Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting a Car? No Credit Card?

Renting a Car? No Credit Card?

Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

liam62244 is a jewel in the roughliam62244 is a jewel in the roughliam62244 is a jewel in the roughliam62244 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Renting a Car? No Credit Card?

Originally Posted by sac_de_loup
See. God helps those who helps themselves.
Ok ok calm down. Looks like HETZ may be the only ones so relaxed. Also ive found the following on Hertz website.

Use of a debit card to rent a vehicle is subject to a review of your credit history.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Renting a Car? No Credit Card?

We haven't tried so far to rent a car without a credit card in Canada but we did earlier this year in Czech Republic.
The reason they want a Credit card rather than debit is that they don't physically take the money they just "reserve" it in case they need to take it. It's not the full value of the car they require though, it is the value of the excess on their insurance. This will vary from £500 to £1000 on average so you need at least that amount of money on a credit card!
In our case we did actually manage to find a car rental company in Czech Rep. who didn't take a security from a credit card (we didn't have one!) and we managed to rent a car but I would definitely say you need to research this before going.
If necessary there are loads of prepay credit cards now available, the only downside is you need to put the money on there first "just in case"!!!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

We also tried offering to use our $500 float as a cash deposit with a couple of the renters at Toronto Airport and that still wasnt acceptable
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by liam62244
Ok ok calm down. Looks like HETZ may be the only ones so relaxed. Also ive found the following on Hertz website.

Use of a debit card to rent a vehicle is subject to a review of your credit history.
I tend to use my Visa Debit card for everything rather than credit. Enterprise car rental were fine with my debit card, too.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

There was no obvious 'credit check' when I rented a car through Hertz with a Debit card. They didn't say they were doing one, maybe they did behind the scenes, but it was all painless stuff - both times.

I have also rented using National in the USA a few times with my debit card with no issues whatsoever.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nldfc
We also tried offering to use our $500 float as a cash deposit with a couple of the renters at Toronto Airport and that still wasnt acceptable
Must of been the cut of your jib.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

mrmani is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We have just returned from Nova Scotia after having successfully hired a car from National Car Rental using our Visa Debit card. Prior to booking I rang National at Halifax Airport to ask about this.

The lady I spoke to called Linda confirmed that they accept Visa/Debit and was very helpful and said if there's any problem when I get to the front desk get them to call her even if it was her day off. However, everything was fine, they accepted Visa Debit. Good Luck

My previous thread about this.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617477
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks thats a great help. Did you reserve and pay online and just show i.d to pick the car up? Did they ask to see your visa debit card? I know that U.K visa debit/credit cards act the same so I dont see what difference it makes to must have a credit card.

Cheers

Any other people with REAL experiences is helpfull rather than people that are assuming certain points.
I've rented quite a few in the US and Canada and used Visa Debit on a some of those occasions without issue.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future

Hi i have recently rented a car through enterprise here in Okotoks AB, i used my secured visa card, which has only a $500 limit, the guy told me he only needed to secure $300 on the card - hope this helps
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I totally disagree. I've rented from Toronto airport twice (Hertz I seem to remember). I reserved and paid using a VISA debit card. No issues whatsoever. If you made a big fuss and said "oh, is it ok If I use a debit card?" I suppose you may hit issues, but I just handed my card over and drove away with a car.
I did this with an American Visa debit card. Had no problem, they're too thick over here to know the difference.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:42 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
they're too thick over here to know the difference.
I once used my british Halifax bank card in Maple Ridge. The check-out lady was amazed at how far i'd travelled. All the way from.....................Nova Scotia