Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

RED DEER ALBERTA

RED DEER ALBERTA

Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:33 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RED DEER ALBERTA

Mapquest says Banff to Red Deer 2.45 hours, it must had been a lot of stopping to be 5 hours We've just had a long weekend camping in Banff, there was no way it took more than 3 hours and we took our time.

As for Red Deer itself, it's a large town with lots of green spaces, lots of new subdivisions that have popped up in the last 5 years. There is everything you need in town with the convenience of two major cities just an hour and a half away, Drumheller is a couple of hours and as discussed so are the mountains - if your going to or from the mountains to Red Deer then the David Thompson Highway is a must see.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

How do you find the summer and of course the winter
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The weather is ok, it's weather. The summers are generally hot and dry (except this year where it's been wet) and the winters are generally cold and dry (except last year with fog and hoar frosts). The sun shines most days at some point, the coldest part of winter usually Jan/Feb just lasts a couple/three weeks, it's not been the horror we thought it would be.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Its the weather that is putting Mrs Dinger off! We had a friend over visiting us when we lived in Germany a couple of years ago and she commented that the cold we had at around -10 was much worse than she had back in Lethbridge, we put this down to the air being much more damper, stopped the Barbie and changed our shorts to trousers!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:18 pm

In England I was always cold in the winter - seriously. I used to type with fingerless gloves and wear a scarf in the office because of the drafts. My husband was really concerned that I wouldn`t cope with the cold here.

It really isn`t the same type of cold, we have shovelled snow in -10 wearing just t-shirts as we have got to warm in coats. I`m not saying it doesn`t get cold, -30 and below can be uncomfortable if your not dressed right and when the wind chill takes it down to -50 then that`s not nice, but you only get a couple of week of that. The length of the winter does get a little tiring but that`s more to do with the lack of colour I think, it is reeally exciting to see patches of grass start to show through and the first mozzie bite although irritating is exciting as it means the end of the winter is upon us.

The really cold-snowy day are no worse than really wet windy days IMHO.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think it is the weak summers and the long periods of dull rainy days that bother me here in the UK, that an the fenced in feeling! Any way I will pass that on to Mrs Dinger, she is the fingerless gloves and scarf type of girl, when I lived i Hong Kong she used to have a wee electric heater to keep her feet warm me and the kids thought this was strange as we were wearing shorts and flip flops!
Anyway back on subject tell us more about Red Deer please!

Last edited by dinger24; Aug 31st 2010 at 6:26 pm. Reason: Cannie spell!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:41 pm

What can I tell you about Red Deer - what do you want to know?

There is a beautiful river valley, loads of paved trail systems, and off leash dog park (soon to be 2), lots of boat launch areas for canoes, lots of picnic places a couple of malls. lots of restaurants and bars of varying quality. It`s a friendly place that`s big enough but not so big you get lost everyday.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have passed through it a couple of times, gas and a bite to eat sort of thing. Have a friend who was living there last year but he has recently moved so I missed poppin in for a brew when I was there with the Mrs, seems a pity but I just didnt have the time to see everything.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Mapquest says Banff to Red Deer 2.45 hours, it must had been a lot of stopping to be 5 hours We've just had a long weekend camping in Banff, there was no way it took more than 3 hours and we took our time.

As for Red Deer itself, it's a large town with lots of green spaces, lots of new subdivisions that have popped up in the last 5 years. There is everything you need in town with the convenience of two major cities just an hour and a half away, Drumheller is a couple of hours and as discussed so are the mountains - if your going to or from the mountains to Red Deer then the David Thompson Highway is a must see.
LOL! Yes, saw 3 bears gave them half an hour each viewing time, then stopped to walk in the snow.....in June so I suppose you could take 2 hours off that 5
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:49 pm

Residential areas to consider - and these are what spring to mind in no order of preference, but places I would look at houses:

Older areas - more established trees, generally bigger lots, resulting in more privacy (quite often the garage in older area is detached but not always the case:

Bower
Rosedale
Morrisroe
Anders
Sunnybrook
Mountview
Waskasoo

Not quite so old but have space and larger lots and trees:

Deer Park
Anders on the Lake
Eastview
Westpark

Newer areas lots still a decent size but trees not quite so big:

Anders and Deer Park again
Lancaster

New in the last 5 years or so, smaller lots, mini trees:

Lancaster
Vanier Woods
Westlake (right near Westpark)
Clearview on the Deer Park side

Now I don't go to the subdivisions North of the river or downtown too much, there are extremely nice pockets in most of them, some are just lovely but I'm not sure what they are called, the only areas I would rule out living in really are Highland Green, Johnstone Park and Kentwood - just don't like those areas at all. Highland Green is rough (or as rough as it gets here) and the other two are just to new and crammed in for my liking.

I found this useful link: http://www.realtyexpertsgroup.com/Su...e_2320808.html
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

Thanks everyone, it's been good information for me to!

Nice to chat to people on this forum and get straight advice without people being cocky and rude or too political about everything!!

Nice one!!

Angela
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:56 pm

Hey Angela, I moved from Biggleswade and did live in Bedford for a time
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hey Angela, I moved from Biggleswade and did live in Bedford for a time
Hi

How long have you been away? I live in the Putnoe area so not so bad living here, quite pleasant surroundings and nice people. Love being near Mowsbury, Russel and Bedford parks, having quite a lot in them now for the kids.

The bus station will be demolished (eventually - lack of funds) and the flats nearby them are just being flattened. Formally known as Bedford Mound by the Civil Higgin art Gallery has all been done up; looking lovely by the river now! We have a new bridge by the river called the 'Butterfly' and quietly tucked away have made new fishing stands.

Queens park and Midland road is still a no go area!! For obvious reasons. Best say not too much.

However, still doesn't stop me from moving away, time for change. Been in Bedford for 41 years!!! Will really miss the family and friends, tougth one!!

can't believe the PR is taking soooooooo long, rediculas!! Meds done Jan '10, flipping hell taking forever and we're supposed to be activating visas in Jan '11, all booked up for Banff!!

Angela
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was in Bedford with the army a couple of times!
Banff is very nice been there as well, what you doing there, or looking to do there?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dinger24
I was in Bedford with the army a couple of times!
Banff is very nice been there as well, what you doing there, or looking to do there?
Hi

Cool!

We're activating visas (hopefully), at Calgary airport and then heading straight to Banff to do around 5 days skiing. On the rest days between skiing wanting to see Red Deer and maybe job hunting, find some job agencies or look in local papers. Catching up with UK friends in Calgary- Okotoks and Canadian friends flying in from Manitoba. Banff is beautiful but rather expensive!!

We did a visit a year ago and wasn't overly smitten with Calgary, reminds me a little of Milton Keynes! Quite like the outskirts though. The good thing about Calgary it's so central. The other idea was maybe to move to Manitoba where we have established friends, we would consider slight outskirts of Winnipeg. Been to Edmonton not at all keen. I guess it just all depends on where we get the work.

My husband will be Journeyman Electrician and I will prob re-start my child-minding business, but will need to do my homework what area I would most likely to build up business quickly. I earn well here In Bedford and hoping to achieve the same goals. I have found that the majority of Canada provinces child-minding regulations are well behind us here in the UK, so I feel well up to speed. All child-minders here in the UK are now Ofsted regulated and have to follow the same learning paths. The only annoying thing is that in Alberta you can only have 1 child under two's, whereas we can have 3, but I can understand why.

The job hunt is the hardest at the moment while in the UK, and I'm very sure of it will be no problem getting work once we're in Canada, going by past trips out. The child-minding will just be paperwork, advertising and word of mouth.

Where do most professional people work who live in Red Deer? (I'm not sure if this is a stupid question)?

Angela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.