Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Really silly question - here I go...

Really silly question - here I go...

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:27 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Really silly question - here I go...

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
Yes I posted the letter thanks. It was a pre addressed thing to Fido for my mobile bill, so I had to put my details on the back.

Your Vienna story made me laugh.
Good. Remember to always put a return address on anything you mail here.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
Your Vienna story made me laugh.
Me too.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Also, if you are lucky enough to still have a real door to door mail service in your area you can just do what we do, leave the outgoing mail in the mailbox with some change in a baggy, and have the mail man take care of the rest (change and reciept left the next day) (
Wow, you live in the Canadian version of Mayberry.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Wow, you live in the Canadian version of Mayberry.
And I count my blessings for it every day!

Sadly I dont expect it to last forever. My boss had a communal box foisted upon his neighbourhood, I expect another restructuring or two and it will be our turn in the name of efficiency*

* Canada Posts, NOT the customers...
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:57 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Did you manage to post the letter though? And did you put a return address on it?

If it makes you feel any better, many years in Vienna ago I posted all my vacation postcards in what later turned out to be a litter bin.

hahahaha now thats funny
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

And I count my blessings for it every day!

Sadly I dont expect it to last forever. My boss had a communal box foisted upon his neighbourhood, I expect another restructuring or two and it will be our turn in the name of efficiency*

* Canada Posts, NOT the customers...
We have a mailbox at the end of the drive and it usually contains a billet doux from Canada Post complaining about something. "Inadequate snow clearance", "pot holes to be filled. Next inspection Wednesday fortnight". My this postman loves love to whine, we heard nothing from the previous incumbent.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We have a mailbox at the end of the drive and it usually contains a billet doux from Canada Post complaining about something. "Inadequate snow clearance", "pot holes to be filled. Next inspection Wednesday fortnight". My this postman loves love to whine, we heard nothing from the previous incumbent.
We take care of him, he takes care of us. After a winter of vicous ploughing we did once have to fix the box (really a row of three boxes) so that it was no longer leaning back from the road at 45°, but that seemed like common sense to me anyway... Besides, doing tasks around the house armed with a chainsaw is always fun, right?

Last edited by iaink; Jun 3rd 2009 at 6:20 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

We take care of him, he takes care of us. After a winter of vicous ploughing we did once have to fix the box (really a row of three boxes) so that it was no longer leaning back from the road at 45°, but that seemed like common sense to me anyway... Besides doing tasks around the house armed with a chainsaw is always fun, right?
Indeed. I have a chainsaw in the Beetle right now, in case of seeing something sawable on the way home.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Indeed. I have a chainsaw in the Beetle right now, in case of seeing something sawable on the way home.
Your Beetle certainly seems to lead an alternative lifestyle. (probably at least as alternative as the typical Beetle owners lifestyle anyway) You might well be the first person to ever carry a chainsaw in a beetle convertible?

Hope you have it on some newspaper or something....that chain oil doesnt stay nicely in its little tank....you wouldnt want to stain the upholstery
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Your Beetle certainly seems to lead an alternative lifestyle. (probably at least as alternative as the typical Beetle owners lifestyle anyway) You might well be the first person to ever carry a chainsaw in a beetle convertible?

Hope you have it on some newspaper or something....that chain oil doesnt stay nicely in its little tank....you wouldnt want to stain the upholstery
It's in a garbage bag on to of the dog blanket (a furry paw printed thing) but, tbh, the upholstery is pretty much shot anyway. It's leather and the pipeing has peeled so it now looks as if it's deliberately white in contrast to the general black colour. The frame of the passenger has broken on one side and the back leans a bit. The driver's seat has sagged in the middle and really needs a cushion, only then you wouldn't feel the heater in the seat and you need that as the engine driven heater has packed up.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

It's in a garbage bag on to of the dog blanket (a furry paw printed thing) but, tbh, the upholstery is pretty much shot anyway. It's leather and the pipeing has peeled so it now looks as if it's deliberately white in contrast to the general black colour. The frame of the passenger has broken on one side and the back leans a bit. The driver's seat has sagged in the middle and really needs a cushion, only then you wouldn't feel the heater in the seat and you need that as the engine driven heater has packed up.
Another quality Mexican product then?

A neighbour recently got a pontiac G6 convertible....I never thought I would say this about a Pontiac, but it actually looks quite good.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Another quality Mexican product then?
It does have quite a hard life but still it was disconcerting to hear the dealer say that it wasn't really worth replacing the worn out catalytic converter. It's only just two years old.

A neighbour recently got a pontiac G6 convertible....I never thought I would say this about a Pontiac, but it actually looks quite good.
Can't place it but I like the outside of the Pontiac Solstice, some Pontiacs have style.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

The solstice is nice enough looking (based on a vauxhaul or something?), but I couldnt bring myself to buy one in place of a real sportscar like a Miata. The G6 is bit like a poor mans VW Eos or Volvo I suppose.

It has back seats...a major selling point for us
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 6:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Ah yes, I've seen those around. Perhaps they're a bargain right now.

The Beetle has back seats but the Mustang's were more usable. You really have to be a very small child, or a dog, to be able to sit in the back of either for any distance. Still, what's a bit of child suffering if it allows an open car?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:24 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.gmphotostore.com/images/53219073_pr.jpg

The solstice is nice enough looking (based on a vauxhaul or something?), but I couldnt bring myself to buy one in place of a real sportscar like a Miata. The G6 is bit like a poor mans VW Eos or Volvo I suppose.

I love this car.