Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security threats!!!

Security threats!!!

Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security threats!!!

Originally Posted by Lees147
At the end of the day even if in it's whole life time these new proposals save 1 persons life then that is well worth all the hassle of changing from a backpack to a clear plastic bag. And banning a few unsolicite items.
If the saving of one life is worth the cost of millions and millions of dollars in extra security screening, how on earth does that tie in with the loss of thousands of innocent lives in Iraq and Afghanistan on both sides.

You know, picking when, where and how to fight is not giving up, its using your brain. Maybe you would be better suited to emigrating to the USA.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 10th 2006 at 8:19 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Are you talking about the luggage or the cabin staff??
Ha! AC don't have staff young and fit enough to slash ankles. I loved a comment in the airport the other day "When I see an Air Canada flight attendant coming, pushing the cart like it's a walker, I feel obliged to get up and help her".

200 lbs, btw is a bit over 14 stone. Sorry for not putting that in English initially.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:18 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Tail wagging dog. The purpose of business flights is to take a person and computer to a client's site. Airlines cannot be trusted with luggage, it's forever getting lost, so they certainly cannot be trusted be computers. Souvenir's right, if airlines enforced a ban on computers they'd lose their profitable passengers.
If you need a computer, what would be wrong in connecting remotely from that office using a computer terminal? or what would be wrong in saving all you need on to a memory stick/cd/dvd/any other storage device and then you do not need a laptop. The important thing is the person not the 'gadgets'.
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! AC don't have staff young and fit enough to slash ankles. I loved a comment in the airport the other day "When I see an Air Canada flight attendant coming, pushing the cart like it's a walker, I feel obliged to get up and help her".

200 lbs, btw is a bit over 14 stone. Sorry for not putting that in English initially.
I agree BUT they are certainly bags!!!!!
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So you basically propose having the plane to yourself then?

Have you seen the size of the average north american? I count myself among that group. I guess Im walking then.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:20 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

If you need a computer, what would be wrong in connecting remotely from that office using a computer terminal? or what would be wrong in saving all you need on to a memory stick/cd/dvd/any other storage device and then you do not need a laptop. The important thing is the person not the 'gadgets'.

Oh FFS how in gods name do you download\upload all your programs etc using portable media. Get with the real world will you.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:21 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
If the loss of one life is worth the cost of millions and millions of dollars in extra security screening, how on earth does that tie in with the loss of thousands of innocent lives in Iraq and Afghanistan on both sides.

You know, picking when, where and how to fight is not giving up, its using your brain. Maybe you would be better suited to emigrating to the USA.
Firstly they do not go to iraq in my name i protested against that form of action i believe it was a good idea getting rid of saddam hussain though there were other routes.

A persons life is priceless if it was your life you would agree with that

Stopping them is using your brain.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't travel for business, do you?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Oh FFS how in gods name do you download\upload all your programs etc using portable media. Get with the real world will you.
How many different programs do you use? I can get by with excel and powerpoint for what I do, so maybe he has a point. If you have specific software needs then it is possible to run your PC remotely if necessary.

Besides, if everyone has to check there laptop, the odds of yours getting nicked out of all those passing through the baggage handlers will be vastly reduced
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:25 pm
Banned

So the fact that you can read an e-mail/use CAD or microsoft office is more important than (in todays example) 2000 people.

This is not a 1 off attack.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

A persons life is priceless if it was your life you would agree with that
You really think that politicians, insurance companies, big businesses all dont assign a $ value to a human life? You are living in a dream Im afraid. People are expendable, bad shit happens to nice people all the time.

The price on my life is about $650k, at least thats what its insured for.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

How many different programs do you use? I can get by with excel and powerpoint for what I do, so maybe he has a point. If you have specific software needs then it is possible to run your PC remotely if necessary.

No, no, no, you still need your own machine to connect to it.

<leaves to go sailing, much more dangerous than flying!>
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

So the fact that you can read an e-mail/use CAD or microsoft office is more important than (in todays example) 2000 people.

This is not a 1 off attack.
Except

A: 2000 people did not die, the attack was foiled by police intelegence

B: It would appear this is a one off attack, or at least the first of this mass air travel attack sort since 9-11

C: CAD on a notebook is a tall order, most dont have the guts to carry that off with modern 3D CADputer requirements

Last edited by iaink; Aug 10th 2006 at 8:32 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:28 pm
Banned

You don't travel for business, do you?
I do travel for business but do not forget that there are many means other than a laptop if your client will not cater for you when you make these proposals(stating in terms of security please could you provide at our cost) then maybe they are not worth working with
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:30 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

How many different programs do you use? I can get by with excel and powerpoint for what I do, so maybe he has a point.
Spot the engineer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.