Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reasons for emigrating?

Reasons for emigrating?

Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons for emigrating?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't see that. One should have a trigger lock. Other than that I believe it's as low hassle as one could ask, I understand it to be legal to leave it on the seat of my open car while shopping so long as there's a blanket over it. When living in the country, I'd leave it loaded in the closet so that, if the neighbour wanted to shoot something, he could open the, unlocked, front door and borrow it. Cars, booze, they come with hassle, guns not so much.
Has to be kept securely. Non-restricted firearms, trigger lock or a locked case, restricted and prohibited firearms have to have both. http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Collection/PS99-1-2004E.pdf

Not legal to leave it stored loaded in your house, not legal for your neighbour to borrow it unless he has a licence and a copy of the registration certificate. There is an exemption to storing it loaded if you are hunting and in a camp.

At least in Canada they specify what the legal method of transport is, unlike the UK where there is no clear guidance, just "reasonable precautions" must be taken, which basically means if the police pull you over, you're in trouble.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:01 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
But you asked for peoples opinion in your original post so what was the point?
It’s like a lot of "not yet arrived" posters on this forum

They don't actually want opinions, what they are looking for is reassurance that their current opinion is right
Some will go so far as to group together and agree with other “not yet arrived” posters to disagree collectively with “been here a while and know” posters..
Some “just arrived still with rose tinted specs” I think believe that negative opinions should be kept in the MBTUK for fear that they could other people off making the same decision and exposing them to possible risk of possibly being wrong?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
You're welcome

On a more serious note, i do believe you should take some of the comments on board
Yes I do get your point, albeit put across with just a bit of a patronising tone... but I can understand some people spend just a little more time on forums than others....and get involved in debates a little too much

But yes I will take your points on board, I do actually remind my wife that we cant let ourselves get carried away in the while romance of the (hopefull) move... And even when we were in Alberta / small town called Leduc, we came across the drunken morons I cant stand.. (we were in a pub/restaurant so cant really complain! )

But my point isIm hopefulthat in Canada, the overall lifestyle is better than what is (in my opinion / experiences) on offer in the UK.

Maybe Im delusional, but theres only 1 way to find out, we are unsettled where we are, and at this moment in our lives it makes sense for us to give it a go...
and if we return 3,4,5,6 years later with our tails between our legs, then so be it, our eyes will be opened and we wont have that nagging feeling that we should have gave it a go.

If that happens, then I can be the one going on forums giving people my realistic, straight to the point opinion!

Last edited by alcat2010; Jul 11th 2011 at 7:12 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

But you asked for peoples opinion in your original post so what was the point?
I asked for peoples reasons for emigrating....

Not to be told im stupid / naive etc etc in a patronising manner...
And not to be told 'someones opinion' that I should change my mindset....

Again, I asked for peoples reasons for choosing to emigrate.....

Cheers
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:11 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
and if we return 3,4,5,6 years later with our tails between our legs, then so be it, our eyes will be opened and we wont have that nagging feeling that we should have gave it a go.
you should have the attitude that if you do come back to the UK after whatever period you will come back as better people with a more rounded outlook on life..not a case of coming home with your tails between your legs.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked for peoples reasons for emigrating....
You did yes. But then you went and slagged off the UK; which by definition means slagging off places el_richo likes. This sends him into a hulk style rage so please be careful next time.
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

OK let's see which of those comments - in red too, you must have been angry! - were directed at me...

and there are many rural areas in Scotland which are amazingly beautiful and where I would love to live. But the problem is employment. They are a long way from towns, and the transport system is such that it takes a while to get to a substantial town.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh *pulls out hair*

I don't get why you're pulling out your hair here.... I would love to live in the highlands of Scotland. The scenery there is amazingly beautiful. I want to go to Canada in the hope of an art and craft career, which I could probably do in a wee village in the highlands as well. However my partner runs his own gym. There is not the population in the highlands of Scotland to run this business. That's what I meant by employment....
As for travel, once you get into the highlands you are talking small A and B roads, maybe even single track roads. It takes a long time to get anywhere. I know that in the area we hope to move to in NS I can live somewhere very rural, and yet be less than half an hour from a sizeable town. Notice I said the *area we hope to move to*. I'm talking about my situation, not Canada in general.

We hope to go to Nova Scotia, where we (hope we) can have the rural life...the roads are big, and so quiet in comparison to central Scotland!
The roads in rural Scotland are so quiet in comparison to downtown Toronto. Your point is?
I'm not comparing rural Scotland to downtown Toronto. I'm comparing central Scotland to 'downtown' Nova Scotia - ie. Halifax, Truro, Wolfville etc. I'm talking about *my* viewpoint, *my* decision-making process. I'm not making sweeping statements about the whole of Canada, because the OP asked about our own thoughts and plans. I know it to be true that the drive from Halifax to Wolfville, or Halifax to Truro, or even in and out of Halifax at rush hour, is nothing compared to the M8 at any time of day. Which is what you'd expect when Glasgow has a population of approx 1mill, and NS as a whole has a population of 1mill. That is one of the appeals of moving.
That's my point.

I also agree with wanting to escape the ned culture of Britain/Scotland. I am tired of unruly kids, vomit on the pavement, litter everywhere, the 'f' word as every second word I hear, alcohol as the main source of entertainment, the complaining attitude. I know I can find these in places in Canada, but our intention is to move to somewhere they are not!
The mentality and thought process of people on here astounds me sometimes. They really do.
The mentality of people who don't understand why you'd consider moving when you live somewhere where all of the above is present to somewhere most of the above is not is what astounds me. What's wrong with looking to improve your situation? This is not the *only* reason we're looking to emigrate. But it's one of them! What's wrong with that? Again, I don't doubt that these things can be found in Canada. That is why we've researched where we want to live...

I don't doubt there are nasty areas of every city... but I have to say shootings are on the increases here, plus they don't need guns here because they're quite happy to stab you with a knife, machete or samurai sword!!
*sigh*
Not sure why you're sighing here... it's true... and I'm not a Daily Mail reader, I work in police services, so I'm aware of the crime in my area. I was talking about Glasgow with that comment, not the UK; again, not making general comments but talking about my situation.

My factual analysis conducted on this site shows these are the people most likely to return to the UK in disappointment when reality sets in.
Your factual analysis? mmmm yes I'm sure that's been done very thoroughly and precisely. Funny how you get so angry about people making what you see to be sweeping comments and yet you are perfectly entitled to make them yourself. Posts on this forum don't give you the whole picture of an individual's situation, thought process or character. I don't know anything about you or your emigration reasons and wouldn't presume to. We're all different, so we are all looking for different things. OK so I'm not a fan of yob culture. People tell me it exists in Canada too. I believe them. But from my own experience of Canada (which is more than just looking at pictures online or one or two holiday trips), it is not as prevalent. I can afford to live somewhere in Canada where there is a lot less of it. I can't afford that in the UK.
There are many other reasons why we want to emigrate, but I'm not going to go into them now because this post is long enough. You don't seem that interested anyway, because you've already carried out your 'factual analysis' on me based on 3 forum posts.
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

But my point isIm hopefulthat in Canada, the overall lifestyle is better than what is (in my opinion / experiences) on offer in the UK.
Its different, not better or worse, just another 1st world country, however that differance may or may not suit you
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do get your point, albeit put across with just a bit of a patronising tone... but I can understand some people spend just a little more time on forums than others....

But yes I will take your points on board, I do actually remind my wife that we cant let ourselves get carried away in the while romance of the (hopefull) move... And even when we were in Alberta / small town called Leduc, we came across the drunken morons I cant stand.. (we were in a pub/restaurant so cant really complain! )

Maybe Im delusional, but theres only 1 way to find out, we are unsettled where we are, and at this moment in our lives it makes sense for us to give it a go...

If that happens, then I can be the one going on forums giving people my realistic, straight to the point opinion!
Different lifestyle.....different. Try to keep that in mind.

On a positive note, I love living in Vancouver. Spent the day in Whistler yesterday and am going kayaking this afternoon. It's pretty nice, but i'm lucky to be in a position to enjoy it and have great access to the things i enjoy.

I loved living in London & Yorkshire and also had access to the things i enjoyed without worry, issues or the negativity you have.

The whole point of many realistic replies to threads such as these are there to bring many back down to earth and to set more realistic expectations versus what others like yourself believe to be real. Whether that's about Canada or the UK it makes no difference.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How many other parts of the UK have you looked into?

TBH, I dont think the reality of life in Canada is necessarily way better than the reality of the nicer bits of the UK, and its certainly a lot more hassle to get the paperwork to move to Canada.

Where Canada is clearly ahead is in the perception of what life is like here. In my area at least people think differently, the pessimism that everyone is out to get you that is widespread in the UK doesnt really factor into my life here, at least, not when Im not posting here anyway! Yes there are bad bits of the UK, but there are nice bits too. However the people in those nice bits still think they will be mugged if they go out after dark despite a lack of evidence to support that. Here it never even crosses your mind that you left a $2000 lawn tractor unprotected overnight in the middle of the yard, or that someone might nick the kids bikes from the front yard.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 11th 2011 at 7:21 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
You don't seem that interested anyway, because you've already carried out your 'factual analysis' on me based on 3 forum posts.
My second factual analysis of the day shows that you're correct
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:26 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Here it never even crosses your mind that you left a $2000 lawn tractor unprotected overnight in the middle of the yard, or that someone might nick the kids bikes from the front yard.
Some bugger nicked my BBQ when I lived in Vancouver, wheeled it right off my patio. And this was in Kits!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:39 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by iaink
Where Canada is clearly ahead is in the perception of what life is like here. In my area at least people think differently, the pessimism that everyone is out to get you that is widespread in the UK doesnt really factor into my life here,
I don't think that's entirely true, I think from my exposure when I go visiting back home, that most don't care or fuss in the same way that many leaving the UK on this forum would have us believe.
My mother seems quite happy using the busses to get about in Nottingham or walking to the shops, her little party of lace makers seem to be able to go out and have a nice meal without ever being threatened, now granted she has been wittering on about the lack of growth in here capital investments, but she’s still installing the new bathroom, so I don’t think the world has quite ended for all those left in the UK
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

you should have the attitude that if you do come back to the UK after whatever period you will come back as better people with a more rounded outlook on life..not a case of coming home with your tails between your legs.
Yeah you are absolutely right, I fully agree that if we do try it out and dont like it, we will come back to the UK with a more settled outlook.

Hence the whole, what if ? thing...

The tail between my legs was more directed towards the guy who said "I should change my mentality / thought process"....
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Its different, not better or worse, just another 1st world country, however that differance may or may not suit you
Is Canada "different"?....

Is Canada "another 1st world country"?.....

Oh no, I think I better start doing some 'google-ing'!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.