Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

RED DEER ALBERTA

RED DEER ALBERTA

Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: RED DEER ALBERTA

Iam currently re training as an Instrument technician (oil and gas industry, wind turbines etc etc very wide range of employments) although I dont need this trade, I do have other options, to enter Canada but the money is better in the oil and gas trade. Has your husband done the red seal yet?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by dinger24
Iam currently re training as an Instrument technician (oil and gas industry, wind turbines etc etc very wide range of employments) although I dont need this trade, I do have other options, to enter Canada but the money is better in the oil and gas trade. Has your husband done the red seal yet?
Hi

Yep I see this!!

He has passed the Alberta Journeyman Redseal!!!!! In the bag, still can't get employment from UK. Could also be because we haven't got PR yet to hand. He's thinking like most Electricians going to Fort Mac (camp) first before us, just to put more money aside. As you're aware we have been bitten by the economic downturn, so have less to go with now. So typical!! We know about the work conditions in Fort Mac. Not a lot going to outsiders at the moment. We'll get to know more once we meet up with friends.

Whats happening in the oil/gas industry do you know off? I think I know???

What's it like being back?

Angela
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I didnt like Edmonton either very much, just felt uncomfortable, although I am sure that t is fine. Calgary was ok but I dont think I would stay there either. I havent been to the west coast yet so I might take a trip there at some point!
Like Red Deer size and location.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:33 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Hi

How long have you been away? I live in the Putnoe area so not so bad living here, quite pleasant surroundings and nice people. Love being near Mowsbury, Russel and Bedford parks, having quite a lot in them now for the kids.

The bus station will be demolished (eventually - lack of funds) and the flats nearby them are just being flattened. Formally known as Bedford Mound by the Civil Higgin art Gallery has all been done up; looking lovely by the river now! We have a new bridge by the river called the 'Butterfly' and quietly tucked away have made new fishing stands.

Queens park and Midland road is still a no go area!! For obvious reasons. Best say not too much.

However, still doesn't stop me from moving away, time for change. Been in Bedford for 41 years!!! Will really miss the family and friends, tougth one!!

can't believe the PR is taking soooooooo long, rediculas!! Meds done Jan '10, flipping hell taking forever and we're supposed to be activating visas in Jan '11, all booked up for Banff!!

Angela
I've been in Canada 5 years, Biggleswade before for 8 years, Ampthill/Flitwick and Bedford for about 5 years before that! Strangely enough I was talking to a customer today whose Mum was born in Ampthill

I do remember the butterfly bridge being built and it is past time that the bus station was sorted out.

There is a child care business for sale just outside Calgary - between Calgary and Airdrie, I've seen the sign as we've driven past, seem to think it's on with remax.

Originally Posted by dinger24
Yes I didnt like Edmonton either very much, just felt uncomfortable, although I am sure that t is fine. Calgary was ok but I dont think I would stay there either. I havent been to the west coast yet so I might take a trip there at some point!
Like Red Deer size and location.
#3 not keen on Edmonton, to big, industrial and crowded for this family!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I've been in Canada 5 years, Biggleswade before for 8 years, Ampthill/Flitwick and Bedford for about 5 years before that! Strangely enough I was talking to a customer today whose Mum was born in Ampthill

I do remember the butterfly bridge being built and it is past time that the bus station was sorted out.

There is a child care business for sale just outside Calgary - between Calgary and Airdrie, I've seen the sign as we've driven past, seem to think it's on with remax.

#3 not keen on Edmonton, to big, industrial and crowded for this family!
Hi

Yep I agree.

Anyway glad to hear some Bedfordians around.

What do you miss about Bedfordshire/UK & where do most people travel to work?

Angela
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:48 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Hi

Yep I agree.

Anyway glad to hear some Bedfordians around.

What do you miss about Bedfordshire/UK & where do most people travel to work?

Angela
I miss family and in the early days, familiarity, you know, knowing my way around, where to find what type of food in the supermarket (and being able to find stuff I know how to use in the supermarket).

Loads of people work within Red Deer, some work the 'oil patch' so travel to Fort MacMurray or wherever the oil is, some travel to Edmonton/Calgary/Olds etc. I wouldn't envision an electrician finding work too difficult - or yourself being a childminder. Just remember to apply at places that don't advertise as quite often they are looking for people too.