Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The RBC scandal and foreign workers.

Wikiposts

The RBC scandal and foreign workers.

Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:36 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The RBC scandal and foreign workers.

Originally Posted by Steve_
I said there were legal issues with it, this is a legal issue. And yes it is a PR issue too because at a bare minimum it looks unethical.
These are issues with outsourcing, not issues with "the cloud". But it's by the by anyway. The fact is that a lot of IT jobs are low/semi skilled rather than high skilled and can easily be outsourced. This makes it inevitable given that RBC exists to make money for it's shareholders,
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So in simple terms its all about businesses/corporations being able to get the work done at the lowest costs.
Im not in total disagreement with this but where does it end.
Using Air Canada as an example their call centre is located in India.
If my bag has gone missing how comfortable am I speaking to someone in India reading from a script and has no real concept of what is happening.
Can that person tell me where my bag is and when it will arrive
Considering their website shows they are hiring call centre agents in both Montreal and Toronto, they do still have call centres inside Canada.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:15 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
These are issues with outsourcing, not issues with "the cloud". But it's by the by anyway. The fact is that a lot of IT jobs are low/semi skilled rather than high skilled and can easily be outsourced. This makes it inevitable given that RBC exists to make money for it's shareholders,
That's the key point here, I think. RBC's primary duty, so long as it operates within the law, is to make money for its shareholders. Outsourcing (whether to a Canadian service provider like CGI, to a US firm like IBM, or to an offshore organization such as Accenture or iGate) is not new. Non-core business functions (and for a bank, IT stuff is by definition non-core: it's peripheral to the task of running a bank...) are commodity services that can be done more or less anywhere.

Of course it's a kick in the guts for the Canadians whose jobs are being outsourced. But they do seem to have gone awfully quiet since the company has said, repeatedly, that all of them will likely be offered other positions within RBC. The whole story smacks of xenophobia - if it had been a bunch of Canadian employees of CGI who had come in to be trained, there wouldn't be such a lot of fuss. So it's not about outsourcing, it's about outsourcing to brown people. Apparently only one of whom was in Canada on a TFW visa.

And to Steve's earlier point about Canada being a destination country for "nearshore" outsourcing of US jobs: it was, in spades, until a handful of years ago. I used to work for an Indian outsourcing company that did a lot of business in Toronto for US clients, using a mix of Indian expat and local Canadian labour. Labour cost arbitrage for outsourcing to Canada is a lot more attractive with the $Canadian at $0.75 US than it is at par. THere are still a bunch of call centres in the Maritimes providing services to US businesses.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Apr 9th 2013 at 7:18 am.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Considering their website shows they are hiring call centre agents in both Montreal and Toronto, they do still have call centres inside Canada.
Yes they do but I believe their lost baggage number is handled by their call centre in India as my mother recently found out.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:44 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
This is an extract of part of the Foreign workers Manual dealing with Intra Co Transferees specialized knowledge

As a general guide, specialized knowledge may involve a person's familiarity with a product or service which no other company makes, or that other companies make, but differently. For example, the knowledge required to sell, manufacture or service a particular product is different than that of other products to the extent that the Canadian branch would experience significant disruption of business in order to train a new worker to assume those duties. Similarly, an eligible applicant could have knowledge of a particular business process or methods of operation that are unusual. The knowledge is not generally identified and is of some complexity, meaning that it cannot be easily transferred to another individual in the short term. Specialized knowledge would normally be gained by experience with the organization and used by the individual to contribute significantly to the employer's productivity or well being. Evidence of such knowledge must be submitted.

Pages 65 to 68 of this link explain it so see if you can interpret correctly if IGate are complying with the legislation?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf

Except that the TFWs are NOT employees of RBC, they are employees of Igate so, they should not be admitted as Intra-Company transfers.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Except that the TFWs are NOT employees of RBC, they are employees of Igate so, they should not be admitted as Intra-Company transfers.
True they are not RBC employees. RBC contracted the IT stuff out to IGate who in turn then brought over Intra Co transferees from IGate India.
As I dont have the details of the worker who was being trained I can only guess that IGate brought him over as an Intra Co Transferee under exemption C12.
Im waiting anxiously to see what the Govts decision on this is and will they impose stricter conditions on Intra Co transferees in situations like this.
Id be interested to see what paperwork was presented to CBSA when this worker arrived.
I also find this very interesting from the FW Manual

Rather than issuing multiple short-term permits for each specific project, a work permit for a maximum duration of one year may be issued for a number of specific projects. This applies to projects taking place at the company premises in Canada or at a client site (generally seen as applicable for persons the company needs to transfer for their specialized knowledge). Long-term work permits, more than one year, in the intra-company transferee category should not be issued for service personnel living outside Canada whom the company wishes to parachute into a client site of the international company on a as-needed basis.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

This is standard practice in IT nowdays isnt it - having worked in the UK I recall work being outsourced to IBM & then working for Abbey/Santander & all our jobs being outsourced to spanish companies - all down to "cheapest way to get the job done" isnt it
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mumof2
This is standard practice in IT nowdays isnt it - having worked in the UK I recall work being outsourced to IBM & then working for Abbey/Santander & all our jobs being outsourced to spanish companies - all down to "cheapest way to get the job done" isnt it
Yes it is. Luckily Canada has minimum wage standards and if employers hire foreign workers via the LMO route then they also have to satisfy HRSDC that the wage they are being paid is within the industry standards as well.
So $13 an hour job to a Mexican or Indian citizen is very attractive to them but not a Canadian. Hence all the foreign workers being hired by Tim Hortons etc etc.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:29 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
So it's not about outsourcing, it's about outsourcing to brown people.
I don't think so, Canadians aren't really racist like that imx.

The whole thing is snowballing now, with Sunwing being accused of favouring European pilots over laid off Canadians.

They had a pilot laid off from Air Transat making that point yesterday on CBC and the CEO of Sunwing stupidly phoned in to dispute the points he had made.

Anyway his point was that his airline is seasonal and they ship their pilots over to Europe during the summer and they have a reciprocal agreement with European airlines to ship their pilots over during the winter.

Okay... reasonable business model... but that's not legal, which is the point the Air Transat pilot had made. The law says work permits are to fill gaps in the Canadian labour market, not to swap foreigners back and forth under a reciprocal agreement. That's why (as he pointed out) Air Transat, Air Canada, Westjet etc. don't do it.

I bet the lawyers for Sunwing wet themselves if they were watching, because CBC have a copy of the LMO they wrote saying they wanted the permits because they couldn't find enough pilots locally, they never mentioned anything about a reciprocal agreement.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This reply might piss some off but its a dose of reality.
Yesterday I issued work permits to a Jamaican, Mexican and a citizen of Guatemala and all their jobs were approved by an LMO.
They were not jobs that required degrees or even post secondary education and they all payed above minimum wage.

Are you seriously telling me there are no qualified persons living in Canada to do this job?
Sadly Canada is becoming like the UK. A certain segment believe they should be entitled to this that and the other and are better off living of state benefit schemes rather than working. If I can earn nearly as much sat at home on benefits rather than working and paying taxes then WHY should I get a job?

All is forgiven the RBC chief has apologized
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...s-apology.html

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Apr 11th 2013 at 6:11 am.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well without knowing what kind of job it was, can't say, Kenney has been on about FSW1 applying to tradespeople.

All is forgiven the RBC chief has apologized
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...s-apology.html
Lacking an explanation as to why he thinks it is legal, doesn't sound as though it is in relation to the people staying permanently.

Last edited by Steve_; Apr 12th 2013 at 6:58 am.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:34 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really glad this issue is finally being brought out in the open and discussed.

Previous company to this, that I worked for, had a person whose sole job was to bring in temporary foreign workers on TWPs from the Phillipines and the like. These were for lower skilled jobs. She was bringing in hundreds of people all over western canada.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:43 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I think we all have to be honest about the fact that this happens, and it happens most of the time with TWP and LMOs.

Thinking back to the jobs that I've done here on TWPs with LMO's, I think its fair to say that they could have found a Canadian to do those jobs. It's just that the RBC issue has made this a lot clearer, as it involves a lot more people in one go, and that someone in the CBC decided to report on the issue.

It seems to me that Canada has got a lot more anti-immigration over the last few years and as a result it's likely that the WP situation will tighten up even more.

Now as a PR, it would be highly hypocritical of me to comment on it, I think it's unfortunate for those concerns but seriously no-one in the fully developed world can compete with India's labour costs.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:50 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
I think we all have to be honest about the fact that this happens, and it happens most of the time with TWP and LMOs.

Thinking back to the jobs that I've done here on TWPs with LMO's, I think its fair to say that they could have found a Canadian to do those jobs. It's just that the RBC issue has made this a lot clearer, as it involves a lot more people in one go, and that someone in the CBC decided to report on the issue.

It seems to me that Canada has got a lot more anti-immigration over the last few years and as a result it's likely that the WP situation will tighten up even more.

Now as a PR, it would be highly hypocritical of me to comment on it, I think it's unfortunate for those concerns but seriously no-one in the fully developed world can compete with India's labour costs.
Its not anti-immigrant, it is about an unemployment rate of 7.2%
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:57 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

List of some of the companies doing this in the G&M today:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...113782/?page=2

"Some business owners are ardent defenders of the practice. Paul Vickers, owner of four restaurants and a casino in Calgary, argues the food service business needs reliable people, regardless of where they come from. “You pay them and they show up for work,” he said of temporary foreign workers. He said he has hired small numbers of workers, mostly from the Philippines, to work as chefs and dishwashers and pays them the same or more as his other workers. He has resorted to the program because of what Mr. Vickers calls a “disturbing trend” in hiring local workers who sometimes don’t show up. “You fire him, and he doesn’t even think of it, he just goes onto the next job,” he said."

I'll bet he loves his low paid TWPs. He can treat them however he wants and they can do...nothing.

There is also a disturbing trend of hiring TWPs then forcing them to rent accomodation that eats up most of their pay..

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...treatment.html

A day after the review was announced, four temporary foreign workers from Mexico launched a human rights complaint against their boss at two Tim Hortons outlets in Dawson Creek, B.C., accusing him of rent gouging, forcing them into overcrowded housing, threatening to summarily send them home and general ill treatment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.