Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reliable SUV's

Reliable SUV's

Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:07 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reliable SUV's

Originally Posted by Oink
One ofd the posters on here bought one from the government although probably not ideal if your in the UK.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?...wfsav&vndsld=0
Yes that was me, I bought a 2004 Tahoe with 165,000kms for $6,500. It's still going strong. Costs me a fortune in petrol but we need it for towing in the Summer.
Attached Thumbnails Reliable SUV's-nn83pg1uikvbz5rsdeyewiswei1vhfyxphgmcorxlty.jpeg  
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep those Bugattis are shite.
always one fud who brings up Bugatti...

that said...for the money of the Veyron, there's cars that would be WELL ahead of it on my list

If OP could afford a Bugatti, i'm quite sure they wouldn't be on BE asking for advice on a cheap SUV
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
It made me laugh. What the OP actually needs is a Dodge Caravan.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
which reminds me, the Dodge Caravan is the Chrysler Voyager in the UK!

A lot of cars end up re-badged for different markets, so perhaps OP could find a Yank-tank SUV rebadged for the UK and try it out there to see if they like it or not! (No idea how long they have left in the UK though )

this obviously won't work for something like a GMC Yukon or Licoln Navigator...

although the Chevy Tahoe and the Hummer share chassis' - so test a Hummer in the UK if you like the Tahoe posted above
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:40 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

fixed

wouldn't touch any of the VAG group with a barge-pole these days, Merc are going down the pan aswell!
And how many current model VAG or Mercedes products have you experience of owning in north America that leads you to this opinion? Of the 10+ vehicles I've owned here, VW and Mercedes are the only 2 that I didn't have any warranty issues with. The Merc was US built, the VW German.

Last edited by R I C H; Mar 10th 2013 at 12:44 am.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Nah, get one of these:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...service=mobile
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:45 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I would have another jeep liberty, or ford explorer or if you need slightly bigger a expedition. We had a durango for about three months crap snow handling - so crap oh was not happy to let me drive it, and crap gas mileage, trying to think what else we've had thats an suv, erm I think the other stuff we have had have been trucks or cars apart from a couple of range rovers and ford bronco's.

Someone will no doubt recommend an escape, I know people really like them, oh, a ford tech would not have one EVER and if he were to be given one he would sell it straight on, I have asked him about his hatred, and there is nothing concrete, just lots of little things.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by R I C H
And how many current model VAG or Mercedes products have you experience of owning in north America that leads you to this opinion? Of the 10+ vehicles I've owned here, VW and Mercedes are the only 2 that I didn't have any warranty issues with. The Merc was US built, the VW German.
what does it matter where i've owned them...all the VW/Audis i've had were german built ranging from 1995-2006

the only Merc i've owned was a 190E Cosworth (the fake "2.5 not really a Cosworth but still has the badges"), and it only saw the road for a week, so my experience of Mercs is just from friends owning them!

Warranty issues don't matter to me, its the problems you encounter outwith that which concern me!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:59 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

what does it matter where i've owned them...all the VW/Audis i've had were german built ranging from 1995-2006
So none of them very recently. It matters where, as the majority of VW products sold here are built in the US, and there's a perceived quality difference. Golf GTI's are shipped from Wolfsburg.

the only Merc i've owned was a 190E Cosworth (the fake "2.5 not really a Cosworth but still has the badges"), and it only saw the road for a week, so my experience of Mercs is just from friends owning them!
Old 190's are hardly relevant to current models, are they?

Warranty issues don't matter to me, its the problems you encounter outwith that which concern me!
On the contrary, I've had engines blow under warranty (Subaru), needed replacement fuel pumps, steering racks, ECU's and transmissions within the first year of ownership. Warranties have meant a great deal to my ownership experiences here.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

that said...for the money of the Veyron, there's cars that would be WELL ahead of it on my list

If OP could afford a Bugatti, i'm quite sure they wouldn't be on BE asking for advice on a cheap SUV
So you've talked a load of bollocks before on this subject?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

its pertinent to the discussion though...OP's budget won't see them in a brand new VW/Audi/Mercedes, they would probably find mostly cars of the years i'm talking about were in their price range!

The reason I mentioned warranty issues was because again, the cars of these years and price ranges won't have manufacturer warranty on them, and neither does any car i've ever had!

The old 190 wasn't really applicable to the original discussion, but you asked what Mercs i had owned, so i mentioned it!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

So you've talked a load of bollocks before on this subject?
i've talked about this subject many a time...usually trumping all my VAG-bumming mates with the phrases "Nazi Motor" or "I ran 300bhp through my Type-R, gave it limiter action on the reg and never had any trouble with it, try doing that with a VAG"

none of them could
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:11 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

i've talked about this subject many a time...usually trumping all my VAG-bumming mates with the phrases "Nazi Motor" or "I ran 300bhp through my Type-R, gave it limiter action on the reg and never had any trouble with it, try doing that with a VAG"

none of them could

Spot the oxymoron in one, two, three . . .
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

none of them could
You had a Bentley?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

none of them could

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.