Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Saskatchewan - What is it like?

The tunnels are a must we did both the chinese immigrants and the al capone tour really great fun and interesting! The springs are a great place to stay defo worth getting a massage there! There is also a excellent victorian house with excellent food which is worth a look i cannot remember the name of that though!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rooney2603
Hi, I have been told that Saskatchewan is a great place to live particularly Moose Jaw.

Can someone tell me what they think of the area and whether its a good place to raise children. And why its a good place to raise kids.

My husband is a Carpenter, so any companies that you know in the area, that are looking for carpenters on the immigrant worker program would be great.

Mainly though, I want to know why Saskatchewan is a great place to live.

What I have found out already about the area has been really positive but I would like to know what british immigrants think.

Thanks.
I missed this thread..ooops, but here I am. We live in Indian Head and really love it, the Saskatchewan people on a whole are so friendly and the community have welcomed us with open arms. Even in the city, Regina people are friendly and young shop workers are courteous and have helped us with many a dumb question and I know that in the UK the shop workers could hardly open their mouths to speak.
We were only through Moose Jaw last June and it looked lovely, we were thinking of settling there but my OH drives to Regina each day and thought it would be too far.
You will not be disappointed with Saskatchewan, the negative comments on BE always come from people who have never lived here
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse
Hi Yorkton

We are all booked up for our recci 3rd March

All we have to do now is get the car sorted...we are very happy bunnies.

Any tips about stuff - is there anything interesting to do and see from Regina to Yorkton, and from Yorkton to Saskatoon and from Saskatoon to Moose Jaw and from Moose Jaw back to Regina?

Yorkton is where we are hoping to have the prosepective employment and Saskatoon is visiting family and Moose Jaw because we can (and its closer to get in the hot spring rather than Banff!)

Does Moose Jaw get busy enough at this time of year to warrant pre-booking a room somewhere or can we just wing it?

Are there any MJ recommendations for places to stay and see and eat etc.
This is our holiday part of the recci so we feel that a little tourism is allowed and there are no kids with us

Many thanks

Simon and Dawn
Oh well done Dawn, everything has worked out in the end and things must be well
If you fancy swinging by Indian Head on your way from Regina to Yorkton, come out the #1 highway and stop with us for a visit and then you can go up the #56 to Katepwa Lake and through the Qu'ppelle valley to Yorkton.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:27 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
If you fancy swinging by Indian Head on your way from Regina to Yorkton, come out the #1 highway and stop with us for a visit and then you can go up the #56 to Katepwa Lake and through the Qu'ppelle valley to Yorkton.
Look at you showing off now you've got a settee to site on
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Look at you showing off now you've got a settee to site on
ssshhh..don't tell them I only have the one though
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:39 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

ssshhh..don't tell them I only have the one though
Thanks for the offer, if we may we would aim to call in on the 2nd - probably early pm? We will take your number and ring you from Regina that weekend.
I'm ****ered if I can fit this settee in my bag though:curse:
Mr HPM (for a change)
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:04 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Having let Mr Mouse in for a brief word...Thank you for that - would love to meet and put faces and names together...don't worry about the seating arrangements - I have a derrier too large to sit on a fence

Well as far as the things go - we've booked our tickets and I am going to tell a little white lie to the Doctors at the hospital tomorrow that I need to be fit to fly on the 28th as I am going to Canada...get on with it. Things have gone well this week so I am hoping the carry over of the PMA (thanks Purple80) from Wednesdays debarcles will help then on Friday.

More on that tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I will also get on to PMing Welshlady and Roanin this evening too.

Thanks Scottymallo - we like the look of the spa and caves. Will report back.

Dawn
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:47 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having let Mr Mouse in for a brief word...Thank you for that - would love to meet and put faces and names together...don't worry about the seating arrangements - I have a derrier too large to sit on a fence

Well as far as the things go - we've booked our tickets and I am going to tell a little white lie to the Doctors at the hospital tomorrow that I need to be fit to fly on the 28th as I am going to Canada...get on with it. Things have gone well this week so I am hoping the carry over of the PMA (thanks Purple80) from Wednesdays debarcles will help then on Friday.

More on that tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I will also get on to PMing Welshlady and Roanin this evening too.

Thanks Scottymallo - we like the look of the spa and caves. Will report back.

Dawn
Sending more PMA for tomorrow

Charlie
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

bobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Get a sheet of plain white paper (not lined or marked in any way) and lie it on a table. Put your head to the table and look across the paper. It's kinda like that.
You can sit on the front porch and watch your dog run away for 2 days
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:50 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbiel
You can sit on the front porch and watch your dog run away for 2 days
Not in this weather unless they've got sunglasses and boots on that is
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:40 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Originally Posted by purple80
Sending more PMA for tomorrow

Charlie
would you believe - just phoned for the results - more p****ing about next week literally - more tests. But alas PMA not enough for this one

Still very very about Wednesday we still can't stop

HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dawn
PS Simon said they wanted to emigrate to Canada - would it be politic if I sent him a postcard? Or what about a real estate listing for about $50k and just wrote on "Thanks" - Do you think he would be upset????? :curse:
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:57 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

would you believe - just phoned for the results - more p****ing about next week literally - more tests. But alas PMA not enough for this one

Still very very about Wednesday we still can't stop

HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dawn
PS Simon said they wanted to emigrate to Canada - would it be politic if I sent him a postcard? Or what about a real estate listing for about $50k and just wrote on "Thanks" - Do you think he would be upset????? :curse:
Ahhh,

Sorry that the hospital are still pissing you about , mmm postcard , hell yeah why not.....
Charlie
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to saskatchewan on an exchange program and I have to admit that it wasnt my first choice, I'd never heard of it and its extremely isolated and I really dont think its possible to explain what the prarie provinces are like to a brit unless they've been there.

Saskatchewan has about the same population of cheshire so its far from densly populated and its easy to feel isolate, when your in the city it isnt so bad but if you go to a prarie town then you are. To people who've spent their entire lives in towns like this they either love it and find it difficult to ajust to the city, or they hate it and cant wait to get there.

A large town is roughly a 1000 people, but only 300 people will live in the town the rest will be farmers in the surrounding area and alot of people live a long way from the city, I spent thanksgiving with a family who went to the city twice a year because it took about 8 hours to drive.

Towns like these have benifits because you litterally know everone in town but at the same time its a problem because you know everyone in town.

Personally I thought the small town had its charms but its a very difficult enviroment for Brits to live in because its so forign to our own experiences, its incredibly traditional, we went to church, went up to the grandparents farm had thanksgiving dinner then went shooting.

I recomend searching for corner gas online, it'll give you a fair idea of what sk is like because its set in a fictional sk town.

One of the odd little things about small town culture is that they all hate each other despite the fact (or because of) there all exactly the same.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stubby42
I went to saskatchewan on an exchange program and I have to admit that it wasnt my first choice, I'd never heard of it and its extremely isolated and I really dont think its possible to explain what the prarie provinces are like to a brit unless they've been there.

Saskatchewan has about the same population of cheshire so its far from densly populated and its easy to feel isolate, when your in the city it isnt so bad but if you go to a prarie town then you are. To people who've spent their entire lives in towns like this they either love it and find it difficult to ajust to the city, or they hate it and cant wait to get there.

A large town is roughly a 1000 people, but only 300 people will live in the town the rest will be farmers in the surrounding area and alot of people live a long way from the city, I spent thanksgiving with a family who went to the city twice a year because it took about 8 hours to drive.

Towns like these have benifits because you litterally know everone in town but at the same time its a problem because you know everyone in town.

Personally I thought the small town had its charms but its a very difficult enviroment for Brits to live in because its so forign to our own experiences, its incredibly traditional, we went to church, went up to the grandparents farm had thanksgiving dinner then went shooting.

I recomend searching for corner gas online, it'll give you a fair idea of what sk is like because its set in a fictional sk town.

One of the odd little things about small town culture is that they all hate each other despite the fact (or because of) there all exactly the same.
Waoh.....talk about tarring everything with the same brush mate

Not my experiences at all.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

WelshLady is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Moose Jaw, been here nearly 4 yrs and wouldn't live anywhere else. It's a great place to bring up a family, our daughter has thrived since moving here, she has way more confidence than she had back home in Wales.

There are 4 high schools, a college campus and 9 public schools as well as catholic schools and French Immersion. We have a great sports complex, Kinsmen, an out door water park and pool, an excellent library, I could go on and on. The Temple Gardens spa is great on a cold winters day and ther are lots of places to chose from for eating out.

BUT Moose Jaw I know isn't for everyone and which ever area you decide on you must do lots of research.

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.