Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Red Seal for new landed immigrants (Ontario)

Red Seal for new landed immigrants (Ontario)

Old Aug 30th 2018, 11:11 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Red Seal for new landed immigrants (Ontario)

Does anyone know the process for Red Seal when you're a new immigrant?

My partner has been working as a Sous Chef and Kitchen Manager in the UK for several years now. She has no formal education in that profession (her degree was in a clinical subject) but as I was the principal applicant, she wasn't required to submit any education documents to the CIC when we applied for PR.

Many of the jobs we've seen in her line of work require Red Seal but we're not really sure how that would work. She has worked in a restaurant and the service industry in Toronto before but I don't think they demanded any particular local qualification and she didn't earn any while she was there either.

TIA for any info/advice.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 1:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red Seal for new landed immigrants (Ontario)

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Does anyone know the process for Red Seal when you're a new immigrant?

My partner has been working as a Sous Chef and Kitchen Manager in the UK for several years now. She has no formal education in that profession (her degree was in a clinical subject) but as I was the principal applicant, she wasn't required to submit any education documents to the CIC when we applied for PR.

Many of the jobs we've seen in her line of work require Red Seal but we're not really sure how that would work. She has worked in a restaurant and the service industry in Toronto before but I don't think they demanded any particular local qualification and she didn't earn any while she was there either.

TIA for any info/advice.
Ontario College of Trades » Exam Process and Preparation
Old Aug 30th 2018, 1:48 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but I'm not sure if that's the same thing. She isn't trying to get CRS points or anything like that. She is already a landed immigrant.

She has no formal qualifications as a Chef whatsoever because they're not really required in the UK unless you're talking about culinary schools and Michelin restaurants etc. In the UK the only accreditations required for most people relate to health and safety and food preparation etc.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 2:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

OK I think I better understand what you meant now. I think she will probably just need the food handlers certification to begin with. That looks pretty straightforward though and can just be taken over the internet. It probably isn't altogether different from the food hygiene training she has taken in the UK anyway.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 2:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but I'm not sure if that's the same thing. She isn't trying to get CRS points or anything like that. She is already a landed immigrant.

She has no formal qualifications as a Chef whatsoever because they're not really required in the UK unless you're talking about culinary schools and Michelin restaurants etc. In the UK the only accreditations required for most people relate to health and safety and food preparation etc.
i think you have to start with that website to see if there's a provincial qualification or equivalent before moving on to the Red Seal website.

There are also food safety programs, looks like they are one day events or online.
there are also Food Handler Training Programs in Ontario. Onli
Old Aug 30th 2018, 2:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by bats

i think you have to start with that website to see if there's a provincial qualification or equivalent before moving on to the Red Seal website.

There are also food safety programs, looks like they are one day events or online.
there are also Food Handler Training Programs in Ontario. Onli
Thank you. It's odd because most of the job descriptions that I recall just mentioned Red Seal and a food hygiene certificate however Red Seal seems more about providing a universally accepted qualification for trades people Canada-wide than anything else in particular.

I don't envisage the food hygiene certifications being a problem for her at all. It's an area where she already has several years of professional experience.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If she can prove the required number of work hours (1½ X apprenticeship hours), usually 7500 to 9000 depending on trade, she can challenge the inter provincial exam. This can be done by non residents and residents. If she does not have proof of previous work experience, the trades organisation will sometimes accept a self declaration.
She would then take the exam if the work hours are accepted. If not, she would need to go through the apprenticeship program.

There is no 'Red Seal' exam, it does not exist, it is an inter-provincial trade certification that is Red Seal endorsed. It is a trade apprenticeship certification.

The trade is 'Chef' https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/trades-in-ontario

Most food prep jobs that require trade certification will require food handlers cert as well.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Aviator
If she can prove the required number of work hours (1½ X apprenticeship hours), usually 7500 to 9000 depending on trade, she can challenge the inter provincial exam. This can be done by non residents and residents. If she does not have proof of previous work experience, the trades organisation will sometimes accept a self declaration.
She would then take the exam if the work hours are accepted. If not, she would need to go through the apprenticeship program.

There is no 'Red Seal' exam, it does not exist, it is an inter-provincial trade certification that is Red Seal endorsed. It is a trade apprenticeship certification.

The trade is 'Chef' https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/trades-in-ontario

Most food prep jobs that require trade certification will require food handlers cert as well.
Thank you. I've noticed it isn't considered to be a mandatory trade in Ontario (the only service trade on that list that is mandatory is hair stylist) so does that mean that formal training and Red Seal aren't normally required?

I know it's a long shot but does anyone on here have any experience in working as a Chef or Kitchen Supervisor/Manager in Ontario?

She did used to work in a restaurant kitchen in downtown Toronto but it wasn't as a Chef and the Chef's where she worked seemed like kind of a special case (they were brought it in from Japan directly and sponsored for work permits by the restaurant). They apparently spoke little to no English so I doubt many of them had Canadian qualifications.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Aug 30th 2018 at 3:38 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I've noticed it isn't considered to be a mandatory trade in Ontario (the only service trade on that list that is mandatory is hair stylist) so does that mean that formal training and Red Seal aren't normally required?
As you say, certification may not be required provincially to work, however if that is what the good jobs are asking for, it could be a hindrance to employment not having it.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:48 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Aviator
As you say, certification may not be required provincially to work, however if that is what the good jobs are asking for, it could be a hindrance to employment not having it.
Absolutely and I don't think she would be averse to doing the qualification part time while working. I've just had another look on Indeed.ca though and it seems as though Junior Sous Chef positions and some Sous Chef roles only require the health and hygiene certificates (which is perfectly understandable and justified IMO) and a couple of years of experience and by the time we move her experience level would be just over 4 years.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 4:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Your partner may be able to use her experience in the UK/Overseas towards getting her equivalency done for certification here, based on references and hours worked.. but yes, probably an idea to get the food handlers certificate too - she can do it online! https://www.foodsafetytraining.ca/
(but do check that it's valid where you will be living - some of these are specific to the City. If you do a quick Google search you'll see lots of options)

Your partner may be able to use her experience in the UK towards getting her equivalency done for certification. Ontario College of Trades » Trade Equivalency Assessment
click on Experienced Workers from Within and Outside of Ontario

If you go to this one - click on 'Service'
https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/trades-in-ontario
(Neither Chef nor 'Cook' is a compulsory trade)

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 30th 2018 at 4:36 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 6:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Your partner may be able to use her experience in the UK/Overseas towards getting her equivalency done for certification here, based on references and hours worked.. but yes, probably an idea to get the food handlers certificate too - she can do it online! https://www.foodsafetytraining.ca/
(but do check that it's valid where you will be living - some of these are specific to the City. If you do a quick Google search you'll see lots of options)

Your partner may be able to use her experience in the UK towards getting her equivalency done for certification. Ontario College of Trades » Trade Equivalency Assessment
click on Experienced Workers from Within and Outside of Ontario

If you go to this one - click on 'Service'
https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/trades-in-ontario
(Neither Chef nor 'Cook' is a compulsory trade)
We'd likely be living in Toronto again I think but I'll mention it to her. The fact that she can take the certificate tests online from anywhere and within a weekend means she can fit it around her and the price doesn't sound like anything too problematic.

Hopefully certification is something that can she look into later down the road once we've settled in a place to live, jobs etc and she's starting to look at her future prospects. I think it's just a case of gathering any written references etc that she might need in the interim. She's only worked for one company as a Chef in the UK though (albeit at a few different branches around the country) and it's a big chain corporation type place.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 6:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We'd likely be living in Toronto again I think but I'll mention it to her. The fact that she can take the certificate tests online from anywhere and within a weekend means she can fit it around her and the price doesn't sound like anything too problematic.

Hopefully certification is something that can she look into later down the road once we've settled in a place to live, jobs etc and she's starting to look at her future prospects. I think it's just a case of gathering any written references etc that she might need in the interim. She's only worked for one company as a Chef in the UK though (albeit at a few different branches around the country) and it's a big chain corporation type place.

If she wants a job in that field when you move over then I would strongly recommend starting the process for certification (recognition of prior experience - equivalency) now. It's not a fast process! She will need also to gather proof of the required number of hours... together with any certifications she may have.

She may want to look at the training standards for Chef / Cook / Assistant Cook/ Chef
https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/train...service-sector

She'll need to do this beforehand anyway.

All Cooks/Chefs please note: An Ontario Certificate of Qualification in the trade of Cook, 415A is a pre-requisite for applying for the trade of Chef, 415C.

Chef (Pre-requisite required: Ontario Certification of Qualification in the trade of Cook, 415A)
Old Aug 30th 2018, 6:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If she wants a job in that field when you move over then I would strongly recommend starting the process for certification (recognition of prior experience - equivalency) now. It's not a fast process! She will need also to gather proof of the required number of hours... together with any certifications she may have.

She may want to look at the training standards for Chef / Cook / Assistant Cook/ Chef
https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/train...service-sector

She'll need to do this beforehand anyway.

All Cooks/Chefs please note: An Ontario Certificate of Qualification in the trade of Cook, 415A is a pre-requisite for applying for the trade of Chef, 415C.

Chef (Pre-requisite required: Ontario Certification of Qualification in the trade of Cook, 415A)
I totally understand what you're saying however from looking around online today I'm still not totally sure how necessary the certification is and especially since she would have to do two grades so the costs and paperwork requirements would likely add up.

She doesn't have any trade certifications as a Chef right now although I doubt meeting the hours requirement would be a problem. She's contracted for 40 hours per week but usually ends up doing a lot more than that most of the time.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 7:02 pm
Banned

I totally understand what you're saying however from looking around online today I'm still not totally sure how necessary the certification is and especially since she would have to do two grades so the costs and paperwork requirements would likely add up.

She doesn't have any trade certifications as a Chef right now although I doubt meeting the hours requirement would be a problem. She's contracted for 40 hours per week but usually ends up doing a lot more than that most of the time.
I suppose it depends if she's happy to work somewhere like The Keg, Kelseys, Turtle Jacks, Montanas or one of the other large groups - or if she wants to work for a boutique type restaurant. In the former they most likely won't be bothered if she has chef certification or not, provided she has her food handlers certificate, whereas the latter they are likely to employ the person who has it over someone who hasn't.

Perhaps a look over some of the jobs in the Toronto area would be of use, see what they are looking for. It's not really expensive to do = and the paperwork you could likely use the same documents for both - though I haven't looked into the exact requirements - it's usually one exam, once you have provided all the documentary evidence and they have assessed the hours and references.

Best of luck anyway, whatever is decided!

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 30th 2018 at 7:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.