Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Refund for those in the backlog

Refund for those in the backlog

Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refund for those in the backlog

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It would be a fool that kept their application in the backlog that qualified under the current rules, particularly in light of the fact that the more recent applications are processed much faster.
This is true, but those people put the applications in under the old rules - if we had left it a couple of years we wouldn't qualify under the new rules. And mechanics are needed. Maybe applicants should have approved job offers when they apply for PR - that would clear some applications. I suspect lots of people apply for PR assuming 'Oh my job is in demand it'll be easy' when we know the reality is somewhat different
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
This is true, but those people put the applications in under the old rules - if we had left it a couple of years we wouldn't qualify under the new rules. And mechanics are needed. Maybe applicants should have approved job offers when they apply for PR - that would clear some applications. I suspect lots of people apply for PR assuming 'Oh my job is in demand it'll be easy' when we know the reality is somewhat different
I benefitted from the lowering of the points too. I wouldn't qualify now.

It is my understanding that the highlighted portion of your text is a method one can use to obtain PR if one's occupation is not on the list.

The fact is, having a Federal list doesn't really work. Allowing the Provinces to prepare their own is the way forward, then the list would represent the best of both worlds (I appreciate that PNP covers this to some extent). As with most things in a jurisdiction such as Canada, one has to trade off the Federal versus Provincial thing.

As Rich said above, rules and policies change all the time. It's crap if you are caught out by it, but that, unfortunately, is life.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
This isn't a list of sought after immigration professions, this is the list where they are trying to expedite qualification recognition.

Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications

http://www.credentials.gc.ca/fcro/pr...report2011.asp
Yes, you're quite right, it does! However, the fact that nurses -- to name one profession -- aren't on the targeted list for credential assessment, does seem to suggest that maybe they are no longer in such demand.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would be right royally p*ssed off if I was in the backlog that is being scrapped. I can quite understand the frustration of people who have put their lives on hold for several years just to be told it was a waste of time and effort.

However, given the situation now, isn't it better to be realistic and give these applicants their money back. Surely that is better than keeping quiet and letting these people continue to put their lives on hold when there is no realistic prospect of their applications being looked at.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Yes, you're quite right, it does! However, the fact that nurses -- to name one profession -- aren't on the targeted list for credential assessment, does seem to suggest that maybe they are no longer in such demand.
If you read the rest of that report there are changes in the pipeline or already in force for Nursing Staff - which is why they are not on the list. This in no way indicates that Nurses are no longer in demand.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...2010/fcr.shtml

In 2011, the Canadian Nurses Association completed a project to develop a second online Canadian Registered Nurse Examination Readiness Test and Preparation Guide. These online tools provide information to potential applicants while they are still in their home country and better equip internationally educated nurses to take the national registration examination.

The College of Nurses of Ontario, on behalf of nursing regulatory bodies across Canada, is preparing to implement a national assessment service to increase the capacity of regulators for timely and consistent assessment. The project will also allow internationally educated nurses to begin the application process and take the educational review and validation step while still in their home country. International applicants, who begin the assessment phase overseas, will better understand the steps needed to become a registered nurse and to practise nursing in Canada.

More information here: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...2010/fcr.shtml
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:45 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by siouxie
If you read the rest of that report there are changes in the pipeline or already in force for Nursing Staff - which is why they are not on the list. This in no way indicates that Nurses are no longer in demand.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...2010/fcr.shtml

In 2011, the Canadian Nurses Association completed a project to develop a second online Canadian Registered Nurse Examination Readiness Test and Preparation Guide. These online tools provide information to potential applicants while they are still in their home country and better equip internationally educated nurses to take the national registration examination.

The College of Nurses of Ontario, on behalf of nursing regulatory bodies across Canada, is preparing to implement a national assessment service to increase the capacity of regulators for timely and consistent assessment. The project will also allow internationally educated nurses to begin the application process and take the educational review and validation step while still in their home country. International applicants, who begin the assessment phase overseas, will better understand the steps needed to become a registered nurse and to practise nursing in Canada.

More information here: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...2010/fcr.shtml

Also CRNE will be setting levels for IETLS language proficiency as well.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:26 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

It is my understanding that the highlighted portion of your text is a method one can use to obtain PR if one's occupation is not on the list.

The fact is, having a Federal list doesn't really work. Allowing the Provinces to prepare their own is the way forward, then the list would represent the best of both worlds (I appreciate that PNP covers this to some extent). As with most things in a jurisdiction such as Canada, one has to trade off the Federal versus Provincial thing.

As Rich said above, rules and policies change all the time. It's crap if you are caught out by it, but that, unfortunately, is life.
I didn't even qualify for the 67 under skilled FSW so came over on TWP and pushed the points up that way.

You do what you can to get in whatever way you can.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We qualified before the lowering of the points (or should I say my husband did, I just tagged along). I think all applicants should have an approved job offer and be some sort of skilled, not just those that are not on a list as quite often it's jobs not on the list that employers want. I feel bad for those that might end up scrapped, I remember the heartache of waiting for confirmation of PR, but then we did something about the wait and came out on WP's whilst the PR was being preocessed.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:07 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I think all applicants should have an approved job offer and be some sort of skilled, not just those that are not on a list as quite often it's jobs not on the list that employers want. .
I belive this is the long term objective, if you have a job you'll get in and a much faster route to PR...
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:19 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I belive this is the long term objective, if you have a job you'll get in and a much faster route to PR...
this makes a lot of sense, and is far more responsive to actual labour market needs than the old system.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
this makes a lot of sense, and is far more responsive to actual labour market needs than the old system.
I agree
Old Mar 31st 2012, 1:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree
If immigration policy was only aimed at fulfilling labour market needs, I wouldn't be here, and nor would you. Or several others I could mention.

Perhaps this would have been a good thing.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

I am saddened to hear this formal annoucement. I have friends who applied in 2007, who are just sat in the queue waiting. I can remember how anxious I was on the other side waiting for my application to be processed. One thing this whole farce of the backlog has highlighted to many of us on here. Is that we are very lucky, and there are thousands of people who would love to be where we are now. I feel their pain as there dream is being shattered.