Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in Canada?

Is it really better in Canada?

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

tioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nice
Default Re: Is it really better in Canada?

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Well how would you feel ordering something from the equivalent distance away as Warsaw and then wondering why it takes 4 months and $342 to get it to you.
I get your point re the size of Canada but that's a poor example. It's not at all uncommon to order goods from around Europe and expect fast, efficient and affordable delivery. Canada is one country, it should be easier.

The thing that frustrates me, is that when I go to Canadian retailers websites the first thing it does is ask me where I am and then shows me a sub-set of its product catalogue based on my location. That's a poor show frankly.

I'm not moaning, just pointing out one of the things that the UK does better than Canada (I still prefer Canada).
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:36 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tioram
I get your point re the size of Canada but that's a poor example. It's not at all uncommon to order goods from around Europe and expect fast, efficient and affordable delivery. Canada is one country, it should be easier.

The thing that frustrates me, is that when I go to Canadian retailers websites the first thing it does is ask me where I am and then shows me a sub-set of its product catalogue based on my location. That's a poor show frankly.

I'm not moaning, just pointing out one of the things that the UK does better than Canada (I still prefer Canada).
I have to admit I agree with that, so I have a list of random postcodes that I use to check other stores out in the vicinity - I mean really - heaven forbid that I might want to come out of my comfort zone and visit one of those new fangled cities

I don't think it's a poor example - I think it's spot on, you say Canada is one country and should be easier, unfortunately though - it isn't.

Have you ever been to other locations apart from where you are now??? I think you'll find life in big city Ontario will differ very much to life in very small town Alberta insomuchas we only get 2 mail deliveries a week - so there cuts out 3 working days of your "should be easier" premise.

Why not deliver 5 days? Because the poor old bugger in his postal truck takes all day to do one part of the rural locations due to there being a scattering of farms over a very large area.

Why not employ more staff? Because I think a staff of 6 delivery people to hand out letters to 100 farms is pushing it a bit, not to mention the carbon footprint of the vehicles (did ya like the green angle there?!)

All parts of Canada are different, and I for one seriously don't mind waiting a few extra days for mail. It's not really going to kill me (unless of course one is a death threat for the next day then I take your point)
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:30 am
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tioram
Pros of "my" Canada:
1. It is far more family friendly.
2. It is less pressured / fast paced / stressful generally
3. It is far more "outdoorsy"
4. The climate (note, I've not experienced my first winter but I'm looking forward to it)
5. Less anti-social behaviour
I pretty much agree with most of this. But do remember, if you are coming here with small children and leaving your support network (i.e. grand parents, aunts and uncles etc.) in the UK, it's difficult to find the time to do any grown up outdoor activity. Who is going to mind the kids while you go off hiking or skiing?

Don't underestimate the impact of raising your children without an extended family. My wife and I have been doing that for the past 5 years, and it's very difficult. Just getting away for dinner or popping to the pub requires major planning.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:01 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

wow actually balanced views for a change.

End of the day, happiness and contentment is about your life coming together in a certain place, be that the UK, Canada or .......
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:04 am
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
And dare I say it, some people are under the misguided apprehension that they are gods gift to the human race and believe that Canada will welcome this new immigrant from the UK and bow down to everything he says because Canada is sooooooo backward and lucky to have him and all the new shiny things and ideas he brings with him.
That's not necessarily true. People love me and realise how lucky they are I decided to move here. They never call though.

Originally Posted by dbd33
A low population density suggests houses spread apart, lots of parks, outdoors on your doorstep, that sort of thing. The reality in southern Ontario is vast areas of farmland, to which there is no public access, and other areas with houses and blocks of flats crammed in as tightly as in the UK.
Are you having a pop at Bronte again? Don't believe a word of this. The GTA has some great little spots to live with nice parks and outdoor spaces, with the bonus of being within reach of Toronto. Granted, you cant jump on black beauty and gallop for days before meeting a single human being. And you're unlikely to be able to host your own music festival in your back garden. But some places still have a lot of character and plenty of outdoor spaces.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:44 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Then I'll broaden that a little. I suggest that the population density and congestion in Southern Ontario is similar to that in the South East of England. Further, the access to the countryside in the South East of England is superior to that in Southern Ontario.
I find the access to nature here is superb. Its just different to England.

To be able to drive from my house for a couple of hours and be in Algonquin Park, as I was last weekend felt pretty special. Because there is genuine space and wilderness out there, away from the thin corridor of development next to Highway 60.

Have also been to parks in Jasper and Lake Louise, various Provincial parks in Quebec and elsewhere. There's development and some tourists, but its never hard to get away.

Sure, there's lots of farmland in Ontario/Quebec and you can't just go wandering off down any country lane or any across field. But I like how they keep the federal and provincial parks here, and there's no shortage of them to enjoy.

Travelling from downtown Toronto may be an exception to this, but from Ottawa and Montreal, beautiful and accessible countryside is within very easy reach.

England's countryside is just different - historical, developed, and you're never too far from someone or something when you're there.

I like both English and Canadian countryside, but to argue that one is superior to the other isn't really an apples to apples comparison.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:29 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
...slower paced, a sense of community (except for city life) politeness, morals and manners etc.... well thats what Ive found anyway...and its funny as thats what the UK used to be like, nowadays in the UK everyone is out for themselves.....with a snarl!
That's not really true is it
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Australia, but I love reading the Canada forum, it's much better than the Aussie one, don't know why. I enjoyed reading these posts about Canada, I think much is the same for Australia, new country, wide spaces etc. Maybe I should try living in Canada one day, something keeps calling me.
The thing about raising kids without a back-up family is very true, you can't offload the children without paying for it or doing the same for friends, and you realise how far away you are only once you are here. I think it takes a long time before you feel it's not you being the one far away from the others.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
I like both English and Canadian countryside, but to argue that one is superior to the other isn't really an apples to apples comparison.
Oh, I don't say that one is superior to the other, just that the right to roam and extensive network of footpaths and bridleways makes the countryside more accessible than private ownership of shorelines and extensive bio-hazard protection areas. Yes, there are parks in Ontario, there are also parks in the south-east of England. In terms of access Algonquin is, to a resident of Toronto, less useful than the Peak District is to a resident of London. Similar distances, need for a car in one case, public transit in the other.

No, I wasn't taking a pop at Bronte in particular but the GTA in general. Starting at, say, Etobicoke, the nearest park that looks anything like countryside might be Rockwood which has a nice lake and trees and grass and shit but, you have to drive and if it's a weekend, go early so as to have a shot at a parking spot. Starting at, say Camden, one could take the tube to Epping Forest, there are also trees and grass and all that nature stuff there but it's not a production to go and it doesn't entail finding out which road, if any, is not closed this weekend.

I don't buy the "more outdoors in Canada" argument in the context of Toronto vs. London. Toronto vs. anywhere in the UK, really.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there's more outdoors in Canada!

But I take your point about access from a downtown area: however space and wilderness are also as much a state of mind as they are accesibility.

Having lived in London for four years I never once thought - "Oh, I'll pop out to the Peak District tomorrow, and be back early in time for tea." Or: "Oh look, it's tiffin time. Time for a jaunt to the New Forest." Living in London it could take me an hour and a half to get to my destination within London. However, with all the cottagers (In the Canadian sense not London seedy 60's sense!) in Toronto roads in and out of town can be blocked for hours on Friday Evenings and Sunday evenings too.

But state of mind wise the "call" of the wild is more present in Canada, and the wilderness is much much bigger!

In London, when the urge to merge with nature overtakes them, most people tend to go to a local park and sit on the grass with a hanky on their head.

Re accessibility in the UK. Of course there's all the wonderful footpaths and stiles giving access over farmers' land. There's also lots of grumpy farmers who put their bulls in those fields. Farmers are farmers and they don't like people traipsing over their land.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:29 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

The real poor thing with online shopping here is that there is no competition..for example a product cost $200 in a shop..you look online for the same product online and its still $200 plus you have to pay a delivery charge.

In the UK if you shop around online you can find the product cheaper than you can in the shops 99% of the time and can often get free delivery.

The theory with online shopping is that have they little overheads because they have no stores and fewer staff so pass those savings on to the customer..but not here though.

It seems to be the same with all commodities here no competition same item different place same price.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

You know those moments where you exhale deeply because you're so relaxed? I had one of those on my first trip to Canada when I went out to the mountains with my mate and my fiancee. We were stood by a frozen river, it was pretty warm for the time of year (-10) and it was perfectly quiet other than the sound of water under the ice.

I don't often get that sort of thing in the UK and I really value it.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:35 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I don't say that one is superior to the other, just that the right to roam and extensive network of footpaths and bridleways makes the countryside more accessible than private ownership of shorelines and extensive bio-hazard protection areas. Yes, there are parks in Ontario, there are also parks in the south-east of England. In terms of access Algonquin is, to a resident of Toronto, less useful than the Peak District is to a resident of London. Similar distances, need for a car in one case, public transit in the other.

No, I wasn't taking a pop at Bronte in particular but the GTA in general. Starting at, say, Etobicoke, the nearest park that looks anything like countryside might be Rockwood which has a nice lake and trees and grass and shit but, you have to drive and if it's a weekend, go early so as to have a shot at a parking spot. Starting at, say Camden, one could take the tube to Epping Forest, there are also trees and grass and all that nature stuff there but it's not a production to go and it doesn't entail finding out which road, if any, is not closed this weekend.

I don't buy the "more outdoors in Canada" argument in the context of Toronto vs. London. Toronto vs. anywhere in the UK, really.
No, but Vancouver does! and has access to an area 4 times the size of the UK with few limitations on access. So yes, Canada can provide unparralled access to the outdoors, its what defines Vancouver in my eyes. You can literally be out of downtown and sitting by your tod at a remote lake in an hour or less.

Too bad about the prices of homes
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
You can literally be out of downtown and sitting by your tod at a remote lake in an hour or less.
And whether in the UK or Canada this ability is more often "honoured in the breach than the observance."

I think Canada gives a person more chances to "think" about being by a lake on your lonesome!

Probably for most people living in fairly modern housing, in a city with fairly modern infrastructure, in a fairly liberal society, in one of twenty or so similar countries around the world, life is going to be pretty much the same: fairly boring!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
That's not really true is it
Sadly...

but thankfully there are still plenty of nice civilised areas too! just a bit too pricey!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.