Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reliable SUV's

Reliable SUV's

Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

cushdee is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Reliable SUV's

Can anyone tell me what they would describe as a reliable SUV?!

I see a lot of "dodge" for sale on there?

When i go over to edmonton i will be looking for a vehicle straight away i have look on autotrader but i really dont know what a lot of the SUVs are as i have never seen them or heard of them!

Looking to spend around $5-15k Hopefully something not too old as i really cant be breaking down all the time.

Any help would be great as usual.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

clay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to allclay is a name known to all
Default Re: Reliable SUV's

We have a Buick Rendevous, great car, not brill on gas, but big inside, great in snow AWD, massive trunk area, all round very happy with it.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:03 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cushdee
Can anyone tell me what they would describe as a reliable SUV?!

I see a lot of "dodge" for sale on there?

When i go over to edmonton i will be looking for a vehicle straight away i have look on autotrader but i really dont know what a lot of the SUVs are as i have never seen them or heard of them!

Looking to spend around $5-15k Hopefully something not too old as i really cant be breaking down all the time.

Any help would be great as usual.
You're asking question(s) to which you cannot possibly get positive answers. You will have someone praising a particular vehicle and someone else condemning it. Check for independent reviews on the internet to get more objective comments.
I would be looking at vehicles towards the $15K price.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What size do you want and what do you want to use it for? I mean things like towing boats or caravans or just driving around.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
What size do you want and what do you want to use it for? I mean things like towing boats or caravans or just driving around.
Something to get me and the mrs around easily no problems in the snow etc and also when family members come over be able to take 4-5 of us out easily with luggage!
Wont be towing anything with it!
The reason I want a suv over a car is I feel Safer when driving around plus the fact it can easily carry more luggage/people/shopping without any tight squeezes.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Check for independent reviews on the internet to get more objective comments.
We also went through the Consumer Reports and Lemon-Aid books from the library, but I guess that won't help if you need to buy ASAP.

We're still running a nearly twenty year old Buick as our second car, and breakdowns are surprisingly rare. Americans don't seem as tolerant of standing at the side of the road waiting for a tow truck as Italians must be (based on my old Fiats and Lancias in the UK).
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Something to get me and the mrs around easily no problems in the snow etc and also when family members come over be able to take 4-5 of us out easily with luggage!
Wont be towing anything with it!
The reason I want a suv over a car is I feel Safer when driving around plus the fact it can easily carry more luggage/people/shopping without any tight squeezes.
One ofd the posters on here bought one from the government although probably not ideal if your in the UK.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...wfsav&vndsld=0
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
One ofd the posters on here bought one from the government although probably not ideal if your in the UK.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...wfsav&vndsld=0
Is that like cars which havent been paid for and things? looks like a few bargains on there!! do you bid on them then?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 7:03 pm

Is that like cars which havent been paid for and things? looks like a few bargains on there!! do you bid on them then?
You go and check it out I believe then you bid on it. If you look at the ones sold you'll get an idea what they go for.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they're all ex-government vehicles, which have probably been run for a lot more miles than a typical private vehicle. Then you have problems listed like:

"Electrical problem that the dealer could never identify
The battery does not hold its charge
Check engine light is on
Rust, dents and scratches all over the vehicle"

Which is probably why they're getting rid of it .
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

Great spot to get a ex mountie car big crown vic driven hard put away wet. Then try changing the spark plugs and it all goes down hill from there.
Or maybe a seized drug dealers car You can even pick up some that have to be exported right away only here for testing
Old Mar 9th 2013, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

my company has a Dodge Durango SUV which i borrowed to collect my family from the airport

its a 7 seater with tonnes of luggage room, so that was 5 adults and their luggage which the Durango swallowed with ease!

It's a bit heavy on the juice, being the HEMI (which incidentally is bloody brilliant to drive), but i believe you get them with the 3.7 and the 4.7 aswell!

Its a 2008 model and is showing a bit of rust and crap paint, but it doesn't really get treated that well when it comes to the cleaning side of things, so that's to be expected...the F150 and F250 we have are the same

I have a Honda Ridgeline which I love (it's a truck) but you do get the SUV version which is called the Honda Pilot, and is a 7 seater. Very comfortable and well specced, and its a 3.5 V6 engine, so relatively easy on gas for something of its size (i see around 11l/100km or 24-25ish MPG in real money)

The American manufacturers have really upped their game in the last 5 or so years to try and compete with the Japanese, and they seem to be succeeding.

Go test drive a couple of things and see what you like, then check for owners reviews online, then make a decision based on that...its about the only way you'll narrow it down when you don't really know what you're looking at!
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

If you want it to last, get something German or Japanese.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
If you want it to last, get something BMW or Japanese.
fixed

wouldn't touch any of the VAG group with a barge-pole these days, Merc are going down the pan aswell!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by haggis88
fixed

wouldn't touch any of the VAG group with a barge-pole these days, Merc are going down the pan aswell!
Yep those Bugattis are shite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.