Reload this Page >

Car Hire without Credit Card Nova Scotia

Car Hire without Credit Card Nova Scotia

Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:26 am
Account Closed

mrmani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Hire without Credit Card Nova Scotia

Hi Everybody

Looking to go on a recce to Truro, Nova Scotia in Sept/Oct. Does anybody know where I can hire a car without a credit card, can't get one due to certain issues. I know I can pay the deposit etc on visa/debit but they want a credit card on collection for the excess Pickup from airport or Truro town would be great. Thanks in advance

Cheers
Pat
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:33 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Hire without Credit Card Nova Scotia

If it says Visa on the debit card they probably won't know the difference. I've rented cars in Canada using an American bank's debit card with the Visa logo and it worked fine. Just make sure you have room for the whole rental on your card.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:35 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrmani
Hi Everybody

Looking to go on a recce to Truro, Nova Scotia in Sept/Oct. Does anybody know where I can hire a car without a credit card, can't get one due to certain issues. I know I can pay the deposit etc on visa/debit but they want a credit card on collection for the excess Pickup from airport or Truro town would be great. Thanks in advance

Cheers
Pat
I think that you will find it very difficult to rent a car without a credit card. I don't know of any company that will do that.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:52 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everybody

Cheers
Pat
I honestly don't think you can!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:19 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off track here but when you eventual move to Canada you will need to consider a credit card because a Canadian debit card is not as flexible as a UK one eg you can't purchase anything online with a Canadian Debit card.

Last week, one of the ladies I work with bought an $1100 dining set from The Brick and tried to pay by personal cheque. This was refused even though she would not get delivery for 9 days. Her options were cash, a credit card or a money order. She has no credit card so paid by money order.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:40 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Unfortunately everything I have seen requires a credit card in the hirers name for a hire vehicle over here.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:33 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Slightly off track here but when you eventual move to Canada you will need to consider a credit card because a Canadian debit card is not as flexible as a UK one eg you can't purchase anything online with a Canadian Debit card.

Last week, one of the ladies I work with bought an $1100 dining set from The Brick and tried to pay by personal cheque. This was refused even though she would not get delivery for 9 days. Her options were cash, a credit card or a money order. She has no credit card so paid by money order.
You shouldn't be using your debit card for on-line purchases anyway (and some would say any purchases). Remember with a debit card it's YOUR money and YOUR bank account that is at risk (even if the risk is tiny), with a credit card it's not your money - and the credit card company bears the risk.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:14 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If it says Visa on the debit card they probably won't know the difference. I've rented cars in Canada using an American bank's debit card with the Visa logo and it worked fine. Just make sure you have room for the whole rental on your card.
On the slim chance they allow the debit Visa to be used, the rental companies will always double dip; they will take the whole rental up front, plus 100% again as security deposit, returnable only when the vehicle is returned.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

Thanks everyone, think thrifty do it but it's very long winded...will keeping searching and will post if successful for future reference
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:26 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Car Hire without Credit Card Nova Scotia

Thanks everyone, think thrifty do it but it's very long winded...will keeping searching and will post if successful for future reference
Hi there, I've sent a pm about our experience of this....
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
I'll second that. Never used a credit card on a car hire in US/Canada. Always used my Barclays Debit card, which is a VISA card. If you have a debit card which is a VISA you will be fine.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:31 am
Account Closed

Hi all

Thanks for the help. Just called National Car Rental at Halifax airport and they confirmed that they do take Visa/Debit They only take the actual rental cost and no deposit or anything at collection. I rang a few of the major companies and they all said no to visa/debit but recommended National, so there you go.

Cheers
Pat
Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:34 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks for the help. Just called National Car Rental at Halifax airport and they confirmed that they do take Visa/Debit They only take the actual rental cost and no deposit or anything at collection. I rang a few of the major companies and they all said no to visa/debit but recommended National, so there you go.

Cheers
Pat
You learn something every day.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Rent a wreck you use to be able to rent a car without a credit card. I don't about now tho.

http://www.rentawreck.ca/
Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We had a problem with our credit card at halifax airport (something to do with anti fraud measures when the provider didn't know we were abroad) and so we tried to use our VISA debit. There was no way that they were going to accept it and we ended up calling our bank in the UK to organise using our credit card. We were tied up at the airport for about an hour sorting it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.