British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Security threats!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/security-threats-389800/)

BC Hopefuls Aug 10th 2006 9:07 am

Re: Security threats!!!

Originally Posted by Lees147
The risk laptops possess is believe it or not it is possible to hack into an airplane and fly it remotely

PMSL ....... WTF????? Hubbys been flying airlines for over 30 years and even the latest fly by wire planes can't be hacked into and flown by a remote laptop. Time for a reality check here.....

Souvenir Aug 10th 2006 9:09 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Sure, isnt what that OnStar thing in the upmarket cars offers? If they offer it, then someone else must. If not then theres a business niche to be explored, Personal assistant to the unwashed masses.

I'd love to see someone try to check in an upmarket car at an Air Canada desk :)

Anyroadup, I don't see any real value in continuing this circular argument. Besides, the missus will be home any moment and probably wanting some form of dinner. So I'd better clear off the kitchen counter for her. Least I can do. She's probably had a hard day.

Lees147 Aug 10th 2006 9:09 am

I know it would be inconvenient for every one to go without select things but there is always an alternative instead of finding problems with their suggestions why not think about solutions.

If everyone pulled there heads together you would find all the problems and the solutions to those problems in no time at all.

The biggest benefit of this would be potentially saving lives so it is well worth it.

I know what i'm suggesting may come accross hippyish or lovey-dovey but it is just the way i have been taught to think as a safety first - convenience later engineer

Lees147 Aug 10th 2006 9:11 am

Originally Posted by BC Hopefuls
PMSL ....... WTF????? Hubbys been flying airlines for over 30 years and even the latest fly by wire planes can't be hacked into and flown by a remote laptop. Time for a reality check here.....

That was something that the news stated this morning. whether it is true or not you still neglected my second point of it could be programmed to detonate a bomb.

iaink Aug 10th 2006 9:15 am

If everyone pulled there heads together you would find all the problems and the solutions to those problems in no time at all.

Maybe the effort would be equally well spent trying figuring out why these attacks are occuring, and trying to move the situation to a point where they dont.

There was a time not so long ago when this kind of thing did not happen, certainly not on this scale, and it wasnt the result if increased security, it was due to more tollerance or something?

There, now i sound like a idealistic hippy too :)

Have a great weekend. Enjoy life!

britsnake Aug 10th 2006 9:15 am

The risk laptops possess is believe it or not it is possible to hack into an airplane and fly it remotely. you can also programme a 'remote' control to detonate a bomb from a laptop.

If it's possible to hack into an airplane now, there are many things they can do to minimise that risk. As to a bomb, if they were careless enough to let one get on, it could also be detonated by some other way.

What the terrorist want is to cause maximum disruption to our ecconomy and to our lives. We cannot let them. You can hide under your bed jumping at shadows or you can assess the risk and act accordingly. What they are doing is ok for a couple of days but no more. Anything longer would be disproportionate.

Butch Cassidy Aug 10th 2006 9:17 am

That was something that the news stated this morning. whether it is true or not you still neglected my second point of it could be programmed to detonate a bomb.

so could a frickin' cellphone or any number of other easily concealed devices

Lees147 Aug 10th 2006 9:18 am

Originally Posted by britsnake
If it's possible to hack into an airplane now, there are many things they can do to minimise that risk. As to a bomb, if they were careless enough to let one get on, it could also be detonated by some other way.

What the terrorist want is to cause maximum disruption to our ecconomy and to our lives. We cannot let them. You can hide under your bed jumping at shadows or you can assess the risk and act accordingly. What they are doing is ok for a couple of days but no more. Anything longer would be disproportionate.

I am not suggesting to hide. I am suggesting that instead of sitting there and putting up with it change the system so that they actually cannot terrorise us

Lees147 Aug 10th 2006 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
so could a frickin' cellphone or any number of other easily concealed devices

I am using a laptop as an example they have also named remote controls i.e. car keys.

these items can be left in your suitcase where you cannot use them on the flight

Lees147 Aug 10th 2006 9:20 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe the effort would be equally well spent trying figuring out why these attacks are occuring, and trying to move the situation to a point where they dont.

There was a time not so long ago when this kind of thing did not happen, certainly not on this scale, and it wasnt the result if increased security, it was due to more tollerance or something?

There, now i sound like a idealistic hippy too :)

Have a great weekend. Enjoy life!

Agreed but at the same time something of the sort could be equally done by another organisation.

BC Hopefuls Aug 10th 2006 9:21 am

Absolutely agree, there are a hundred different devices that can be used to detonate bombs.

I flew as cabin crew for years and part of our training was to be instructed as to the safest place on each plane to place a bomb should you find one on board :scared:
It was on the floor of the cabin where the minimum number of control lines ran through so if it detonated it wouldn't cause loss of control. We were instructed to cover the package with as many blankets and coats as we could get and move passengers to sit in other rows. The pilots would then descend to an altitude where they could de pressurise the cabin so if it went off we wouldn't get passengers sucked out :D

Yeah I know i'm getting on a bit now and that was a long time ago but no duff guys its really true ;) ;) ;)

Lees147 Aug 10th 2006 9:22 am

Originally Posted by BC Hopefuls
Absolutely agree, there are a hundred different devices that can be used to detonate bombs.

I flew as cabin crew for years and part of our training was to be instructed as to the safest place on each plane to place a bomb should you find one on board :scared:
It was on the floor of the cabin where the minimum number of control lines ran through so if it detonated it wouldn't cause loss of control. We were instructed to cover the package with as many blankets and coats as we could get and move passengers to sit in other rows. The pilots would then descend to an altitude where they could de pressurise the cabin so if it went off we wouldn't get passengers sucked out :D

Yeah I know i'm getting on a bit now and that was a long time ago but no duff guys its really true ;) ;) ;)

It is good that we have a trained professional in the discussion what are you views?

Butch Cassidy Aug 10th 2006 9:27 am

I am using a laptop as an example they have also named remote controls i.e. car keys.

these items can be left in your suitcase where you cannot use them on the flight

Anybody asking me to place my keys in my suitcase would be told exactly where to go.
I've seen too many suitcases rifled through and 'lost'.

iaink Aug 10th 2006 9:29 am

I am not suggesting to hide. I am suggesting that instead of sitting there and putting up with it change the system so that they actually cannot terrorise us

Its pointless though in the long run, that point will never arrive though security measures alone.

As long as they are sufficiently motivated to sacrifice their own life, they will always be able to terrorise those prepared to cower in fright. You can change whatever you like, it wont change that fact, they could just gun you down in the terminal, or gun you down waiting to get past new security to get in the terminal, or gun you down in the street.

The fact that it was an aircraft related plot this time really doesn't make any difference to the reality which is if they're prepared to die in the act, you are not ever going to be 100% safe anywhere.

oceanMDX Aug 10th 2006 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Anybody asking me to place my keys in my suitcase would be told exactly where to go.
I've seen too many suitcases rifled through and 'lost'.

....and you would be told to take some other means of transportation.