Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Salad Cream in Canada?

Salad Cream in Canada?

Old Nov 13th 2006, 3:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salad Cream in Canada?

Originally Posted by pete66
She too isn't happy that she cannot find white lasagne sauce in a jar
Sorry, I don't know what white lasagne sauce is. If it's the same thing as Alfredo sauce, I have not found it in a jar, but it does come in plastic bags. It's in the fridge section of my local supermarket, next to the fresh pasta (made by Olivieri et al).
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Sorry, I don't know what white lasagne sauce is. If it's the same thing as Alfredo sauce, I have not found it in a jar, but it does come in plastic bags. It's in the fridge section of my local supermarket, next to the fresh pasta (made by Olivieri et al).
Don't you have the Classico sauces on the pasta sauce aisle in your supermarket? We buy the Alfredo by the caseload (it seems). It's probably not a true bechemel sauce (it is made by Heinz, after all) but we use it as such.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:28 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, Bechemel is laughably quick and easy to make. Why on earth would you want to pay $3 for a jar of it?
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
LOL, Bechemel is laughably quick and easy to make. Why on earth would you want to pay $3 for a jar of it?
Coz we like the Classico ones. Also because my missus is at work for 11 hours a day and has better things to do with her time when she gets home than make bechemel.

And before you ask, all the recipes in this house that involve bechemel belong to her. We don't cook each other's recipes, the same we we don't break the wet/dry rule for DIY.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:12 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't buy ready made white sauce. But I do buy Safeways Lasagne .... if she's working 11 hours a day why would she want to be cooking minced beef and tomatoes and making layers of the stuff with pasta and jars of sauce and grated cheese??

On the subject of salad cream, I have just discovered "Miracle Whip" (bought by accident really) which has something of the taste of salad cream, but the consistency of mayonnaise. Rather nice!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Salad Cream in Canada?

Fabulous thread! I too only felt truly settled in Canada when I found that I could indeed buy salad cream! I got through 3 of those glass bottles of Heinz Salad Cream (English Dressing!) in 4 months! I lived downtown and if I remember rightly I think I bought it from Nesters across the street on Seymour at Nelson.

Enjoy

Adele x
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:26 pm
Anyone for a brew?

The Edge will become famous soon enoughThe Edge will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Salad Cream in Canada?

Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by adele
I too only felt truly settled in Canada when I found that I could indeed buy salad cream!
Isn't there a bit of a contradiction in terms going on there?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Salad Cream in Canada?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Isn't there a bit of a contradiction in terms going on there?
I was being sarcastic - if I had to choose between the two then obviously I'd rather live in Canada without salad cream than with salad cream elsewhere...
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by adele
I was being sarcastic - if I had to choose between the two then obviously I'd rather live in Canada without salad cream than with salad cream elsewhere...
I'm encouraged.

Salad cream is one of those things, like beetroot, semolina and c*****d, that makes me want to crawl into a hole and die.

My primary school teachers and the 'dinner ladies' have much to answer for.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

ImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to behold

Jeez a 2 page thread dedicated to Brits missing salad cream, whatever next?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:36 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete66
We found ours in IGA and I always stock up when we go there...sad or what!!!

Still haven"t found the wife a M&S equivilant ......the money I am saving LOL!!!!

She too isn't happy that she cannot find white lasagne sauce in a jar....what do this women want!!

pete
I used to love making lassagnas when I lived in Canada, found out using a tub of Ricotta cheese along with sprinkles of grated mozzy and even some Montorey Jack grated cheese in the layers turned the lasagna in to a deliciously cheesy saucy servings.... I swear that those ads on TV use that trick!! *lol*
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImLivingTheDream

Surely better than a 2 page thread of ppl b*tching at one another or complaining about how bad life is in Canada.

Just a light hearted thread, and I dont remember seeing any clauses when i signed my PR papers that said i would have to give up anything i ever loved back in England?

I always thought that Alfredo sauce was white sauce LOL, thats what ive been making my lasagne with ever since i got here.

Thanks to Biiink i am now able to enjoy branstons pickle here now too, she was right it is in the marinade section. THanks Biiink
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Just a light hearted thread, and I dont remember seeing any clauses when i signed my PR papers that said i would have to give up anything i ever loved back in England?
You didn't read the small print.

Section 8; subsection 3; clause 9; line 27a: "Draught bitter? You're 'avin a laugh, eh?".
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImLivingTheDream
Now you've done it.
The great salad cream debate just got bigger, this could run on and on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.