA office and then clear them.
+1
Old Feb 16th 2021, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.
when we came through the airport at Toronto the 2 officers on duty refused to stamp or even look at my paperwork, they barely wanted a conversation with us after hearing we had come from the U.K. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Old Feb 16th 2021, 11:45 am
Sidecar Falcon

Thanks.
when we came through the airport at Toronto the 2 officers on duty refused to stamp or even look at my paperwork, they barely wanted a conversation with us after hearing we had come from the U.K. 🤷🏼‍♀️
When was this? When I came through there just less than a week ago they were nothing but polite, relaxed, and friendly. They even helped me with my luggage because I was using a baggage cart and put too much weight on one side so it nearly fell over.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Welcome to Canada..