Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in Canada?

Is it really better in Canada?

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in Canada?

Landed back in the UK 12 hours ago.......

Nice to pick up a real newspaper
Watch some real TV
Go to a real supermarket
And of to a real pub in an hour

Not so nice was the rush hour traffic around Farnham which rivals junctions in Toronto...............

I'm sure by Friday when I've done all the things I've missed I'll be looking forward to getting back to the quiet country life that is Downtown Toronto.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:12 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Landed back in the UK 12 hours ago.......

Nice to pick up a real newspaper
Watch some real TV
Go to a real supermarket
And of to a real pub in an hour

Not so nice was the rush hour traffic around Farnham which rivals junctions in Toronto...............

I'm sure by Friday when I've done all the things I've missed I'll be looking forward to getting back to the quiet country life that is Downtown Toronto.
OO I love Farnham. We use to go to Frensham Pond's alot as kids
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

jackie_w is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what im wondering just now.

Husband wants to go to live in Canada, and Im not so sure it will be a good idea.

He has 2 sisters in Canada, one in Ontario, the other in Calgary. They both love it and say they will never be back in the UK (they have both been there for about 2 yrs).
Brother in law says we will have a much better life in Canada, better quality of life, and more opportunities for the kids! When I ask him how his life is better in Canada than it was in the UK, he says look at the house I have, I would never have had that type of house in the UK!!!!! Its only a house!!!!!!

Me, I think life is what you make of it no matter where you are in the world.

Here in the UK, I personally think we have a good life - we both have jobs, I work because I want to not because I need to, only have a small mortgage, and we have all our other family and friends. To me this is what a good quality of life means.

But does my argument, please everyone in our family, no, they still tell me "Canada will be better for us, after all this place is going to the dogs"!!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:13 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie_w

Here in the UK, I personally think we have a good life - we both have jobs, I work because I want to not because I need to, only have a small mortgage, and we have all our other family and friends. To me this is what a good quality of life means.
I think you have answred your own question right there
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I think you have answred your own question right there
Thanks for your reply but im the only one that thinks that!
Its me against the rest of my family they all think im mad not to go
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Husband wants to go to live in Canada, and Im not so sure it will be a good idea.

He has 2 sisters in Canada, one in Ontario, the other in Calgary. They both love it and say they will never be back in the UK (they have both been there for about 2 yrs).
Brother in law says we will have a much better life in Canada, better quality of life, and more opportunities for the kids! When I ask him how his life is better in Canada than it was in the UK, he says look at the house I have, I would never have had that type of house in the UK!!!!! Its only a house!!!!!!

But does my argument, please everyone in our family, no, they still tell me "Canada will be better for us, after all this place is going to the dogs"!!!!
The UK is a great place; so is Canada. How old are your kids? It would definately benefit them to experience new things at a young age.

Can you rent your house and try Canada for a couple of years? Then decide if it's permanent?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:00 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Lorry1
OO I love Farnham. We use to go to Frensham Pond's alot as kids
I love Farnham too. Frensham ponds is a good spot- I am not sure if swimming in the water is regarded as particularly healthy these days sadly.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:44 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply but im the only one that thinks that!
Its me against the rest of my family they all think im mad not to go
Seems like you're the only one without blinkers and deep rose coloured glasses on. If you have jobs, small mortgage etc. why would you trade that all in and spend a lot of money, to be a foreigner in someone else's country? Have you thought of going on a nice holiday if they're bored?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

tioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nice

The UK is a great place; so is Canada. How old are your kids? It would definately benefit them to experience new things at a young age.

Can you rent your house and try Canada for a couple of years? Then decide if it's permanent?
I largely agree.

I try to live by the philosophy that I'd rather regret something I've done than something I've not done. In other words, I'd rather give it a go and fail than not give it a go at all.

Having said that, I think most people would agree that the people least likely to make a success of their move to Canada are those who want to move simply because they think "the UK is going to the dogs". You need to be realistic. You need to honestly assess what you have, what you don't have, and what you could have where you are before deciding to move.

Just my tuppence worth.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

my kids are 13 and 5.

My husband doesnt want to rent it out, he wants to sell it.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Seems like you're the only one without blinkers and deep rose coloured glasses on. If you have jobs, small mortgage etc. why would you trade that all in and spend a lot of money, to be a foreigner in someone else's country? Have you thought of going on a nice holiday if they're bored?
We are not long back from Canada, but, my husband has been on about this for over a year now.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tioram
I largely agree.

I try to live by the philosophy that I'd rather regret something I've done than something I've not done. In other words, I'd rather give it a go and fail than not give it a go at all.

Having said that, I think most people would agree that the people least likely to make a success of their move to Canada are those who want to move simply because they think "the UK is going to the dogs". You need to be realistic. You need to honestly assess what you have, what you don't have, and what you could have where you are before deciding to move.

Just my tuppence worth.
Hey are you my brother in law lol. Honestly, this is what he says too.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:12 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey are you my brother in law lol. Honestly, this is what he says too.
This philosophy could be a risky one, especially when children are involved.

As a worse case scenario, i'd rather regret not trying to move from my comfortable life in the UK, away from my family and friends, than regret moving if that meant either living in a country that made me unhappy, or returning to the UK penniless and jobless with huge cracks in my family/relationships.

That said, the move could be the best thing you ever did. The main problem is that you'll never know until you try.

It's all down to your aversion to risk.

I would suggest you ask your hubby to write a list of what he believes your chosen area in Canada will give you with regards to a "Better Life" and "more opportunities for the kids". Make sure they're tangible with reasoning behind them. You may even like what you see. He also might come unstuck and not find anything beyond those lines. Don't forget to differentiate between "Better" and "Different".

Good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

"It's not the destination, it's the journey."

You hear that cliche many times, and for many people that is the reason why they think they want to emigrate.

It's not necessarily wrong: Brits (and Irish) especially have always sought to live in the far flung corners of the old Empire.

Sometimes it's the striving, the seeking, the adventure, the challenge that is at the heart of the yearning to move.

Will life be better?

Is your criteria for "better" a 1. Material life (bigger home and car, or more money); 2. Lifestyle (scenery, outdoors activity, more "space") and opportunities for the kids; 3. or the adventure of moving and carving a new life out of the unknown; 4. or just getting away from the same-old same-old?

Make sure you know what you want before you seek to find it!

For me it was adventure and building a new life.

Last edited by triumphguy; Sep 23rd 2010 at 1:52 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Sometimes it's the striving, the seeking, the adventure, the challenge that is at the heart of the yearning to move.
Bingo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.