Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reliable SUV's

Reliable SUV's

Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:04 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reliable SUV's

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Just asked OH, what this could be, he said there is plenty of problems with 'em but not transmission ones, he also said they would have replaced the transmission. Ford are pretty hot on a recurring problem, he fixed a escape for a problem the other week and the hotline people called him and asked what he had done to fix it as the same fault had been reported on other escapes so they needed to investigate. Just for info sake.
I know of 4 other owners locally with the same issue, same model/year of truck. The revs rise and fall by 250 to 500rpm under a closed throttle, so the truck surges then decelerates as you're cruising along. It's particularly bad when descending a hill and using manual gear mode. It also locks out gears and the manual switch is the only way to change up or down. Doesn't seem to matter how many or few revs the motor is turning. Ford have been completely inept - I've had data recorders in the truck, and the data has been sent to Ford at Dearborn, they've had the vehicle in their shop over half a dozen times for days on end. The official word is that they have no fix.

It's my 3rd F150 and my last. Previous ones had major warranty issues in the first 12 months too. They're just too unreliable in my experience, especially at $50k a pop.

Last edited by R I C H; Mar 15th 2013 at 3:08 am.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:52 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by R I C H
I know of 4 other owners locally with the same issue, same model/year of truck. The revs rise and fall by 250 to 500rpm under a closed throttle, so the truck surges then decelerates as you're cruising along. It's particularly bad when descending a hill and using manual gear mode. It also locks out gears and the manual switch is the only way to change up or down. Doesn't seem to matter how many or few revs the motor is turning. Ford have been completely inept - I've had data recorders in the truck, and the data has been sent to Ford at Dearborn, they've had the vehicle in their shop over half a dozen times for days on end. The official word is that they have no fix.

It's my 3rd F150 and my last. Previous ones had major warranty issues in the first 12 months too. They're just too unreliable in my experience, especially at $50k a pop.
Sounds more like an electronic issue than a straight transmission fault. I assume it's a fly by wire system on those?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:58 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Sounds more like an electronic issue than a straight transmission fault. I assume it's a fly by wire system on those?
Ford have classified it as transmission. I couldn't care less what it is, I just want it fixed or my money back.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:23 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Just read your symptons to OH, he said, those turbo's are terrible. There is one in his shop another tech is working on that shows its overheating - no fix for that either...He's not happy to hear of another potential bunch of unfixable trucks.

I personally feel if you have a vehicle that has no fix, they should replace it for you free of charge, especially in the first year of ownership. I hope it gets fixed, ill let you know, if something comes up here - not that it will probably help you there is a reason OH prefers older vehicles, as most of the niggles have been fixed and the older they are the less electronics and computer chips, he hates all that crap.

Last edited by Piff Poff; Mar 15th 2013 at 4:26 am.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:29 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by R I C H
Ford have classified it as transmission. I couldn't care less what it is, I just want it fixed or my money back.
It can be a real pita when dealerships can't sort a problem. Sounds like it's something Ford are aware of but don't know how to fix. My Ram 1500 has a similar surge issue just as it comes to a halt, pretty disconcerting and the dealership hasn't a clue. These sort of issues are going to be increasingly more common and difficult to fix as vehicles rely more and more on electronics. I know there have been quite a lot of Sync issues with new Fords from a guy who does the Sync training of techs and it can affect the whole vehicle from a seemingly minor electronic hiccup.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
These sort of issues are going to be increasingly more common and difficult to fix as vehicles rely more and more on electronics.
Last week, when I was shopping for a tractor, one dealer made the compelling pitch "no chip in this model, nothing is computerised".

I suppose eventually we'll see cars sold the same way.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:25 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Last week, when I was shopping for a tractor, one dealer made the compelling pitch "no chip in this model, nothing is computerised".

I suppose eventually we'll see cars sold the same way
Yeah, they're called horses.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Yeah, they're called horses.
Ah, they sound good, I think I'll get me some.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah, they sound good, I think I'll get me some.
We dont have any left in the UK - theyve all been minced up and processed into beef burgers