Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reasons for emigrating?

Reasons for emigrating?

Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Reasons for emigrating?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Where do you think the poor in Canada live? In the projects, that's where, same as in Scotland.

What do you think kids do in rural Canada? Meth or Oxycontin, that's what. Same as Scotland.

Ive said before that I do realise ANY country has its problems..
My wife and I have not lived sheltered lives and we know a 'bad' area when we see one.

We have just returned from Vancouver, where we stayed in Downtown, next to east side/chinatown, known for being Canada's worst poorest postcode/area..
This in a city voted one of the best to live in the world..

We are not looking at Canada with complete rose tinted glasses..

We are hoping that what Canada has to offer, compared to the UK, offers my wife and I some more opportunities in terms of careers and better family lifestyle... for me its as simple as that.

(My wife is a nurse = understaffed wards /12 hour shifts without a meal break/ low pay / no more nursing jobs in Scotland....
I am a Firefighter = relatively secure enough career, but willing to give it up to give my daughter a better upbringing/ surroundings )

Your comment about Canada's projects and Glasgow's schemes..
Well I may be completely wrong but Im of the opinion there is more good than bad in Canada, its easier to stay away from the 'bad' areas, id say due to the sheer size of the country...

In my opinion, and due to the fact ive lived here for 30 years, in Scotland it is harder to stay un-effected from the bad areas / culture...
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:28 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
In my opinion, and due to the fact ive lived here for 30 years, in Scotland it is harder to stay un-effected from the bad areas / culture...
That the one thing that's a plus here,

its much easier to avoid and pretend the bad areas don't exist...
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
That the one thing that's a plus here,

its much easier to avoid and pretend the bad areas don't exist...
Except that the work is in the bad areas. Or, to put that less contentitiously, the work is in big cities, hence the population density in southern Ontario and, with the mass of people comes the problems complained of above. Nunavut may be lovely but unless you're a seal skinner by trade it's no more use to you than the pretty bits of Scotland.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Except that the work is in the bad areas. Or, to put that less contentitiously, the work is in big cities, hence the population density in southern Ontario and, with the mass of people comes the problems complained of above. Nunavut may be lovely but unless you're a seal skinner by trade it's no more use to you than the pretty bits of Scotland.
Its just not true. IT consultants and corporate lawyers may be thin on the ground, but Im pretty sure there are both nurses and firefighters in Belleville and Trenton. The "big city" problems may be around to a small extent, but I certainly dont loose any sleep over them.

Kids out here are doing pot if anything. Better stoned then pissed in my view. One wonders what drugs kids in the civilised city are doing?

The downside to country living I see is that you need to drive kids to everything. Theres is lots for them to do, but the absence of public transport options means moms taxi does all the work. We dont mind, for us the pros certainly outweigh the cons.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 11th 2011 at 3:53 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

(My wife is a nurse = understaffed wards /12 hour shifts without a meal break/ low pay / no more nursing jobs in Scotland....
As it goes, one of my daughters is a nurse and has emigrated from Canada to the UK. She's not working yet but I'll be interested to hear how an inner city trauma unit there compares to one here. I rather miss the weekly update on how many patients are chained to their beds and the gruesome tales of patients wandering out to put street drugs in their IV holes and then being hit by traffic.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:49 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Ive said before that I do realise ANY country has its problems..
My wife and I have not lived sheltered lives and we know a 'bad' area when we see one.

We have just returned from Vancouver, where we stayed in Downtown, next to east side/chinatown, known for being Canada's worst poorest postcode/area..
This in a city voted one of the best to live in the world..

We are not looking at Canada with complete rose tinted glasses..

We are hoping that what Canada has to offer, compared to the UK, offers my wife and I some more opportunities in terms of careers and better family lifestyle... for me its as simple as that.

I am a Firefighter = relatively secure enough career, but willing to give it up to give my daughter a better upbringing/ surroundings )

did you not hear or see the riots in Vancouver last month?...and im still bemused how many people still say im willing to give everything up for my childrens future and better surroundings and upbringing..different yes..better no.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
Its just not true. Im pretty sure there are both nurses and firefighters in Belleville and Trenton. The "big city" problems may be around to a small extent, but I certainly dont loose any sleep over them.
And what would you say are the chances of a fireman unrelated to the fire chief finding work in small town Ontario?

Kids out here are doing pot if anything. Better stoned then pissed in my view. One wonders what drugs kids in the civilised city are doing?
Perhaps I should provide a link to the facebook page of my niece who lives near Smith Falls. The one renowned for "beer bloat". She doesn't seem to lack alcohol to go with her drugs. The language used, being largely derived from rap lyrics, makes quotation here inappropriate.

Visitors wanting a view of rural population might try attending a rodeo, as we did yesterday, a place where it's acceptable to wear a shirt celebrating the peculiar lifestyle of Michael Vick, a place where a young woman sporting a "White Trash Beautiful" tattoo might feel at home. "Culture shock" doesn't quite sum up this leap into "In the Heat of the Night" country.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

. I guess I like it here and everything has worked out pretty well. For me the cliches about lack of crime and stress, more space, 4 real seasons etc are all true. Much as I like to visit the UK now and then for some decent pubs and some history, and to catch up with family, Canada is home now.
Ditto.......lived just outside Glasgow, now been here since 2004
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
did you not hear or see the riots in Vancouver last month?...and im still bemused how many people still say im willing to give everything up for my childrens future and better surroundings and upbringing..different yes..better no.
The thing is, the hockey riot is hardly representative of everyday canadian living is it?

The fact that a Canadian team was even in with a chance to win the stanley cup is rather exceptional for starters...
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

And what would you say are the chances of a fireman unrelated to the fire chief finding work in small town Ontario?
Same as anyone else with the necessary qualifications as far as I know. Same goes for policing around here. But then I dont see Canada at all like you do.

Lets not forget that a certain expat we know is working in a hospital near me, and as far as I know shes not related to anyone there

Last edited by iaink; Jul 11th 2011 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Visitors wanting a view of rural population might try attending a rodeo, as we did yesterday, a place where it's acceptable to wear a shirt celebrating the peculiar lifestyle of Michael Vick, a place where a young woman sporting a "White Trash Beautiful" tattoo might feel at home. "Culture shock" doesn't quite sum up this leap into "In the Heat of the Night" country.
Or maybe they could attend a church youth group picnic, or a united way fundraiser car wash, it would be just as relevant.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
you clearly haven't lived in Glasgow and experienced the yearly Orange marches! One riot in Vancouver does not equal the joy that is Orange marching season... or the occasional Old Firm flare up.

Iaink - it is nice to know the cliches of less stress and less crime ring true for some... I hope it's what we find as well
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:07 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
you clearly haven't lived in Glasgow and experienced the yearly Orange marches! One riot in Vancouver does not equal the joy that is Orange marching season... or the occasional Old Firm flare up.

Iaink - it is nice to know the cliches of less stress and less crime ring true for some... I hope it's what we find as well
no never lived in Glasgow but did work on 2 projects one in Coatbridge and one in Airdre (which is the most depressing town i have ever been to in the UK) Also i did spend a lot of time living in the shit hole thats is Lewisham/Deptford SE London so i do know what living in the inner city of somehwere like Glasgow is like.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Or maybe they could attend a church youth group picnic, or a united way fundraiser car wash, it would be just as relevant.
No need to go to church, overbearing, in-your-face religiosity is aggressively displayed at the rodeo. People compete for God and Canada (a characteristicaly derivative wording).
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

As it goes, one of my daughters is a nurse and has emigrated from Canada to the UK. She's not working yet but I'll be interested to hear how an inner city trauma unit there compares to one here. I rather miss the weekly update on how many patients are chained to their beds and the gruesome tales of patients wandering out to put street drugs in their IV holes and then being hit by traffic.
From what my wife has seen and heard, unfortunately your daughter might struggle to get a job here (well in Scotland anyway) Im sure England might me a bit better though...

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.