Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Realistic to move in terms of budget??

Realistic to move in terms of budget??

Old Jan 25th 2016, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realistic to move in terms of budget??

$3k is for your PR app, when it comes to it. Visa fees will be $2230, add on medicals at around $200 each and police checks, ECA, IELTS etc, and you're looking at approx $3500 for the 4 of you.

From what you've said about your budget in the UK, which is incredibly tight by anybody's standards, I think you'd be ok in Canada. Although if you do get any kind of benefits in the UK to top up your salary, don't forget that you won't have those in Canada. And do look in to the costs of setting up life out there, as it'll be more than Spain and more than you're used to probably (i.e. just car insurance for one car is likely to be quite a few times what you would pay in the UK).

Good luck!
Old Jan 25th 2016, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't think he is. Some posters are high earners and seem very money motivated. They apparently find it hard to believe that people can be happy with more modest incomes.
I don't think that's it at all. It's not a case of being 'money motivated', and I certainly believe that Bristol is perfectly happy - nobody has ever disputed that that I recall.

But I'm sure Bristol would be the first to admit that he's very unusual on the forum for being able to live (and I think bring up kids?) on that income, even without a mortgage or rent to pay. Nobody is saying that he's miserable doing it, simply that most others couldn't do so themselves. Cost of living in Canada is so high for most that it's just not achieveable for many.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 7:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The figures BristolUK quotes are a little under $2,000 a month of disposable income after housing is paid for. IME that is not unusual at all.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

samnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond repute

That is maybe why advice can vary so much as poeple will have come from very different backgrounds and indeed all gone over to set up very different lives in canada.

We are very modest people, we dont buy into brands and labels and the latest technologies. If it does the job its fine! lol Maybe a little old fashioned! we generally buy most things, including clothes, second hand, we dont go out drinking or are even drinkers at all, we enjoy the odd meal out or activities with the kids. Our holidays are usually camping and our hobbies are horse riding, cycling and walking our dogs. We really dont live an expensive lifestyle at all.

We'd be more than happy living in a log cabin in the woods (with gun obviously!!lol)
Old Jan 25th 2016, 7:52 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnlee
That is maybe why advice can vary so much as poeple will have come from very different backgrounds and indeed all gone over to set up very different lives in canada. We are very modest people, we dont buy into brands and labels and the latest technologies. If it does the job its fine! lol Maybe a little old fashioned! we generally buy most things, including clothes, second hand, we dont go out drinking or are even drinkers at all, we enjoy the odd meal out or activities with the kids. Our holidays are usually camping and our hobbies are horse riding, cycling and walking our dogs. We really dont live an expensive lifestyle at all. We'd be more than happy living in a log cabin in the woods (with gun obviously!!lol)
I thon you have a very healthy perspective on what money is for - and so how much you need. Living in Canada doesn't have to cost a fortune. Playing on the beach or taking a picnic to the lake is almost if not completely free. Walking in the woods is free. Enjoying gardening at home is free. You can be rich or poor in the UK or Canada. For myself, I personally prefer the lifestyle we enjoy here in Canada. Are we better off financially? No. But so what, I'm looking out of my dining room window here at a beautiful line of douglas fir and cedar which are at the far boundary of our property. If we still lived in London, I'd be looking into the kitchen of the house behind ours! Money isn't everything.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 8:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Also I dont mean to pry but can I ask what makes you a special case?...
Nothing really, that was just christmasoompa's nice way of saying I'm an exception - albeit not the only one.

The prevailing view is what's the point of coming all the way to Canada if it doesn't improve things and that seems to be measured in different ways for different people.

Over simplified, some folk seem to need the trappings of wealth to see a better life.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

samnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond reputesamnlee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks pivingtonpike, those are all things we love to do and I do love gardening :-) I think if we were just a bit more comfortable financially than here that would be great, but what really draws us out there is the outdoor lifestyle. It seems in canada theres mostly either sun or snow which you can get out in, rain and ridiculous winds you cant do much in!! lol

Bristoluk - i see. Have to say ive never been a money person. As long as you have what you need and can do the things you enjoy doing, thats a happy life :-)
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

What you make or have isn't that important, its what you do with what you make or have. It appears BristolUK is a perfect example of this and he's happy with his lifestyle, so good on him.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I thon you have a very healthy perspective on what money is for - and so how much you need. Living in Canada doesn't have to cost a fortune. Playing on the beach or taking a picnic to the lake is almost if not completely free. Walking in the woods is free. Enjoying gardening at home is free. You can be rich or poor in the UK or Canada. For myself, I personally prefer the lifestyle we enjoy here in Canada. Are we better off financially? No. But so what, I'm looking out of my dining room window here at a beautiful line of douglas fir and cedar which are at the far boundary of our property. If we still lived in London, I'd be looking into the kitchen of the house behind ours! Money isn't everything.
This sums up the reason I am looking at Canada. I think consumerism is the primary barrier to happiness of people in the west.

I was surprised to see you lived in London though, I always assumed by your name that you lived around my area (Wigan/Bolton). Either there's another Rivington Pike or you headed south to live among those southeners who talk funny.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The figures BristolUK quotes are a little under $2,000 a month of disposable income after housing is paid for. IME that is not unusual at all.
And I thought you were an accountant - seems his 'normal' income is $16-19k a year, my maths isn't great, but that's not just under $2k a month.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We are very modest people, we dont buy into brands and labels and the latest technologies. If it does the job its fine! lol Maybe a little old fashioned! we generally buy most things, including clothes, second hand, we dont go out drinking or are even drinkers at all, we enjoy the odd meal out or activities with the kids. Our holidays are usually camping and our hobbies are horse riding, cycling and walking our dogs. We really dont live an expensive lifestyle at all.
Ditto pretty much all of that (although I do confess to buying new clothes rather than second hand, albeit in Primark and Asda so hardly designer!). It's funny when other people's children come around to our house and say 'where's your iPad?' - the look on their faces when we say we don't actually have one is hilarious!

As I said above, if you're used to a small income in the UK then I think you'll be fine on the income proposed for Canada. But I do think getting set up there will cost quite a bit, and if you do want to apply for PR then the lack of funds will be an issue. So I'd personally cost up very carefully your set up fees (rental deposits, car, insurance, utility deposits if necessary, school costs i.e. bus etc, furnishing your house, etc, etc) and see if you would have enough to do that. And then decide if being able to apply for PR or not is a deal breaker for you as well.

Best of luck with it, look forward to hearing how the interview goes.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 12:08 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
This sums up the reason I am looking at Canada. I think consumerism is the primary barrier to happiness of people in the west.

I was surprised to see you lived in London though, I always assumed by your name that you lived around my area (Wigan/Bolton). Either there's another Rivington Pike or you headed south to live among those southeners who talk funny.
You do know that Canada is "west" as you put it, or first world western society. It perplexes me that you think you might get an entirely different breed of person in Canada

To the op, I'm a bit of a worry wort I accept that but in your situation what would worry me with children is the instability. Taking the scenario that you can't find $22000 to sit in your bank account not used to show PR, then you need to account for moving twice as you will need to move back. If it was me with scarce resources I'm not sure I could use it up on a temporary situation which is how you must definitely look at it.

Who know's what's around the corner? You certainly hear stories on here about those who move here on a Temp Work Permit and lose their job and are unable to work since their work permit is linked to one employer only. How would you manage in that situation?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Who know's what's around the corner? You certainly hear stories on here about those who move here on a Temp Work Permit and lose their job and are unable to work since their work permit is linked to one employer only. How would you manage in that situation?
TT has a good point. If your spouse gets the TWP, is it in a category that allows you an OWP?

I probably fall into the same category as Bristoluk: have & have always had a very low income compared to what many think as necessary to live on happily in Canada.

However, I came here with PR, & it wasn't my first international move. I'm not sure I'd take the risk to come out on a TWP, with children, & no back up plan/spare funds.

And as mentioned by others, *where* in Canada makes a huge difference...
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:12 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
This sums up the reason I am looking at Canada. I think consumerism is the primary barrier to happiness of people in the west. I was surprised to see you lived in London though, I always assumed by your name that you lived around my area (Wigan/Bolton). Either there's another Rivington Pike or you headed south to live among those southeners who talk funny.
I lived on the road/track that ran up to the Pike. My family (cousins. aunts, grandparents) still live in and around Rivington/Horwich. Went to Uni in London, met my wife and just never left.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Shirtback
TT has a good point. If your spouse gets the TWP, is it in a category that allows you an OWP?
The OP has mentioned a Skill Level C job in another thread, so no, she couldn't work and they'd be reliant on the one income. But hopefully after the interview they should know more including the actual NOC code.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.