Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security threats!!!

Security threats!!!

Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Security threats!!!

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
My incident was in the UK. Was quite a large of set keys and contained some 'unusual' shaped ones.
OK I see, but to the best of my knowledge this has never been the case here in Canada.

That seems to be backed-up by the fact I could find no reference to keys on the official government website.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:09 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
OK I see, but to the best of my knowledge this has never been the case here in Canada.

That seems to be backed-up by the fact I could find no reference to keys on the official government website.
My point which is why my question to Ocean who maintains that keys (of any sort) are no longer allowed on flights.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:11 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

On British flights, they make reference to Key fobs (the electronic part and not the keys per se):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../BNStory/Front

CNN was saying that keys were restricted.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 10th 2006 at 11:14 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Simple economics dictates that these security measures will be short term. Otherwise there is no point to all those nice shops in Heathrow (oft described as a shopping mall with an airport attached), no lucrative business travellers and then ultimately no travellers at all really because who can be bothered with sitting on a plane for 10 hours with no book, no water, no portable dvd player, no laptop, no ipod etc. Leisure travel will just about die. Essential travel only. Probably good for the environment but frankly don't see it happening!

AC will of course use this as an excuse to press for a continued ban on taking food on planes so they can charge through the nose for it!

AX
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:24 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
On British flights, they make reference to Key fobs (the electronic part and not the keys per se):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../BNStory/Front

CNN was saying that keys were restricted.
So you now admit that in post 146 you were (once again and an increasingly common occurence for you) spreading misinformation and talking Bullox???
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:30 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

So you now admit that in post 146 you were (once again and an increasingly common occurence for you) spreading misinformation and talking Bullox???
Look, a reporter on CNN mentioned that keys were restricted on flights. They may have meant that only keys that have fobs integrated with them are restricted. Are you saying that keys with an integrated fob are permitted on all flights? Or are you saying that you didn't know that there are keys with an integrated fob? On post #148 you didn't know that fobs were restricted.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 10th 2006 at 11:57 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:37 pm
Banned

Look, a reporter on CNN mentioned that keys were restricted on flights. They may have meant that only keys that have fobs integrated with them are restricted. Are you saying that keys with an integrated fob are permitted on all flights? Or are you saying that you didn't know that there are keys with an integrated fob?
READ your OWN post (#146) at no point in that post did you qualify your assertion that keys of ANY SORT were banned from ALL flights.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:29 am
mañana is my busiest day

READ your OWN post (#146) at no point in that post did you qualify your assertion that keys of ANY SORT were banned from ALL flights.

READ your OWN post (#148) at no point in that post did you acknowledge that key fobs or keys integrated with fobs were restricted.

As I already told you.... CNN reported - on TV - that keys were restricted... they should have said keys with batteries. This may come as news to you, but I'm not responsible for CNN.

BTW, I'm getting a little tried with your trolling Butch... aren't you needed on the Maple Leaf forum?
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:41 am
Banned

READ your OWN post (#148) at no point in that post did you acknowledge that key fobs or keys integrated with fobs were restricted.

As I already told you.... CNN reported - on TV - that keys were restricted... they should have said keys with batteries. This may come as news to you, but I'm not responsible for CNN.

BTW, I'm getting a little tried with your trolling Butch... aren't you needed on the Maple Leaf forum?
FFS sake I didnt need to qualify anything
Your assertion was ALL KEYS WERE BANNED ON ALL FLIGHTS.
Your subsequently posted link(s) refered to INTERGRATED FOBS ON FLIGHTS LEAVING UK AIRPORTS.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Listen the canadian govt doesnt have the intelligence to make sure their website (which is in part paid for from my tax dollars) Mac compatible. I had to download IE to fill out their stupid census survey.....so I wouldnt expect very much from them.

Last edited by willmore; Aug 11th 2006 at 12:48 am.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:50 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
Listen the canadian govt doesnt have the intelligence to make sure their website (which is in part paid for from my tax dollars).....so I wouldnt expect very much from them.
I am sorry you've hit a sore spot and I have to disagree. The political parties than run the government perhaps don't have the intelligence.

But as a former government employee I am sick and tired of hearing how useless government departments and their employees are.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I am sorry you've hit a sore spot and I have to disagree. The political parties than run the government perhaps don't have the intelligence.

But as a former government employee I am sick and tired of hearing how useless government departments and their employees are.
Well ok then I will revised my message to say that the political parties that run the govt dont know their ass from a hole in the ground......and then there's this one particularly sweet retired govt employee.....well I wont go on....!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lees147
I do travel for business but do not forget that there are many means other than a laptop if your client will not cater for you when you make these proposals(stating in terms of security please could you provide at our cost) then maybe they are not worth working with
I find the syntax here a little garbled but suppose, for example, that I am being paid to make a presentation to some group of technicians or salespeople. Typically the deal is that the auditorium will be wired for light and sound and a port provided. I would be expected to walk in and present using slides with clever bells and whistles; bells and whistles dependent upon the machine and careful configuration.

Suppose I'm demonstrating software; I might boot as Windows or as Unix and run a demo I've practised a thousand times, a demo requiring complex software that took weeks to set up and cost thousands of dollars (I have Oracle, SQL Server, DB2/UDB, Websphere, all manner of database and communications stuff).

Whatever I'm doing I'll end up in a hotel and need to access client's machines; that uses VPN software, which is a bugger to set up and, since I deal with a lot of clients, has to be set up lots of times. I'll then check the email, check GU and look here, all of which requires userids and passwords I've long forgotten but which live in the machine. I'll likely receive email concerning the immigration proceedings for my common law spouse and the interminable ligtigation relating to spouses gone by; dealing with that requires easy access to documents such as petitions and tax returns which are stored on my computer. I might do some banking, I've no idea what my account details are with the various banks; they're all in the computer.

In short, with the machine it doesn't matter where I am physically, I can work and deal with the administrivia of life as if I was at home without the computer I can't do very much really. In this regard I am typical of business travellers in North America; can't take the machine, no point in flying.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Computers are pretty ubiquitous in the companies I have visited. On one occasion a company visited us from California for a product demo, but there PC that ran the equipment got screwed up by the bagage handlers. They borrowed one from us, it was no big deal.

We bought the product, so it did not affect our view of them.
Oh sure, I carry presentations on a memory stick so, in the worst case, I can explain what the product does. Still, if it was infeasible to take the laptop to Europe I'd put the hard drive contents on a server, buy another one when I got there and download the drive. I couldn't properly manage without the machine.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
I cant think of anywhere you would go to do business that did not have or could not get a PC on site

That security thing had occured to me, but on the other hand they could just nick you notebook from your hotel.

Im with Souvy, video conferencing is the way to go, Id rather be home with the wife and kids at the end of the day. Winter trips to California excepted of course
This is a problem if your client has a secure site. They will not allow remote demos to be accessed from such places. To use an example I don't think is especially sensitive, the federal bureau of prisons is very very nervous about computers on their network accessing remote sites or vice-versa, if you want to sell them something you have to go there, have your machine screened and then use it to access your remote machine where the video-conference/demo is based. Other government departments are much more strict than that, in some cases you have to be carded before you can even give a remote presentation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.