Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Really silly question - here I go...

Really silly question - here I go...

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:23 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Really silly question - here I go...

I just noticed I can buy stamps on line and they will post them to me!! - made me laugh.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:25 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
Thanks for all you help.

Off to post my letter
Take care crossing the road and try to remember that doors open outwards.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:26 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Also, if you are lucky enough to still have a real door to door mail service in your area you can just do what we do, leave the outgoing mail in the mailbox with some change in a baggy, and have the mail man take care of the rest (change and reciept left the next day) Ill miss that when we inevitably get switched to a communal central box
In addition to what Iain has said, we have a communal mailbox about 50 yards from our house and it has a built-in post box where you can drop letters and small parcels into for collection by the mail man.

Note: Do not get the relatives to send chocolate to you in the Summer as the mail box is metal and gets heated to temperatures that cause said chocolate parcel to turn into a runny goo. We still eat it though!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:26 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I've found that stamps are available in many corner stores, grocery shops, gas stations etc. Can't recall the last time I used a post office to buy them.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Madmac
In addition to what Iain has said, we have a communal mailbox about 50 yards from our house and it has a built-in post box where you can drop letters and small parcels into for collection by the mail man.

Note: Do not get the relatives to send chocolate to you in the Summer as the mail box is metal and gets heated to temperatures that cause said chocolate parcel to turn into a runny goo. We still eat it though!
We also have a communal post delivery box about 50 yards away. I expect I could drop letters into that for posting. I will check it out later.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:45 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

We also have a communal post delivery box about 50 yards away. I expect I could drop letters into that for posting. I will check it out later.
There is an outgoing mail slot at the top of the box.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I just found that page - thanks

Looks like there is one in shoppers drug mart over the road.
And people think I post only mockery and derision!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And people think I post only mockery and derision!
I wouldnt say only
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:57 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jericho
Yeah, really helpful response.
On the contrary...I haven't a clue which town the OP lives in in Toronto but with the aid of google she can find her nearest PO ...savvy
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:59 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Web site tells me how much it costs doesnt tell me where I can find a place to buy them or where I can post them.
Originally Posted by Steve_P
Well done Steve.....
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by srah
On the contrary...I haven't a clue which town the OP lives in in Toronto but with the aid of google she can find her nearest PO ...savvy
Thanks jericho for your responce to this reply.

srah - I presume that you once were new to this country, may be it was a while ago and you have forgotten some of the little frustrations that really get to you when you are new.

I am 55 years of age, I used to be a department head in the UK magageing 43 people. For me to have to ask a silly question like "where do I post a letter" is a big thing for me. To have a responce like the one you gave me, was not at all helpful. I had googled Canada Post before posting.

Can I suggest that in future if you cannot add anything of value then dont add anything, that ends up making people feel silly - take the time to consider
A: How you responce comes off the page
B: How it make the reciever feel.
C: How it reflects on you.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

srah - I presume that you once were new to this country, may be it was a while ago and you have forgotten some of the little frustrations that really get to you when you are new.

I can sympathize here. I recall standing in front of a blue mailbox on a street corner in New Orleans, just a few days after arriving in the US for the very first time. It took me ages to figure out that there wasn't a slot for the mail, but that you had to pull a flap up to deposit your postcard.

Not for the last time, I felt like a right idiot.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:17 pm
Banned

I am 55 years of age, I used to be a department head in the UK magageing 43 people. For me to have to ask a silly question like "where do I post a letter" is a big thing for me. To have a responce like the one you gave me, was not at all helpful. I had googled Canada Post before posting.

Can I suggest that in future if you cannot add anything of value then dont add anything, that ends up making people feel silly - take the time to consider
Sorry but you did say you had a silly question to ask...

FYI...this is an open forum and so one is likely to get all sorts of replies.

I was being helpful..if you had of asked the question to google or similar then you would have had your answer.

I have been a stranger in many countries and am very fortunate to have the aid of the www to find my way around.

You might find this helpful..... http://uk.ask.com/?o=312&l=dir

Good luck.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:20 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you manage to post the letter though? And did you put a return address on it?

If it makes you feel any better, many years in Vienna ago I posted all my vacation postcards in what later turned out to be a litter bin.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Did you manage to post the letter though? And did you put a return address on it?

If it makes you feel any better, many years in Vienna ago I posted all my vacation postcards in what later turned out to be a litter bin.
Yes I posted the letter thanks. It was a pre addressed thing to Fido for my mobile bill, so I had to put my details on the back.

Your Vienna story made me laugh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.