Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Old Feb 16th 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saskatchewan - What is it like?

Well were all bound to have different expereinces but could you explain the differences in your experience?

When I say they hate each other I'm reffering to small town rivalries and as for the comment about religion in the entire time I was in the province I was the only person that admitted they were unsure of their beliefs, everyone I met was a christian or atleast believed in God.

Its hard to justify my oppinion with out really know what you think is wrong with it.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:28 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubby42
Well were all bound to have different expereinces but could you explain the differences in your experience?

When I say they hate each other I'm reffering to small town rivalries and as for the comment about religion in the entire time I was in the province I was the only person that admitted they were unsure of their beliefs, everyone I met was a christian or atleast believed in God.

Its hard to justify my oppinion with out really know what you think is wrong with it.
I moved to a community n5 months ago that has about 1000 people in the winter and 3500 in the spring/summer. The people were very welcoming when we moved in, there were some that were a little bit distant in the beginning but I suppose they are used to people coming and going cos it's the nearest "beach" to the capital city. Once people got used to seeing me around they were more than helpful; but it goes both ways I offered to help them if they needed it. We visit the bar, the local cafe, we buy raffle tickets to support the Lions we offer our services along with the locals. It's a way of fitting in, of giving back to the communtiy. We come from the Rhondda Valleys in Wales were everyone is related (6 degrees of separation), people know your business, when the chips are down people help thier neighbours so there really is no difference if you are used to that way of living, however, this is a lot less crime here.

I have found both the expats who have been here from 40 years to 1 year, very helpful, the Canadian people who are now our friends very helpful, not only those born in or around Regina Beach, but those who have moved from BC and Ontario that we now call friends.

Maybe age makes a difference, we are both 51, have seen a lot of the northern hemisphere, brought up our children and now are looking for a different lifestyle, could be for a few years, could be till we kick the bucket. Both OH and I are not religeous in any way, shape or form but we recognise other peoples way of life and beleifs and listen if they want to talk about it.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

When i said it everyone knowing everyone is a good thing I meant that but on the other hand it can be a bad thing, espically for younger people.

If you have an argument with someone it will probably end up in a fight and if that happens more and more people get involved. My friend was catching up with people at home and the latest news was that some guy had beaten up his brother, so now they were going to get a group of people together to beat the first person up.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:35 am
Just Joined

maureen.clark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkG
That is wind-chill temperature with 40mph winds; the 'real' temperature is only predicted to drop to -30C, the wind effectively knocks off another 15 degrees.

Either way, I just dropped by Mark's Work Wearhouse and picked up a stonking fat parka that was in the 50%-off sale .
Just went to look at your blog Mark - bit dissappointing...when are ya going to update a bit?? Would be nice to read something from someone who lives there :-)
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:03 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

LIZWIL98-------Thank you for your PM. I have just finished a long winded reply to you, but for some reason the "send" was rejected. Not typing that lot again!! Can say that I hear you, loud and clear though! I do a lot of work away from the forum for these people. Actually, I married a girl from Riddlesdown, near Purley, so you could say that was my old stomping ground! Good talking to you.
Terry
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by roanin
LIZWIL98-------Thank you for your PM. I have just finished a long winded reply to you, but for some reason the "send" was rejected. Not typing that lot again!! Can say that I hear you, loud and clear though! I do a lot of work away from the forum for these people. Actually, I married a girl from Riddlesdown, near Purley, so you could say that was my old stomping ground! Good talking to you.
Terry
Wow, Purley was also my old stomping ground..croydon, addiscombe, south norwood....shared memories!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:49 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Oh! Yeah!! "Orchid" ballroom's were I used to do most of my damage lol! There was a neat little restaraunt there called "La petit Parisiene" loved it. Was over there three years ago, for the first time since 87 - will never return to live there - ever!! The nation has lost it's identity, same as this one will, one day!!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by roanin
Oh! Yeah!! "Orchid" ballroom's were I used to do most of my damage lol! There was a neat little restaraunt there called "La petit Parisiene" loved it. Was over there three years ago, for the first time since 87 - will never return to live there - ever!! The nation has lost it's identity, same as this one will, one day!!
Last time I was at the Orchid was two weeks before I got married in 1974 !! Nice to meet you!

Oops, sorry for highjacking the thread :-)

Last edited by maureen.clark; Feb 19th 2008 at 2:49 am. Reason: highjacking :-(
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:18 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Only a quickie to say Hi

We're here - and we love it in Yorkton! It looks like Simon's 3 hour interview over lunch yesterday was a hit - we have more dinner invitations than we have slots available. Yorkton is not quite as small as we would have thought having seen Regina - but that was from the 18th floor of the Detla! Apparently there is a 4th at the Best Western - so we might try to see the edge from up there before we leave. We have been offered a trip to take us up in one of the 2/4 seater light aircraft from a friend and give us the grand tour...OMG - - now I am really it - big planes are ok but little ones...with propellers?

Its snowing again here in Sask. I've just driven up the main street and I am well out of my comfort zone at the moment - ahhhhhh.

Been to look at some houses - nice - more tomorrow. Simon's interview yesterday seemed to go well. He is now up at the airport and doing some more PR and meeting the 'natives'. Also bribing the co-workers with Jaffa Cakes - should help they're English ones (the JC that is). Will talk more later - will be getting a lapdog hopefully later today from his mistress for the rest of the week so I can mail out to the world from my bed!

I've got a cold courtesy of my 2 little darlings but never mind - at least in the -25 the snot freezes before it has time to escape!

It was really good to meet and put faces to names - so Thank you Alvick and Lorna_D - Indian Head and that resturant might be a regular stop over point...

Roanin - will let you know more about our visit to Moose Jaw - when we hit a Canadian pace of life

TTFN
Dawn
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:22 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

Well you guys seems to be having a great old time! Look forward to meeting you here.
Take care
Terry
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:45 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse
Only a quickie to say Hi

We're here - and we love it in Yorkton! It looks like Simon's 3 hour interview over lunch yesterday was a hit - we have more dinner invitations than we have slots available. Yorkton is not quite as small as we would have thought having seen Regina - but that was from the 18th floor of the Detla! Apparently there is a 4th at the Best Western - so we might try to see the edge from up there before we leave. We have been offered a trip to take us up in one of the 2/4 seater light aircraft from a friend and give us the grand tour...OMG - - now I am really it - big planes are ok but little ones...with propellers?

Its snowing again here in Sask. I've just driven up the main street and I am well out of my comfort zone at the moment - ahhhhhh.

Been to look at some houses - nice - more tomorrow. Simon's interview yesterday seemed to go well. He is now up at the airport and doing some more PR and meeting the 'natives'. Also bribing the co-workers with Jaffa Cakes - should help they're English ones (the JC that is). Will talk more later - will be getting a lapdog hopefully later today from his mistress for the rest of the week so I can mail out to the world from my bed!

I've got a cold courtesy of my 2 little darlings but never mind - at least in the -25 the snot freezes before it has time to escape!

It was really good to meet and put faces to names - so Thank you Alvick and Lorna_D - Indian Head and that resturant might be a regular stop over point...

Roanin - will let you know more about our visit to Moose Jaw - when we hit a Canadian pace of life

TTFN
Dawn

Glad you had a good time, I did too. Snowing! it's not snowing this is only flurries we have blue sky down here now but the wind is whipping up a storm.

Hope everything goes well with Simon's interviews, fingers and toes crossed. Enjoy the rest of your stay. and take that plane ride it's got to be worth it
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrypottermouse
Only a quickie to say Hi

TTFN
Dawn
I'm sooo relieved you like Yorkton, we were worried you wouldn't be happy there! It was lovely to spend Sunday afternoon with you and Simon, but hopefully the next time you are back in IH we will have more chairs and a decent dining room table to sit at

As Lorna says - do the flight
Take care and enjoy the rest of your recce

Alison.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:51 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

Just wanted to take a moment to say hi to all of you again, and invite you all to celebrate St Patrick's day in traditional Irish style. Monday March 17th at "Bobby's Place" olde world tavern in Moose Jaw. It's right at the bus depot on High St East, you cant miss it! Yours truly will be doing some of the entertaining from about 4pm to 7 pm, followed by another band for the evening. Try Monica's famous Irish stew, bangers and mash 12 beers on tap etc. You will love this little pub, and I can assure you, it will be hopping!! If you want a day out, come on over, it would be great to actually meet some of you.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:20 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

We loved it in Yorkton....a huge not only helped by the fact that Simon's mistress liked him and is (as you can see now applying for the LMO) we were ably assisted by a few friends along the way for the small price of a bit of chocolate - so THANK YOU to all and they know who they are...if they chose to come forward or remain annonymouse...their choice, but without them, it would have been a lonelier experience.

But, yes it can only happen to us...if anyone saw the news yesterday about the Air Canada flight diverted to Toronto for an emergency landing - yeap that was us! I was cr***ng it as Purple80 would say...I have never had to get so worried about landing before...it was so bad I was ready to get the boat back from Pearson. Never the less the Pilot was brilliant - he landed a feather....and subsequently blew another tyre on the taxi back from the outer most runway - but it is fun now to look at the photographs of all the emergency equipment following us with flashing lights etc. It was the 3 hour sit on the plane that was hard too. But shouldn't complain we did get a nice 2 hours "pleasure" flight around the Prairies looking for a plan...technology at its best saw a pair of binoculars and a tower fly by to be the best option.

Still all home safe and sound now...

The girls are really pleased to see us and they have not left my side since we got back late last night (Wednesday) and somehow Simon managed to drag his sorry ass through work today and is hanging on in there by a thread until the children get to bed about 10 more minutes...

We will check in and sort out bits of information as our addled and tired brains allow - but I suspect the next round of serious questions will be what to pack, bring, ship and chuck and the best methods of doing so...

Talk soon

Mrs Mouse & Mr Mouse
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

Hello glad you made it back safe and sound It was great meeting you both and you will be surprised to hear we still have half a bar left

Missed out on the warm weather here, some of the snow melted, but it's gone cold again

Good luck with the LMO lets us know how things go and keep in touch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.