Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

RED DEER ALBERTA

RED DEER ALBERTA

Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice
Default RED DEER ALBERTA

Anyone living in Red Deer, Alberta? Are you happy there?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:05 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RED DEER ALBERTA

I am and yes thank you What do you want to know?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I am and yes thank you What do you want to know?
Hi
Anything at all??
We are moving there in 8 weeks ( well Sylvan Lake for the first 5 weeks when we arrive, whilst awaiting our furniture etc ) then we will be looking for an unfurnished rental property in Red Deer.
What areas would you recommend? Our daughter will be attending Lindsay Thurber High school, so somewhere pretty close by, in a nice neighbourhood??
Thanks
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by marietuluse
Anyone living in Red Deer, Alberta? Are you happy there?
Me too! Or at least I will be officially living and working here from the 1st October... At the moment I've been mooching around on a tourist visa since the beginning of May. And yes, very happy.

Haven't been here long enough to know about where is the best place to live, but I've not seen any particularly nasty bits yet.

Hope the move goes well!

Andy
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:37 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Anything at all??
We are moving there in 8 weeks ( well Sylvan Lake for the first 5 weeks when we arrive, whilst awaiting our furniture etc ) then we will be looking for an unfurnished rental property in Red Deer.
What areas would you recommend? Our daughter will be attending Lindsay Thurber High school, so somewhere pretty close by, in a nice neighbourhood??
Thanks
My daughter is also in Lindsay Thurber, what grade is yours going in? Mine is in grade 10.

We live South of the river - was always marketed as a more desirable area of town but with all the new developments in the last 5 years I'm not sure that statement still holds true. Do you like newer or older properties?

Everywhere in town is well serviced by buses, to get to Thurber my daughter takes a bus downtown and then switches downtown to the next bus, her journey to school is no more than 30 minutes from leaving home. The best thing to do would be to look at the transit routes and see if there are buses that go straight there (I'm pretty sure there are some). There is a really nice area downtown Waskasoo, lovely old properties but it's a small area then it starts to get a little untidy, I won't say rough as I don't think there is anywhere in town that is rough as in an English rough, if you know what I mean.

Are you excited? Give me half hour or so, I'm taking the dog for a walk now, then I can answer more q's
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

We live right on the eastern edge of the city, in the Davenport area. It's lacking in trees, but other than that we've no complaints. Takes 10 minutes to drive into the centre.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

We're going to Banff for 10 days and hopefully to activate those visas, if they eventually come in the next month or two. Only have four months until our medical expires.

Anyway, going to check our Red Dear as an option to live. How long does it take to get there from Banff?

Be interesting to hear some info about the place and maybe places of interest to see while there.

Angela
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smivers
We live right on the eastern edge of the city, in the Davenport area. It's lacking in trees, but other than that we've no complaints. Takes 10 minutes to drive into the centre.
Thank you
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Hi

We're going to Banff for 10 days and hopefully to activate those visas, if they eventually come in the next month or two. Only have four months until our medical expires.

Anyway, going to check our Red Dear as an option to live. How long does it take to get there from Banff?

Be interesting to hear some info about the place and maybe places of interest to see while there.

Angela
Hi Angela
We went to Banff (& Icefields) in June, It took us about 5 hours from Red Deer ..... but that included lots of long stops along the way to watch the bears eating dandilions on the roadside
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Angela
Urm, I think Calgary is an hour from Banff, and Red Deer is 2 hours from the centre of Calgary, but you can cut the corner so it's probably 2.5 hours driving?

Red Deer feels to me more like a group of towns than a city. The downtown area is quite small, but has some nice little shops (and it looks like they've nearly finished the building that they've been working on for the last 3 years). Most of the action happens along the length of Gaetz Avenue, which runs N-S, but each little community has a few local shops. There are some very nice walking trails within the city, as there is a nature reserve right in the centre and various other parks along the river. There is also the most fantastic ice cream shop, which we are going to this evening for the last time this summer before we head over the pond tomorrow.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi Angela
We went to Banff (& Icefields) in June, It took us about 5 hours from Red Deer ..... but that included lots of long stops along the way to watch the bears eating dandilions on the roadside
Hi

WOW oh Cr.P!

10 hours or under then return trip. Oops I under estimated that one, it doesn't look that far away but we are talking Canada!

Angela
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My daughter is also in Lindsay Thurber, what grade is yours going in? Mine is in grade 10.

We live South of the river - was always marketed as a more desirable area of town but with all the new developments in the last 5 years I'm not sure that statement still holds true. Do you like newer or older properties?

Everywhere in town is well serviced by buses, to get to Thurber my daughter takes a bus downtown and then switches downtown to the next bus, her journey to school is no more than 30 minutes from leaving home. The best thing to do would be to look at the transit routes and see if there are buses that go straight there (I'm pretty sure there are some). There is a really nice area downtown Waskasoo, lovely old properties but it's a small area then it starts to get a little untidy, I won't say rough as I don't think there is anywhere in town that is rough as in an English rough, if you know what I mean.

Are you excited? Give me half hour or so, I'm taking the dog for a walk now, then I can answer more q's
Hi
Oh yes please, I do have lots of questions if you don't mind?
Our daughter will be in grade 9. I am just about to take her to athletics training so could I pm you later on??
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

WOW oh Cr.P!

10 hours or under then return trip. Oops I under estimated that one, it doesn't look that far away but we are talking Canada!

Angela
That's with a LOT of stopping... Google Maps reckons 3 hours, and that's notoriously conservative.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smivers
Urm, I think Calgary is an hour from Banff, and Red Deer is 2 hours from the centre of Calgary, but you can cut the corner so it's probably 2.5 hours driving?

Red Deer feels to me more like a group of towns than a city. The downtown area is quite small, but has some nice little shops (and it looks like they've nearly finished the building that they've been working on for the last 3 years). Most of the action happens along the length of Gaetz Avenue, which runs N-S, but each little community has a few local shops. There are some very nice walking trails within the city, as there is a nature reserve right in the centre and various other parks along the river. There is also the most fantastic ice cream shop, which we are going to this evening for the last time this summer before we head over the pond tomorrow.
Hi

Calgary to Banff yep about an hour!

I was thinking it would be more or less these driving times you mentioned, sounds better now.

Thanks

Angela
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I done Banff to Red Deer last year, took the main drag and wasnt going to fast etc and it was about 3 1/2 hours with a break half way for a stretch of the legs so to speak!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.