Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The RBC scandal and foreign workers.

Wikiposts

The RBC scandal and foreign workers.

Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:40 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The RBC scandal and foreign workers.

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers

It seems to me that Canada has got a lot more anti-immigration over the last few years ...
Coincident with Kenney being in charge?
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately there are no simple solutions.
Is it the thinking that any country has a duty to its citizens to try to ensure that they are working and that its citizens also have a responsibility to work.
Can we legally force any person to work or accept a job?
All countries have segments of society that would sooner sit at home be it collecting welfare or benefits and feel that some of the vacant jobs are beneath them and as long as these benefits are paid out what incentive is there for these people to work if these payments are high enough.
If a country chooses to employ its own citizens then they are accused of being of being protectionist or anti immigration.
Say a job has certain requirements and qualifications required. There is now a vacancy for that job. The job is advertised and numerous applicants apply who are all qualified.
Should the job be given to a Canadian or a foreign worker?
Im not against foreign workers being hired but the whole system needs a revamp with clear established rules of when a foreign worker can be hired.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Broadway is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if this has been shown. Its the Facebook page where the RBC debacle is being discussed:

www.facebook.com/BoycottRoyalBankOfCanada
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand all the hoo-ha. Banks have been doing this for a decade now.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
I don't understand all the hoo-ha. Banks have been doing this for a decade now.
Yes they have but it doesnt make it right. If your current job was outsourced to another company in Canada and you had to train the new worker who just might be a foreign worker then Im sure you would have no complaints and would train that person with a passion.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Sarcasm?

Outsource/offshore is a tricky topic and as a general point, I don't necessarily agree with or condone it. But corporations are after numbers - they will make the changes if it is cost effective and increasingly companies are cross culture/geographical lines...They have profit pressure, and so the cycle goes.

That said, of course I agree it must be awful and managing the process is one of the most pertinent aspects of successful outsource/offshore programmes. I have seen programmes like that and I didn't have the heart to do it, but I know that banks all over the world including the UK have been doing this for over a decade. And companies should always be sensitive if they must do this.

Also: I do think that if the quality of the workforce overseas is starting to look better (attitude, cost/return, professionalism etc) then generally the market is global and so it is not unfair that a corporation consider the options. On the balancing side, countries can and mostly do implement policies that ensure that employers are also meeting their country obligations to some degree i.e. to employment of their own citizens and residents. What is what is a matter of detailed policy review, and implementation.

My post anyway was just saying why is RBC being singled out for such a big kick over such an old practice - hoo-ha.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

RBC were singled out because the worker had the balls to go to the media and tell his story.
We have minimum wage and industry wage standards in Canada.
Certain jobs require that their workers be paid a fair rate of pay for their work.
What do you think the average Cuban qualified electrician or plumber is paid compared to a Canadian one how about a Mexican or Indian doing the same jobs?
A Cuban making minimum wage over here is much better off than what he/she would be paid in that country so by the logic of cutting costs we pay everybody minimum wage and everyone is the same.
Im pretty sure Cuba or Mexico have CEOs and they will be making nowhere near as much as a Canadian one.
Im sure I could be replaced by a minimum wage worker though I can't guarantee you would get the same service.
Im not against foreign workers but too many employers in Canada want to hire them as its cheaper labour and they dont need to pay them benefits and can in fact pay them less than a Canadian worker as shown in the 15% less pay fiasco under the TFW programme.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:51 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Lancs, I've seen it myself first hand.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
RBC were singled out because the worker had the balls to go to the media and tell his story.
We have minimum wage and industry wage standards in Canada.
Certain jobs require that their workers be paid a fair rate of pay for their work.
What do you think the average Cuban qualified electrician or plumber is paid compared to a Canadian one how about a Mexican or Indian doing the same jobs?
A Cuban making minimum wage over here is much better off than what he/she would be paid in that country so by the logic of cutting costs we pay everybody minimum wage and everyone is the same.
Im pretty sure Cuba or Mexico have CEOs and they will be making nowhere near as much as a Canadian one.
Im sure I could be replaced by a minimum wage worker though I can't guarantee you would get the same service.
Im not against foreign workers but too many employers in Canada want to hire them as its cheaper labour and they dont need to pay them benefits and can in fact pay them less than a Canadian worker as shown in the 15% less pay fiasco under the TFW programme.
Using them to get around minimum wage and service requirements is wrong. Looking at the workforce globally is an acceptable reality, IMO.

I get the feeling that Canada is a conservative society though so that is fair enough, there are definitely disadvantages with offshoring (for the companies concerned) and many UK banks started unwinding elements of their original plans years ago for these (market) reasons.

Best wishes,
f.