Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:54 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse
We loved it in Yorkton....a huge not only helped by the fact that Simon's mistress liked him and is (as you can see now applying for the LMO) we were ably assisted by a few friends along the way for the small price of a bit of chocolate - so THANK YOU to all and they know who they are...if they chose to come forward or remain annonymouse...their choice, but without them, it would have been a lonelier experience.

But, yes it can only happen to us...if anyone saw the news yesterday about the Air Canada flight diverted to Toronto for an emergency landing - yeap that was us! I was cr***ng it as Purple80 would say...I have never had to get so worried about landing before...it was so bad I was ready to get the boat back from Pearson. Never the less the Pilot was brilliant - he landed a feather....and subsequently blew another tyre on the taxi back from the outer most runway - but it is fun now to look at the photographs of all the emergency equipment following us with flashing lights etc. It was the 3 hour sit on the plane that was hard too. But shouldn't complain we did get a nice 2 hours "pleasure" flight around the Prairies looking for a plan...technology at its best saw a pair of binoculars and a tower fly by to be the best option.

Still all home safe and sound now...

The girls are really pleased to see us and they have not left my side since we got back late last night (Wednesday) and somehow Simon managed to drag his sorry ass through work today and is hanging on in there by a thread until the children get to bed about 10 more minutes...

We will check in and sort out bits of information as our addled and tired brains allow - but I suspect the next round of serious questions will be what to pack, bring, ship and chuck and the best methods of doing so...

Talk soon

Mrs Mouse & Mr Mouse
I am glad you are both ok and enjoyed you reccie to our lovely Province. Look forward to meeting you and the little uns when you settle for good.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

We loved it in Yorkton....a huge not only helped by the fact that Simon's mistress liked him and is (as you can see now applying for the LMO) we were ably assisted by a few friends along the way for the small price of a bit of chocolate - so THANK YOU to all and they know who they are...if they chose to come forward or remain annonymouse...their choice, but without them, it would have been a lonelier experience.

But, yes it can only happen to us...if anyone saw the news yesterday about the Air Canada flight diverted to Toronto for an emergency landing - yeap that was us! I was cr***ng it as Purple80 would say...I have never had to get so worried about landing before...it was so bad I was ready to get the boat back from Pearson. Never the less the Pilot was brilliant - he landed a feather....and subsequently blew another tyre on the taxi back from the outer most runway - but it is fun now to look at the photographs of all the emergency equipment following us with flashing lights etc. It was the 3 hour sit on the plane that was hard too. But shouldn't complain we did get a nice 2 hours "pleasure" flight around the Prairies looking for a plan...technology at its best saw a pair of binoculars and a tower fly by to be the best option.

Still all home safe and sound now...

The girls are really pleased to see us and they have not left my side since we got back late last night (Wednesday) and somehow Simon managed to drag his sorry ass through work today and is hanging on in there by a thread until the children get to bed about 10 more minutes...

We will check in and sort out bits of information as our addled and tired brains allow - but I suspect the next round of serious questions will be what to pack, bring, ship and chuck and the best methods of doing so...

Talk soon

Mrs Mouse & Mr Mouse
I never heard about the AC flightyou poor things, so glad you are back in the UK safe and unlike the Davis family our chocolate is long gone

Be good to have you all back as a family and then we can have a big SK meetup
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:26 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
I never heard about the AC flightyou poor things, so glad you are back in the UK safe and unlike the Davis family our chocolate is long gone

Be good to have you all back as a family and then we can have a big SK meetup
Yeap I was bricking it...that's the problem when you work in the industry and have a bit too much knowledge - while most people were blistfully unaware - I was sitting there booing my eyes out wondering what he (the pilot) was going to do with all this fuel so we could land safely...

But, yes...providing we are there we have a christmas planned in Vancouver with the family and the Girls and I will be driving over with Simon picking up the rear by plane I guess...(I think I am determined just to make one more flight then that is it!) (If Michael manages to get me up in the prop job it won't be without having had quite a few stiff drinks first) So, on our way we will be happy to stop off - never know you might have your belongings by then...

As soon as I get home we can get the photos uploaded and send on ones of interest...one more day and I will be home

In the mean time here is the Air Canada blurb although they are dumbing down quite how bad it was and the fact that we burst another tire and did damage on landing to the rest...http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...Canada&s_name=

Well we had confirmation over night that the LMO has been applied for - so now what...? I can't just sit and wait - I want to be ready to go when we can...so house sorting and thinning I guess is the answer?

TTFN
D
Old Mar 15th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Yeap I was bricking it...that's the problem when you work in the industry and have a bit too much knowledge - while most people were blistfully unaware - I was sitting there booing my eyes out wondering what he (the pilot) was going to do with all this fuel so we could land safely...

But, yes...providing we are there we have a christmas planned in Vancouver with the family and the Girls and I will be driving over with Simon picking up the rear by plane I guess...(I think I am determined just to make one more flight then that is it!) (If Michael manages to get me up in the prop job it won't be without having had quite a few stiff drinks first) So, on our way we will be happy to stop off - never know you might have your belongings by then...

As soon as I get home we can get the photos uploaded and send on ones of interest...one more day and I will be home

In the mean time here is the Air Canada blurb although they are dumbing down quite how bad it was and the fact that we burst another tire and did damage on landing to the rest...http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...Canada&s_name=

Well we had confirmation over night that the LMO has been applied for - so now what...? I can't just sit and wait - I want to be ready to go when we can...so house sorting and thinning I guess is the answer?

TTFN
D
They are dumbing it down right enough!

Yes get at the car boot sales and get everything planned which you are putting in your container now The time really does fly by when you get a date for going and sorting out the closure of your life in the Uk is a real pain in the rear end

We had better have our container by the time you next visit or I will be in the Regina Correctional Institution for murder and you'll be visiting me there
Old Mar 15th 2008, 3:41 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Yes get at the car boot sales and get everything planned which you are putting in your container now The time really does fly by when you get a date for going and sorting out the closure of your life in the Uk is a real pain in the rear end

We had better have our container by the time you next visit or I will be in the Regina Correctional Institution for murder and you'll be visiting me there
Al, step away from the Cinamon buns they are getting to you Don't go into Regina Correctional Facility I can't throw you any goodies over that fence it's too high for me
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:35 am
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Ah but I will bring more chocolate
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:44 am
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Its been a bit wierd thought this trip - normally I will suffer on the way out and Simon doesn't - but we were thrown straight in to the conference the next day so that forced us to be up during daylight hours and therefore we could colapse and did about 9pm. But, man, on the way back - (Simon's usual domain for suffering) we are both having a hard time...I just can't seem to get back on to UK time zone at all - so much so I had to revert to a sleeping tablet last night

But, LMO gone in now...just a case of waiting....So on the drive home from Purple80's we decided to put the girls into one room so that we have a holding and sorting room - and somewhere we can dump stuff into on a weekly basis from the loft ready for sorting.

Poor Simon - we were supposed to have a week in Spain or something cheap beginning of May but now he has to sort out his gararge, shed and other bits...like painting the conservatory and filling in the bits of wood that are in need of a bit of looking after...getting his ebay account up together etc.

So busy times....

See you soon - it was fab seeing you all and thanks for all the help you've given us so far.

Dawn and Simon
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its been a bit wierd thought this trip - normally I will suffer on the way out and Simon doesn't - but we were thrown straight in to the conference the next day so that forced us to be up during daylight hours and therefore we could colapse and did about 9pm. But, man, on the way back - (Simon's usual domain for suffering) we are both having a hard time...I just can't seem to get back on to UK time zone at all - so much so I had to revert to a sleeping tablet last night

But, LMO gone in now...just a case of waiting....So on the drive home from Purple80's we decided to put the girls into one room so that we have a holding and sorting room - and somewhere we can dump stuff into on a weekly basis from the loft ready for sorting.

Poor Simon - we were supposed to have a week in Spain or something cheap beginning of May but now he has to sort out his gararge, shed and other bits...like painting the conservatory and filling in the bits of wood that are in need of a bit of looking after...getting his ebay account up together etc.

So busy times....

See you soon - it was fab seeing you all and thanks for all the help you've given us so far.

Dawn and Simon
Don't envy you one little bit, but it was a pleasure to be able to help you out
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:51 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Don't envy you one little bit, but it was a pleasure to be able to help you out
Problem is - we know where you live now and I doubt if it will be the last!

Well, you'll be glad to know here its dull, wet and windy - and cold - not even below 0 either!

ITS PANTS HERE
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

gleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura about

Hi There,

Is there anyone who can refer me to a local organization in Saskatoon who can give me a community letter support. I'm about to submit my SINP - Skilled Application. This letter will give me extra 2 points.

Thanks
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Warren Green is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rooney2603
Hi, I have been told that Saskatchewan is a great place to live particularly Moose Jaw.

Can someone tell me what they think of the area and whether its a good place to raise children. And why its a good place to raise kids.

My husband is a Carpenter, so any companies that you know in the area, that are looking for carpenters on the immigrant worker program would be great.

Mainly though, I want to know why Saskatchewan is a great place to live.

What I have found out already about the area has been really positive but I would like to know what british immigrants think.

Thanks.

Hi my name is Warren Green and I couldnt help answer your your question My home is Saskatchewan and I have lived near High River Alberta for the last 10 years. When the economy of Saskatchewan was failing we all had to move to Albertafor woork
I now have ahome near Craven Saskatchewan in the Quappelle Valley on 160 acres near Regina, where I grew up and travel both provinces on business. Saskatchewan people no matter where you go will treat you like you are there family and look after you. The economy is booming for now but it will also cool. Just go to a fall supper or a Riders game and you will see what I mean.
Its a place you will never want to leave

Warren