Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in Canada?

Is it really better in Canada?

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in Canada?

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Bingo!
Also the imminent threat of starvation at home.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Also the imminent threat of starvation at home.
That scares the hell out of me!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
That scares the hell out of me!
Not so much the emigrants of today, but the Irish, mentioned above, didn't go to America in droves because they wanted to see the Grand Canyon.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much the emigrants of today, but the Irish, mentioned above, didn't go to America in droves because they wanted to see the Grand Canyon.
They didn't?!

Jokes aside though, I'm sure there are going to be issues long term in the UK with food, power etc. That said, I'm sure the same will be true of other nations.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:56 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edmontron
I live in Australia, but I love reading the Canada forum, it's much better than the Aussie one, don't know why. I enjoyed reading these posts about Canada, I think much is the same for Australia, new country, wide spaces etc. Maybe I should try living in Canada one day, something keeps calling me.
The thing about raising kids without a back-up family is very true, you can't offload the children without paying for it or doing the same for friends, and you realise how far away you are only once you are here. I think it takes a long time before you feel it's not you being the one far away from the others.
its much sunnier there and you have Kangeroos.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:56 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, the "British" didn't really emigrate in the modern sense of the word either. In the immortal words of Dylan Moran, it was more a case of "you, you and you...f*** off, we're having tiffin".

That aside, emigrating is an adventure despite all the drudgery connected with money and jobs and whatnot. It's as well to treat it as such.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:01 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by triumphguy
And whether in the UK or Canada this ability is more often "honoured in the breach than the observance."

I think Canada gives a person more chances to "think" about being by a lake on your lonesome!

Probably for most people living in fairly modern housing, in a city with fairly modern infrastructure, in a fairly liberal society, in one of twenty or so similar countries around the world, life is going to be pretty much the same: fairly boring!
perhaps but vancouver is definately defined by outdoor activities. Its apparently one of the healthest cities in the world or is it Canada? North Face Jackets, Lulemon and kyacks strapped to cars are as common a sight as cell phones. Snowboards josstle for space on buses.

Even in teh city the access to beaches, parks and the seawall is outstanding.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:18 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w
Thanks for your reply but im the only one that thinks that!
Its me against the rest of my family they all think im mad not to go
If your happy and secure with work schools family & friends then i think it is a case of "you have nothing to gain but everything to lose"
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
If your happy and secure with work schools family & friends then i think it is a case of "you have nothing to gain but everything to lose"
Except wondering if you have the balls to do it.......

Don't discount that feeling. It may be bullshit, but it's a real driver.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:39 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w
This is what im wondering just now.

Husband wants to go to live in Canada, and Im not so sure it will be a good idea.

He has 2 sisters in Canada, one in Ontario, the other in Calgary. They both love it and say they will never be back in the UK (they have both been there for about 2 yrs).
Brother in law says we will have a much better life in Canada, better quality of life, and more opportunities for the kids! When I ask him how his life is better in Canada than it was in the UK, he says look at the house I have, I would never have had that type of house in the UK!!!!! Its only a house!!!!!!

Me, I think life is what you make of it no matter where you are in the world.

Here in the UK, I personally think we have a good life - we both have jobs, I work because I want to not because I need to, only have a small mortgage, and we have all our other family and friends. To me this is what a good quality of life means.

But does my argument, please everyone in our family, no, they still tell me "Canada will be better for us, after all this place is going to the dogs"!!!!
As you say "it's only a house." I moved for this reason, among others of course, but I find that living in a bigger house just means more housework.

You have friends, work, family, a small mortgage...everything you need in the UK.
If you think you could be happier giving all this up for a bigger house, then go for it.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 4:27 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Except wondering if you have the balls to do it.......

Don't discount that feeling. It may be bullshit, but it's a real driver.
It is bullshit espcecially if it is not your feeling!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
It is bullshit espcecially if it is not your feeling!
Exactly.

Ask OH if he wants to join the navy for a while - get it out of his system?

Both partners need to want to try this immigration lark out, not necessarily to the same degree.

One partner might get his/her way and the family moves over here: but in the end it could destroy the relationship.

IMHO - Not worth it.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

I can honestly say the answer to this question is we are in two minds.

We have been here now for just over 2 years and there are still things I miss about the UK. but there are things I like very much in Canada.

I think it really depends on the situation as I know for a fact if we had come over in better times before the recession and with all our money I would have found it much easier living here, but as it happens it didn`t work out that way and all the best laid plans have gone a little belly up, with regards to wanting an easier life and not being all work and no play. However, I feel my children have benefited greatly with the education offered here in Canada, especially my son who struggled so much in UK and I was constantly fighting with teachers etc to get him extra support which always came down to funding. I came to terms that he would never really be a high achiever but in the UK he wasn`t achieving anything and very disillusioned for the school. Now he is achieving and making school teams which has boosted his confidence considerably and has ambition and knows what career path he wants to take.

However, the job situation is very hard but I think that is also the case in the UK and what I hear the cost of living is going up so much that people are finding the wages are not covering their living expenses. So it really is swings and roundabouts. I think the hardest thing for me personally is my network back in the UK that makes me at times feel homesick and the security blanket of what you know. My hubby has found his work situation at times difficult only due to the fact that he has to learn a new trade again as things are so different here being an electrician. Sometimes it feels really easy to throw the towel in and head back to UK but it is just looking through rose coloured spectacles as I don`t think anywhere is great at the moment.

Bottom line is it is so easy to make comparables but at the end of the day it really comes down to not much difference. As UK has some very good things but then it is balanced out with Canada also has some good things.

I do think though if people arrive here with great expectations they will be dissappointed as it is not the grass is greener only different in some aspects.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

alanw22 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go somewhere for material aspects you will always be disappointed. A bigger house and car will never make you feel good beyond a few months.

The route to happiness is experiences not material possessions. So go and experience Canada, travel the country, you could spend all your holidays doing that!

On the other hand if you have strong family and friends ties in the UK that is very important to some people (not me, I'm a hermit!) so may be a deciding factor.

Also, if your a Gypsy like me, you will love just going there and being somewhere different for a couple of years, and if you hate it, come back!

and as for people moaning about online shopping and internet not being as fast I say 'Get a life!'
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by alanw22
and as for people moaning about online shopping and internet not being as fast I say 'Get a life!'
Yeah - get off t'internet and go to a farmers' market.

Rushes to get coat and follow own advice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.