Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Red Seal for new landed immigrants (Ontario)

Red Seal for new landed immigrants (Ontario)

Old Aug 30th 2018, 7:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red Seal for new landed immigrants (Ontario)

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I suppose it depends if she's happy to work somewhere like The Keg, Kelseys, Turtle Jacks, Montanas or one of the other large groups - or if she wants to work for a boutique type restaurant. In the former they most likely won't be bothered if she has chef certification or not, provided she has her food handlers certificate, whereas the latter they are likely to employ the person who has it over someone who hasn't.

Perhaps a look over some of the jobs in the Toronto area would be of use, see what they are looking for. It's not really expensive to do = and the paperwork you could likely use the same documents for both - though I haven't looked into the exact requirements - it's usually one exam, once you have provided all the documentary evidence and they have assessed the hours and references.

Best of luck anyway, whatever is decided!
Thanks as always.

Tbh the place she works right now run a professional and extremely hygienic kitchen but it's far from being a boutique restaurant. Basically it's the British equivalent of somewhere like Spring Rolls.

She isn't too fussed about where she works but would prefer a Canadian or American style chain place rather than a Mom and Pop outfit as those tend to pay poorly and have worse working hours and regulations.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 7:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My son worked for The Keg (head barman, lol) for 7 years - he's now a manager at a 'boutique' style restaurant.. but can recommend the Keg as employers... and they like to promote from within.

https://kegsteakhouse.com/employment/
I'm sure there's a ton of places that would be happy to have her!

Old Aug 31st 2018, 10:08 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
My son worked for The Keg (head barman, lol) for 7 years - he's now a manager at a 'boutique' style restaurant.. but can recommend the Keg as employers... and they like to promote from within.

https://kegsteakhouse.com/employment/
I'm sure there's a ton of places that would be happy to have her!

Thank you, she's definitely pleased to hear that.

She's absolutely open to working in a chain steakhouse or something like that. It doesn't really need to be Pan-Asian. She just doesn't want to work in a small Chinese/Korean/Japanese joint because she's too westernised for that kind of thing at this point.

In her last restaurant job in Toronto she worked with some really nice people but the kitchen was a purely Japanese speaking environment and it drove her crazy.