Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting in Halifax surrounding areas NS

Renting in Halifax surrounding areas NS

Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:19 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Halifax surrounding areas NS

Beat me to it my love
Bob
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:25 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zap0ne
Hi Poppy,

You really need to get over your NZ agent experience.
I am actually refering to anyone who offers unsolicited advice regarding relocation (not on here, I mean professionally, in Canada).........................its a whole 'nother experience, nothing to do with realtors My point is actually that there will be many people who want to offer assistance and the question needs to be asked why? What is their motivation? There are a few too many who are making a living from other's relocating, far more than we EVER encountered in NZ. Its sad that so many people dont realise they can do a relocation without other agents, of whatever description. I guess that is my independant nature, but people have too much faith in what someone else may tell them, we assume too much that they act on our behalf. Again, all about those that present themselves as relocation agents.

Sorry about the Hyjack!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
Try the Halifax paper http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/cla...s/rentals.html

I agree Kijiji is usually very good too. I think £1,500 is expensive. I have a 2500 sqft, 4 bed on 10 acres, overlooking the water, vacation rental and it would not be that for a month www.oysterlodge.com
I'm sorry but I have to agree with Kazbob. A vacation rental, nowhere near the areas requested and not commutable to Halifax is not a good comparison.

The house prices and market conditions reflect the asking price for the Fall River house, and as mentioned this is negotiable and includes utilities.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Originally Posted by kazbob
I feel I have to reply to this post. I did read it then walk away from the computer so that I did not reply in haste.

Paradisefound has slated the price of my property, whilst obviously not reading the advert properly as we do state that we are open to negotiation, and then gone on to promote his/her own in a totally different area to the OP requested. I have clicked on the link provided and viewed Oyster Lodge; yes it is in a beautiful, quiet area but the price quoted for 1 week accommodation is $1200 CAD (£600), so that works out at $4800 (£2400) a month, it does not state that they are willing to negotiate on longer stays.

I do not wish to get into a slanging match, as I am not that type of person, but I felt that I had to stand my corner and put my point of view across. If anyone feels that they disagree with my post so strongly that they wish to reply then could I ask that they do it via a PM. Thanks.

Karen
My vacation rental is advertised at a weekly rate. Monthly rates are not 4 x that amount and are vary negotiable depending on the time of year. I did read your advert before I placed my post and noticed you are willing to negotiate, but looking at the starting price it still seems high. I am constantly looking at adverts for accommodation and not noticed any this expensive. If you feel that it is a fair amount for your location, size etc. then that's up to you. The North Shore is a very desirable location with property values comparable to the Halifax areas, so one would assume rental values would also equate. Most monthly rentals are between $600 and $2000 including utilities.

Just 2 examples of properties in and around Halifax. I did notice someone wanting somewhere in Fall River, so maybe with a high demand you can ask much more.

Street address: Willow Street and Robie Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3K 1L7 View map
Date Listed: 12-Feb-08
This recently renovated 1700 square foot home set in the heart of peninsular Halifax is within walking distance to all that the city offers including major universities, hospitals, shopping centers and downtown. This open concept home boasts gleaming hardwood floors on the main level, open concept kitchen, powder room, family room, dining room and formal living room. The second floor has a spacious master bedroom with walk-in closet and two additional bedrooms along with a full bathroom. The deck off the family room leads to a large urban back yard with mature tree cover. Don't miss out on this charming home in a great neighbourhood!
Rent: $1600/month (incl. utilities)

FOR LEASE - BEDFORD (Basinview)-April 01, 2008
Price: $1,100.00
Ad ID: 38130057
Unique Visits: 158
SEMI-DETACHED HOME FOR LEASE!!!
Spacious, bright, 3 bedroom, 2 full bath and 1/2 bath off foyer.
Nicely landscaped corner lot and fenced back yard.
Parking for two vehicles.
Fridge, stove and dishwasher.
Finished basement with lots of storage.
Many recent upgrades.
We are located within walking distance to Sobeys,Shoppers Drug Mart, Elementary School and on #86 bus route.

Maybe you can see why I mentioned your advert because I thought the sign was wrong £ instead of $, but then since I've been in Canada I no longer think in £.

Last edited by Paradisefound; Feb 14th 2008 at 9:28 am.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

For anyone looking - I lived round the corner from Basinview and it's a nice area! good for schools and shops and then in summer there's Papermill Lake to swim in. Hammonds Plain Road can be busy to get out onto but I hear they are putting in traffic lights - but you can exit Basinview on the Bedford Highway. For anyone interested in private schools there is one at Brookshire Court just up from Basinview (this is where I lived!).

We are submitting our application ( Community Identification route) in the next couple of weeks! watch this space!

Liff
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:47 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

My vacation rental is advertised at a weekly rate. Monthly rates are not 4 x that amount and are vary negotiable depending on the time of year. I did read your advert before I placed my post and noticed you are willing to negotiate, but looking at the starting price it still seems high. I am constantly looking at adverts for accommodation and not noticed any this expensive. If you feel that it is a fair amount for your location, size etc. then that's up to you. The North Shore is a very desirable location with property values comparable to the Halifax areas, so one would assume rental values would also equate. Most monthly rentals are between $600 and $2000 including utilities.

Just 2 examples of properties in and around Halifax. I did notice someone wanting somewhere in Fall River, so maybe with a high demand you can ask much more.

Street address: Willow Street and Robie Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3K 1L7 View map
This recently renovated 1700 square foot home set in the heart of peninsular Halifax is within walking distance to all that the city offers including major universities, hospitals, shopping centers and downtown. This open concept home boasts gleaming hardwood floors on the main level, open concept kitchen, powder room, family room, dining room and formal living room. The second floor has a spacious master bedroom with walk-in closet and two additional bedrooms along with a full bathroom. The deck off the family room leads to a large urban back yard with mature tree cover. Don't miss out on this charming home in a great neighbourhood!
Rent: $1600/month (incl. utilities)

FOR LEASE - BEDFORD (Basinview)-April 01, 2008
Price: $1,100.00
Ad ID: 38130057
Unique Visits: 158
SEMI-DETACHED HOME FOR LEASE!!!
Spacious, bright, 3 bedroom, 2 full bath and 1/2 bath off foyer.
Nicely landscaped corner lot and fenced back yard.
Parking for two vehicles.
Fridge, stove and dishwasher.
Finished basement with lots of storage.
Many recent upgrades.
We are located within walking distance to Sobeys,Shoppers Drug Mart, Elementary School and on #86 bus route.

Maybe you can see why I mentioned your advert because I thought the sign was wrong £ instead of $, but then since I've been in Canada I no longer think in £.
For this argument to go any further you have to compare like with like, A 3 bed semi with a 4 bed detached? If I compared yours with a caravan on the south shore then i am sure it would get your back up ($300 per week by the way!!). If you come back with a 4 bed house in Fall River/Windsor Junction, fully furnished with utilities, large garden, kiddies play area and located for good schools at $150 a week then I will eat my hat and accept I am expensive. If someone wants to rent more cheaply in other areas that is for them. It all boils down to those 3 magical words

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

Cheers now

Bob
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

For this argument to go any further you have to compare like with like, A 3 bed semi with a 4 bed detached? If I compared yours with a caravan on the south shore then i am sure it would get your back up ($300 per week by the way!!). If you come back with a 4 bed house in Fall River/Windsor Junction, fully furnished with utilities, large garden, kiddies play area and located for good schools at $150 a week then I will eat my hat and accept I am expensive. If someone wants to rent more cheaply in other areas that is for them. It all boils down to those 3 magical words

Cheers now

Bob
I couldn't have put it better myself.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:06 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers now

Bob
Actually $3000/month (if thats still what its on for) does sound a little on the high side to me. We rented a fairly new 4 bed house in Windsor Junction last year for $2400/month. It was waterfront on Third Lake. We thought that was expensive too at the time but unfortunatley when we were looking the Commonwealth Gamed Bid comittee were flying in loads of people from Vancouver to work on the bid and putting them up in expensive houses. It kind of drove the rental market for that type of accommodation a bit crazy at the time. When we moved out our landlords couldnt get anywhere near to $2,400 - I think they accepted about $1,800/month in the end.

If yours isnt waterfront you might have more success dropping the rental a bit - better to be getting something than have it vacant and get nothing I would have thought?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Actually $3000/month (if thats still what its on for) does sound a little on the high side to me. We rented a fairly new 4 bed house in Windsor Junction last year for $2400/month. It was waterfront on Third Lake. We thought that was expensive too at the time but unfortunatley when we were looking the Commonwealth Gamed Bid comittee were flying in loads of people from Vancouver to work on the bid and putting them up in expensive houses. It kind of drove the rental market for that type of accommodation a bit crazy at the time. When we moved out our landlords couldnt get anywhere near to $2,400 - I think they accepted about $1,800/month in the end.

If yours isnt waterfront you might have more success dropping the rental a bit - better to be getting something than have it vacant and get nothing I would have thought?
I agree if it's that desireabe LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION why is it empty????
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:59 pm
C'mon already

I agree if it's that desireabe LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION why is it empty????
OK what have we done to upset you so much? Why are you assuming we are empty? We are just defending our prices and are not trying to get into a personal slanging match. Like you we are trying to optimise our property potential. People are free to go where they wish. If they would like Fall River that is our rates (negotiable) if not Halifax is a big City. There is no need for personal sniping
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

What is all, the fuss about?

If I wanted a house in Fall River with everything included Kasbob's house sounds great. If I wanted a quite couple of weeks away from it all Oyster Lodge looks idyllic.

They both appear to be in a similar price bracket, but aimed at a different market. Not being in the same location or the same types of property means that you are not even competition for each other.

At the end of the day people will pay what they can afford and stay where they like. The info is now out there. why argue.