Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Retiring to there ?

Retiring to there ?

Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to there ?

Originally Posted by NoreenC
When I read posts like yours, and I know you've been in Canada for a while, I begin to get concerned about the move. I sometimes feel as if I'm between a rock and a hard place. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
Bare in mind that the reason Ive been in canada a while is because I love it here, winter and all.

I was just offering an answer to the question "why not". Its all too easy after you have lived somewhere for a while to loose sight of the good things you have...if you are living in brussels and have friends there and your house is paid for etc, its a different situation to being stuck in the UK housing affordability nightmare with a canadian husband pining to come back to what he knows.

The rest of my generally negative view of retiring to the unknown is based in large part with thinking about what it would be like for my dad to come over here and how it would be to leave his leisurely life of golf 2 or 3 times a week and his hobbies and his wife of nearly 50 years conveniently buried in the churchyard 2 minutes walk from the back garden if he feels like having a chat with her, and my brother and one set of grandchildren a couple of hours away on the train.

It makes no sense to me for him to leave all that behind for the sake off freeing up some equity and perhaps escaping some inheritance tax.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 26th 2007 at 3:04 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Many thanks , iaink !
There's many a happy-ish BritExpat out and about , here in Bru , too many of them frequently thinking : just how much better their lives would be elsewheres ;
for some , it's the( said ) weather , for some others : the taxes , or the surf , the prairies , kind-of-english language , exotic lands , perceived "freedoms" , who knows...
- swings and roundabouts ?!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Bare in mind that the reason Ive been in canada a while is because I love it here, winter and all.

I was just offering an answer to the question "why not". Its all too easy after you have lived somewhere for a while to loose sight of the good things you have...if you are living in brussels and have friends there and your house is paid for etc, its a different situation to being stuck in the UK housing affordability nightmare with a canadian husband pining to come back to what he knows.

The rest of my generally negative view of retiring to the unknown is based in large part with thinking about what it would be like for my dad to come over here and how it would be to leave his leisurely life of golf 2 or 3 times a week and his hobbies and his wife of nearly 50 years conveniently buried in the churchyard 2 minutes walk from the back garden if he feels like having a chat with her, and my brother and one set of grandchildren a couple of hours away on the train.

It makes no sense to me for him to leave all that behind for the sake off freeing up some equity and perhaps escaping some inheritance tax.
Thanks for that reply; it was helpful. I wasn't sure whether you liked being in Canada or not. I know I liked it and enjoyed my time there. I think it's possibly harder for my husband being here than for me being there. I could buy British papers and other goods and even see the Union Flag whereas he has very few reminders here of his Homeland. Although he doesn't say much I know his heart is still in Canada.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=iaink;5470998]
b) You could try some of the provincial nomination investor classes, they seem the most accomodating for people with nothing but money to offer. Dont get too excited though as they might well have age restrictions...I dont know.QUOTE]

Thanks gain , iaink !
Saw quite a disappointing , depressing 50-minutes' TV documentary on Quebec yesterday , produced by a very trusted TV-person ...

On your point "b" above : there's many a place , in this our world of 3rd millenium : benefitting excellently , indeed , from many assorted "people with nothing but money to offer" ... Switzerland , Monaco , England , Andorra , Liechtenstein , Isle of Man , Channel Islands , Gibraltar , Brit. Virgin Islands , Luxembourg , Montenegro ...off the cuff , all readily spring to mind , as does
( for retired Brits , anyway ) Australia and any number of other , better kept : secret tax-haven locations...
It is very much easier for a country to benefit from the ample assets and income brought into a country that way , than earn the needed foreign currency the hard way , e.g. by exporting competitive goods and services ...