Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Retiring to there ?

Retiring to there ?

Old Oct 25th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Retiring to there ?

Hi all ,
whereas I realise most people leave to Canada during their working years , would anyone here , just perchance , know of a useful contact , who could help with emmigration , in order to retire in Ontario , Quebec , or where else there ? ( the retirement : just befor , or just after 60 )
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:44 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to there ?

I remember a similar post on the immigration forum from a while back, after searching back for it I found the following threads (you may also want to check out the current immigration options):-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462017

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397113

Originally Posted by Ray51
Hi all ,
whereas I realise most people leave to Canada during their working years , would anyone here , just perchance , know of a useful contact , who could help with emmigration , in order to retire in Ontario , Quebec , or where else there ? ( the retirement : just befor , or just after 60 )
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:10 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all ,
There is no retiree category for immigration. Your only option would be if you have a reletive living here already who was willing to sponsor you
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There was another thread recently sort of regarding this too.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487562

I never understood the desire to leave all your friends and family and a well established social network and start afresh in a foreign land not knowing anyone.

At that point in my life I want to have friends and family I can count on around to stop me going a bit nuts...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:30 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There was another thread recently sort of regarding this too.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487562

I never understood the desire to leave all your friends and family and a well established social network and start afresh in a foreign land not knowing anyone.

At that point in my life I want to have friends and family I can count on around to stop me going a bit nuts...
I would imagine people considering such a move at that stage of life are driven primarily by economic motivation - i.e. wanting to find somewhere to live with lower property prices so they can release equity to act as a supplementary pension because they dont have adequate pension provision. No doubt that is a viewpoint likely to actract some controversy though!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:35 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Too late.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

zims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant futurezims500 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I would imagine people considering such a move at that stage of life are driven primarily by economic motivation - i.e. wanting to find somewhere to live with lower property prices so they can release equity to act as a supplementary pension because they dont have adequate pension provision. No doubt that is a viewpoint likely to actract some controversy though!
And then may be some of us , who don't like the recent ( demographic , fiscal and other ) developments in the U.K. and E.U. , so : to them , Canada might still appear an interesting consideration , the latest strength of Can$ notwithstanding .
And , YES , there are people out there , in that age of life , without much family and friends left - but who can afford to pay their way , to a certain decent extent ...so ?
Why not then retire in english-speaking , 1st world , relatively crime-free Canada , rather than in Spain , Oz , Cape Town , Cyprus , Malta , Istria or wherever else ???
Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zims500
Why not then retire in english-speaking , 1st world , relatively crime-free Canada , rather than in Spain , Oz , Cape Town , Cyprus , Malta , Istria or wherever else ???
Off the top of my head....because its 3500 miles / $800 flight from family, doesnt cover drug costs, will result in your pension being frozen, costs a lot more to live here than you would think possible based on visiting, and is mostly cold and snowy for three or more months of the year. Other stuff you might find diverting like soccer, cricket, rugby etc doesnt hardly register here on the radar thats full of hockey, US/CDN football and baseball.

And perhaps most importantly, unless you have a relative here already who can and will sponsor you, your chances of being granted a residence visa are slim to none.

FWIW many Canadians try and spend as much of their retirement as possible as "Snowbirds" in warmer US climates, and live in Canada only long enough to maintain their health care entitlement.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 25th 2007 at 5:24 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:11 pm
Immigration Consultant

Off the top of my head....because its 3500 miles / $800 flight from family, doesnt cover drug costs, will result in your pension being frozen, costs a lot more to live here than you would think possible based on visiting, and is mostly cold and snowy for three or more months of the year.

And perhaps most importantly, unless you have a relative here already who can and will sponsor you, your chances of being granted a residence visa are slim to none.
Yes, simply learning to speak Maltese and moving to Malta would seem to be a much easier option than getting into and living in Canada as a retiree.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:21 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zims500
And then may be some of us , who don't like the recent ( demographic , fiscal and other ) developments in the U.K. and E.U. , so : to them , Canada might still appear an interesting consideration , the latest strength of Can$ notwithstanding .
And , YES , there are people out there , in that age of life , without much family and friends left - but who can afford to pay their way , to a certain decent extent ...so ?
I have nothing against the idea conceptually. The challenge, as others have pointed out, is that Canada no longer offers a retirement visa.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Off the top of my head....because its 3500 miles / $800 flight from family, doesnt cover drug costs, will result in your pension being frozen, costs a lot more to live here than you would think possible based on visiting, and is mostly cold and snowy for three or more months of the year. Other stuff you might find diverting like soccer, cricket, rugby etc doesnt hardly register here on the radar thats full of hockey, US/CDN football and baseball.

FWIW many Canadians try and spend as much of their retirement as possible as "Snowbirds" in warmer US climates, and live in Canada only long enough to maintain their health care entitlement.
To "iaink" and all : Thank you !

a ) After 4 visits in the last 10 years ,
the part( I quote verbatim ) about " costs a lot more to live here than you would think possible ..." interests me most of all - would anyone care to add to this ?
b ) O.K. if not officially retiring , how about a really , really , really small business interest , then ? Any ideas ?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:14 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

b ) O.K. if not officially retiring , how about a really , really , really small business interest , then ? Any ideas ?
Which immigration route do you think this would fall under?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nil idea ! Was hoping for a bright spark , or 7 of them !
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:26 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

You should probably start here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanxxxx! ( Got it ! )
Hasn't changed all that much , in last 20 years ;
must remark : Oz have been v. v. much more welcoming and accommodating , to us , Brits elder settlers ...however : "different stroke" , and all that jazz ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.