Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting a Car? No Credit Card?

Renting a Car? No Credit Card?

Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:43 am
Just Joined

liam62244 is a jewel in the roughliam62244 is a jewel in the roughliam62244 is a jewel in the roughliam62244 is a jewel in the rough
Default Renting a Car? No Credit Card?

How easy is it to rent a car in Canada. I have a Visa debit card but no credit card.

Ive never rented a car before so not too sure what to expect.

Any help would be great
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:45 am
Banned

sac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to all
Default Re: Renting a Car? No Credit Card?

Pretty much impossible. You might be able to get away with putting a huge cash deposit down, but I doubt it. Get a credit card.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:50 am
Just Joined

liam62244 is a jewel in the roughliam62244 is a jewel in the roughliam62244 is a jewel in the roughliam62244 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sac_de_loup
Pretty much impossible. You might be able to get away with putting a huge cash deposit down, but I doubt it. Get a credit card.
Bit of a problem, I have poor credit.

When you say big deposit, how big??
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Hmmm...won't they accept your visa debit as a credit card here? When they say debit here they mean interac, whenever I use my visa debit it goes through like a credit card and I sign for my purchases.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:55 am
Banned

sac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to allsac_de_loup is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liam62244
Bit of a problem, I have poor credit.

When you say big deposit, how big??
No idea. Probably enough to replace the cost of the car should you fail to return it. I know some of them will accept some North American debit cards, but I doubt they'd like a UK one. You might want to try calling a few agencies to see if they'll be at all lenient.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lucieg
Hmmm...won't they accept your visa debit as a credit card here? When they say debit here they mean interac, whenever I use my visa debit it goes through like a credit card and I sign for my purchases.
Ok Interac is just a cash card right. No visa logos etc. I was thinking the same as a Visa debit card is the same as credit card as long as there is money in the account when they charge it it will act just like a credit card or any other visa/master card right?

I dont see what is so important about having a credit card as Visa debit is just as secure.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

I totally disagree. I've rented from Toronto airport twice (Hertz I seem to remember). I reserved and paid using a VISA debit card. No issues whatsoever. If you made a big fuss and said "oh, is it ok If I use a debit card?" I suppose you may hit issues, but I just handed my card over and drove away with a car.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

No idea. Probably enough to replace the cost of the car should you fail to return it. I know some of them will accept some North American debit cards, but I doubt they'd like a UK one. You might want to try calling a few agencies to see if they'll be at all lenient.
I think you are talking out your "other mouth".
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Ok Interac is just a cash card right. No visa logos etc. I was thinking the same as a Visa debit card is the same as credit card as long as there is money in the account when they charge it it will act just like a credit card or any other visa/master card right?

I dont see what is so important about having a credit card as Visa debit is just as secure.
Honestly I don't know if I'm right but most people here don't even notice the debit under the visa logo...if it has VISA on it they assume it's a credit card.

BUT I don't know if it works the same when they put a hold on the deposit money. Normally how it works with a credit card is say the deposit is $500 they'll hold that amount on your credit card until you return the car undamaged. No idea if that works with a visa debit card.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I totally disagree. I've rented from Toronto airport twice (Hertz I seem to remember). I reserved and paid using a VISA debit card. No issues whatsoever. If you made a big fuss and said "oh, is it ok If I use a debit card?" I suppose you may hit issues, but I just handed my card over and drove away with a car.
Thanks thats a great help. Did you reserve and pay online and just show i.d to pick the car up? Did they ask to see your visa debit card? I know that U.K visa debit/credit cards act the same so I dont see what difference it makes to must have a credit card.

Cheers

Any other people with REAL experiences is helpfull rather than people that are assuming certain points.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

How easy is it to rent a car in Canada. I have a Visa debit card but no credit card.

Ive never rented a car before so not too sure what to expect.

Any help would be great
AMEX do a prepaid creditcard that you can pre-load with cash and use it like a debit card worldwide
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:09 am
Banned

Thanks thats a great help. Did you reserve and pay online and just show i.d to pick the car up? Did they ask to see your visa debit card? I know that U.K visa debit/credit cards act the same so I dont see what difference it makes to must have a credit card.

Cheers

Any other people with REAL experiences is helpfull rather than people that are assuming certain points.
I'd still check directly with the company rather than reading something someone said on the internet. You'd be pretty ****ed if you got there and they decline your card.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:14 am
Just Joined

I just check online with HERTZ. It sounds like HERTZ are pretty relaxed about payments. They state the following:

Acceptable form of payment via the internet is limited to major charge cards or credit card information contained in the Hertz Number One Club Gold File.

Credit cards must have available credit, and debit/check cards must have the available funds, for the estimated amount of rental charges plus up to $200 in order to secure the rental. Eligible debit cards must have Visa or Mastercard logo. Stored value/prepaid/gift cards are not acceptable to qualify for rental, however these cards may be used for payment at return.

Acceptable Charge Cards:
American Express / Mastercard / Diners Club / Visa / Optima-Amex / Hertz / JCB Amoco Torch / Carte Blanche / Discover (Novus) /

Japan Airlines / TPA (Transportaction Credit Card).

For possible cash rental information and restrictions call your local Hertz Reservation Center.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I rent vehicles every week for the guys I send out on jobs - every car company I deal with need a credit card in the renters name and that causes me no end of grief as not all our employees have a company credit card (Seen me having to order 3 vehicles all to the one guy then hand the keys to the others to get around it )
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:16 am
Banned

I just check online with HERTZ. It sounds like HERTZ are pretty relaxed about payments. They state the following:

Acceptable form of payment via the internet is limited to major charge cards or credit card information contained in the Hertz Number One Club Gold File.

Credit cards must have available credit, and debit/check cards must have the available funds, for the estimated amount of rental charges plus up to $200 in order to secure the rental. Eligible debit cards must have Visa or Mastercard logo. Stored value/prepaid/gift cards are not acceptable to qualify for rental, however these cards may be used for payment at return.

Acceptable Charge Cards:
American Express / Mastercard / Diners Club / Visa / Optima-Amex / Hertz / JCB Amoco Torch / Carte Blanche / Discover (Novus) /

Japan Airlines / TPA (Transportaction Credit Card).

For possible cash rental information and restrictions call your local Hertz Reservation Center.
See. God helps those who helps themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.