Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

I need to renew my passport but they want my mothers birth cert?

I need to renew my passport but they want my mothers birth cert?

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice
Default I need to renew my passport but they want my mothers birth cert?

I'm trying to renew my passport after royal mail lost mine and I'm going through the forms they need and they want my mothers birth certificate. How am i supposed to get hold of that?

They also want the photo endorsed by someone that has known me for x years. We've only been here since March so who can do that?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:18 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need to renew my passport but they want my mothers birth cert?

Are you sure you need that?

How expired is your passport. I'm fairly certain that for a straightforward renewal you don't need countersigned photos, and as for mothers birth certificate , ????

I remember reading on the US forums that the guide is kind of misleading

They have a guy , Dean , from the British consulate, maybe drop him a PM?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:47 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Are you sure you need that?

How expired is your passport. I'm fairly certain that for a straightforward renewal you don't need countersigned photos, and as for mothers birth certificate , ????

I remember reading on the US forums that the guide is kind of misleading

They have a guy , Dean , from the British consulate, maybe drop him a PM?
It's different if you've lost it I think.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:53 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't read that bit

Still might be worth a PM to dean though

Seems silly to me , the whole point about a renewal is that you've already proven your entitlement lost/stolen or otherwise
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:55 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't read that bit

Seems silly to me , the whole point about a renewal is that you've already proven your entitlement lost/stolen or otherwise
One difference is that with a renewal you send in your old passport as proof of who you are.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Either a. ask your mother, or b. send off to the relevant registry office. Links etc, at: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Passport_In_The_US

If you cannot do either of the above (as distinct from finding it inconvenient) then you may be able to apply for a passport anyway but it will take a lot longer while they verify your previous passport records.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

Didn't read that bit

Well this is what I thought too but in the notes for the forms it states:
If you mother/ adoptive mother was born in the UK her full bith certificate.

I also have the problem of getting the pics verified by someone who has known me at least 2 years. No one here has known me more than 5 months
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readytomove
I also have the problem of getting the pics verified by someone who has known me at least 2 years. No one here has known me more than 5 months
I had the same issue with renewing passports for the children, having not been in Canada for 2 years yet. I rang the helpline and they told me just to note on the form that you had been in Canada for less than two years. In my case it was 18 months which they said was okay. Would probably be worth checking with the passport office that the same principle applies for 5 months.