Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reasons for emigrating?

Reasons for emigrating?

Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Reasons for emigrating?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
did you not hear or see the riots in Vancouver last month?...and im still bemused how many people still say im willing to give everything up for my childrens future and better surroundings and upbringing..different yes..better no.
This was a reason why I started the post, to hear peoples opinions and experiences.

Why do you feel it isnt a better lifestyle to bring up a family?..

We did see the Vanc riots, it happened just before we went, dam! wouldve been good to see ha
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:17 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Harry Brown last night and a truer representation of modern decaying, karaoke singing Britain I've never seen. As you say, litter strewn everywhere, hoodies riding bikes too small for them, and every teenager with a shank. If there were more people like Mr. Brown around, Britain would be a much safer and confident place.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:18 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I watched Harry Brown last night and a truer representation of modern decaying, karaoke singing Britain I've never seen. As you say, litter strewn everywhere, hoodies riding bikes too small for them, and every teenager with a shank. If there were more people like Mr. Brown around, Britain would be a much safer and confident place.
+ 1
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that (probably) the worlds largest rodeo is held in Calgary. I suppose Calgary is just another small town in Canada with the usual small town problems...

For my money if you are going to pick a "one off" weekend event as an indicator of what small town life is like you are better off picking the fair or the ploughing match, but people find what they go looking for I suppose. If you go looking for dumb hickory Im sure you can find it, but then if you go looking for family values and good clean fun its not hard to find either.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If you go looking for dumb hickory Im sure you can find it, but then if you go looking for family values and good clean fun its not hard to find either.
You can get both at once, just note how similar the people look.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:21 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Except that the work is in the bad areas. Or, to put that less contentitiously, the work is in big cities, hence the population density in southern Ontario and, with the mass of people comes the problems complained of above. Nunavut may be lovely but unless you're a seal skinner by trade it's no more use to you than the pretty bits of Scotland.
I was actually thinking that the worst areas I've seen are in the poor rural areas, where growing up is about getting pregnant or running a grow up, with the only step down being the local reserve where work is selling illegal cigarettes and the drug of choice is sniffing gasoline
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
From what my wife has seen and heard, unfortunately your daughter might struggle to get a job here
That doesn't seem to be a problem in London.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

That doesn't seem to be a problem in London.
You missed out the bit where I said "it might be better in England"......
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

We live just outside Glasgow and we are sick of the drinking/aggressive culture, and the lifestyle that creates overall.
And move to a drink driving / aggressive culture instead. Nice

The majority of areas seem run down and not a place we want to bring our little girl up in.
Majority? I thought you were well travelled? Majority my arse.

We have been over to Canada (Ontario / Alberta / BC ) over the last few years, and are convinced more and more that the facilities for families, and lifestyle to bring up kids is far superior.
Comments like this are stupid. If you move from a shithole area to a nice one, of course it's going to be more palatable a place to bring up kids. This can be found anywhere in the western world.

Our eyes have really been opened to a better family life..
Better? Nope. Different?. Yes.

See above for my view on this comment

Rows of run down shops, carry out (alchohol) / take aways / pubs / sun beds, over and over again....
A small area does not a country make. Drive through some of the "towns" in the interior or even fraser valley and you'll get the same thing.

Our experiences, limited they may be, have shown us the healthier, family encouraged society, where kids are allowed to be kids, it really is a no brainer... we wonr give up till we get there
Depends where you live. This is available everywhere in the western world. Don't be so naive

Originally Posted by arniedog
we didnt want to let it go and then spend the rest of our lives saying what if.
What if you'd have stayed in the UK? I don' understand this thought process.

Originally Posted by etjotoft
Definitely for a better future and family friendly lifestyle for our kids. Like you all say the binge drinking/ yob culture etc too scary!!
Drink driving culture. Drug culture. Kids having anal sex so as to keep their virginity allowing them to remain kids for much longer. Gang shooting culture. It's not better, it's effing different. Like i said, if you move from a shithole to a nice area you'd likely not suffer the issues you believe you are right now. This applies to both Canada and the UK.

Well its something my wife and I have thought and spoke about alot, but the run down / drinking culture is not just a glasgow thing.. it scotland / uk wide.
It's not UK wide ffs. It happens both in the UK and Canada. Jeeeez.

Basically we feel the idiots are in a majority in UK, minority in Canada..
Now i KNOW you're not being serious with this silly comment........are you?

In my (ok somewhat limited experiences) in Canada, the people in general have a healthier respect for there country/ family life / facilities provided..
You did see the recent riots in Vancouver, right?

...for our daughters sake...
I'm sorry but you need to change your mentality for your daughters sake.

But the rural areas in Scotland you refer to, nice to look at and spend a weekend in, offer very little in terms of opporrtunities for kids..
And you think rural Canada will be any different? DIFFERENT opportunities is what i think most people mean.

Originally Posted by izzi81
and there are many rural areas in Scotland which are amazingly beautiful and where I would love to live. But the problem is employment. They are a long way from towns, and the transport system is such that it takes a while to get to a substantial town.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh *pulls out hair*

We hope to go to Nova Scotia, where we (hope we) can have the rural life...the roads are big, and so quiet in comparison to central Scotland!
The roads in rural Scotland are so quiet in comparison to downtown Toronto. Your point is?

I also agree with wanting to escape the ned culture of Britain/Scotland. I am tired of unruly kids, vomit on the pavement, litter everywhere, the 'f' word as every second word I hear, alcohol as the main source of entertainment, the complaining attitude. I know I can find these in places in Canada, but our intention is to move to somewhere they are not!
The mentality and thought process of people on here astounds me sometimes. They really do.

I don't doubt there are nasty areas of every city... but I have to say shootings are on the increases here, plus they don't need guns here because they're quite happy to stab you with a knife, machete or samurai sword!!
*sigh*

I personally believe the quotes above are the wrong mentality and reasons to have when deciding to emigrate. My factual analysis conducted on this site shows these are the people most likely to return to the UK in disappointment when reality sets in.

I need a coffee

*Wanders off, drooling and muttering incomprehensibly at the retarded views of some posters*
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

You missed out the bit where I said "it might be better in England"......
Good place to move to then, England; warm, close to relatives, historic, pretty.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:33 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Good place to move to then, England; warm, close to relatives, historic, pretty.
Well its popular with Canadian's that choose to emigrate
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

And as IainK suggested, if you go looking for family values and good clean fun its not hard to find either.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:37 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

This was a reason why I started the post, to hear peoples opinions and experiences.

Why do you feel it isnt a better lifestyle to bring up a family?..
Its a different lifestyle for kids...which doesnt always equal better.

if you want your children to be churned out like all Canadian kids who are taught what to say and think at school. Whose parents think that everything their kids do is so awesome and gush about any small accomplishment they acheive like they have won a gold medal and wrap them up in cotton wool until they are 14 then it is fabulous lifestyle.

For all their faults and criticsm UK kids are alot more savvy, street wise, more ambitous and more three dimensional.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Well its popular with Canadian's that choose to emigrate
I'm still mulling St Jamestown vs. Caledonia. I think the poor are probably better off in the city, in a country with no public transit to speak of, rural poverty is a trap in a way that urban poverty is not.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think some are being rather tough on the OP. This type of view is commonly held by lots of people in the UK, fostered no doubt, by national media highlighting, magnifying and generalizing tragic isolated incidents that after time seeps into the collective consciousness creating a disturbing narrative. On the flip side, I think it's precisely that Canadian society and by extension its media, is isolated and thus parochial, that other serious misunderstanding and miscomprehension of others exists. Apart from the southern US I've never seen such openly accepted racism and religious intolerance as I have in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.