British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Security threats!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/security-threats-389800/)

Lees147 Aug 10th 2006 9:29 am

Re: Security threats!!!

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Anybody asking me to place my keys in my suitcase would be told exactly where to go.
I've seen too many suitcases rifled through and 'lost'.

Then perhaps the airline can give you a lockable metal box that you write your name on and then you place all banned items in this and they then hide/lock these away before takeoff

Lees147 Aug 10th 2006 9:31 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Its pointless though in the long run, that point will never arrive though security measures alone.

As long as they are sufficiently motivated to sacrifice their own life, they will always be able to terrorise those prepared to cower in fright. You can change whatever you like, it wont change that fact, they could just gun you down in the terminal, or gun you down waiting to get past new security to get in the terminal, or gun you down in the street.

The fact that it was an aircraft related plot this time really doesn't make any difference to the reality which is if they're prepared to die in the act, you are not ever going to be 100% safe anywhere.

I see your point but at the same time the terrorist gunning people down in the street doesn't create the impact they desire. Also this would be easier to control than a plane flying into a landmark.

BC Hopefuls Aug 10th 2006 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Lees147
It is good that we have a trained professional in the discussion what are you views?

I don't think you can ever stop terrorists as all they have to do is find the weakness in the system and exploit it. As I said before it was many many years ago that I flew and at that time it would have been fairly easy for any member of the crew to smuggle anything on board as we were never searched or had our bags x rayed. The only checks we really had were returning home when customs were more interested in checking we didn't have more that the one pack of fags and one miniature of whisky we were allowed :mad:

Air crew nowadays have to go through the same checks as the passengers.

I guess even today sleepers could work in catering for years and one day slip something in the catering carts. Swap a couple of sausages for a stick or two of dynamite :rolleyes:

Yes, the authorities must be seen to be doing something but in the end you foil this one, they will think of another way. After all once the shoe idea was foiled they won't try that one again as now all shoes are checked. This time they have managed to work something with soft drinks so now if they are banned on board they will just think of another way to conceal the explosives. I won't be surprised if we get to having internal inspections before boarding if this carries on. After all that's where they hide the drugs ;)

It does drive me mad how much air time we give this type of activity though. I think that plays right into their hands. Even if they don't manage to kill anybody we shouldn't give them the satisfaction of knowing how much disruption they have caused. The financial losses today are massive, a good day to buy airline shares maybe?

Anyway that has knackered me and I'm off to bed.....
Nil illegitimus carborundum

Butch Cassidy Aug 10th 2006 9:45 am

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
....and you would be told to take some other means of transportation.

Never have in the past.

BC Hopefuls Aug 10th 2006 9:49 am

Anybody asking me to place my keys in my suitcase would be told exactly where to go.
I've seen too many suitcases rifled through and 'lost'.

They don't call it 'Thiefrow' for nothing .... yeah, yeah, I'm going....

oceanMDX Aug 10th 2006 10:27 am

Never have in the past.

So you let the authorities know in the past that the rules don't apply to you, and they just let it go at that?

britsnake Aug 10th 2006 10:28 am

I remember the old IRA bomb threats we used to have. How did they deal with it? We negotiated we made some concessions we brought them into the mainstream political process. Now they are not a problem anymore.

I worked in a Muslim company for a few years that had some disaffected young Muslims with quite radical views. I talked with them, I argued rationally and I think some saw my point. But you should be aware that many of my older colleagues felt equally angry and cynical about our actions and motivation re the middle east. If half the things they believe about our governments actions in their countries are true they do have a legitimate grievance.

You can't stop terrorism through ever increasing security or through military action. They always find a way through. What works is negotiation and money. This approach works banning laptops doesn't.

oceanMDX Aug 10th 2006 10:30 am

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but they just reported on CNN that the terrorists made a suicide video to be released after the latest planned attacks had been carried out.

Butch Cassidy Aug 10th 2006 10:31 am

So you let the authorities know in the past that the rules don't apply to you, and they just let it go at that?

I have been asked if I would place a set of keys in an item of baggage destined to go into the hold. I explained this was not possible, the person requesting this asked why I explained they consulted with a supervisor and the keys remained with me.

oceanMDX Aug 10th 2006 10:32 am

Originally Posted by britsnake
You can't stop terrorism through ever increasing security or through military action. They always find a way through. What works is negotiation and money. This approach works banning laptops doesn't.

That's true, otherwise, the terrorists will continue to make their attempts and they only have to be right once.

oceanMDX Aug 10th 2006 10:34 am

I have been asked if I would place a set of keys in an item of baggage destined to go into the hold. I explained this was not possible, the person requesting this asked why I explained they consulted with a supervisor and the keys remained with me.

Okay, the supervisor reversed his underling..... they won't let you have your keys now though.

Mercedes Aug 10th 2006 10:48 am

Originally Posted by britsnake
I remember the old IRA bomb threats we used to have. How did they deal with it? We negotiated we made some concessions we brought them into the mainstream political process. Now they are not a problem anymore.

I worked in a Muslim company for a few years that had some disaffected young Muslims with quite radical views. I talked with them, I argued rationally and I think some saw my point. But you should be aware that many of my older colleagues felt equally angry and cynical about our actions and motivation re the middle east. If half the things they believe about our governments actions in their countries are true they do have a legitimate grievance.

Would you say that the IRA were different to the muslim fundamentalists. If they hate us how will money and negotiation necessarily work. They have the money, they are brainwashed into their reason and maybe they have some grievance in making us pay. It isn't just what we have done in the middle east, some of them don't like the morals of the western world, in fact some are disgusted by it and how we westerners live.

Butch Cassidy Aug 10th 2006 10:54 am

Okay, the supervisor reversed his underling..... they won't let you have your keys now though.

Funny, my wife flew to and from Vancouver with hers recently. :confused:

I'm not for a minute saying you are incorrect, I'm just wondering how long this has been in effect?

Edit to add: She has two remote central locking devices on her key ring

Steve_P Aug 10th 2006 11:00 am

I am curious when did keys become a no go item for carry on. I can find no reference to them in the current directive put out this morning by the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

It seems to be all about liquids not keys.:confused:

Nor can I find any reference to keys not being allowed either as carry-on or stowed baggage on the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority website.

The only thing I could find was that you can't take on "Fake ammunition including belts made with fake bullets and bullet key chains"

Butch Cassidy Aug 10th 2006 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Hangman
I am curious when did keys become a no go item for carry on. I can find no reference to them in the current directive put out this morning by the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

It seems to be all about liquids not keys.:confused:

Nor can I find any reference to keys not being allowed either as carry-on or stowed baggage on the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority website.

The only thing I could find was that you can't take on "Fake ammunition including belts made with fake bullets and bullet key chains"

My incident was in the UK. Was quite a large of set keys and contained some 'unusual' shaped ones.