Reload this Page >

Does this make a good Resume?

Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

rubberduck124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does this make a good Resume?

I'm hoping to complete this resume and get it sent to various companies, does the layout look ok?

Thanks

L
Attached Files
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:22 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this make a good Resume?

there is no quick executive summary at the top stating what and who you are, your skills and ambitions etc.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:31 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be wary of trying to fit your life into their template.

Keep in mind that you're trying to sell yourself to an employer. With due deference to Cheeky Monkey, rather than talking about who and what you are, and especially your ambitions, I'd use the profile/summary section to highlight three or four key traits, supported by documented accomplishments, that illustrate how you would be valuable to the hiring company.

For example, rather than saying
"I'm hoping to become a chef and I have experience of washing more dishes than you can shake a stick at" you might say "Improved the dishwashing process for a major commercial kitchen by implementing new systems that did not involve shaking sticks, reducing breakages by 70% and saving $45,000 in replacement crockery."

As I said on another thread, the strictly chronological template can work against you if you have made relevant and significant contributions to success at various points in your career. You need to find a way to bring these up to the front to smack the employer between the eyes.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:46 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I'd be wary of trying to fit your life into their template.

Keep in mind that you're trying to sell yourself to an employer. With due deference to Cheeky Monkey, rather than talking about who and what you are, and especially your ambitions, I'd use the profile/summary section to highlight three or four key traits, supported by documented accomplishments, that illustrate how you would be valuable to the hiring company.

For example, rather than saying
"I'm hoping to become a chef and I have experience of washing more dishes than you can shake a stick at" you might say "Improved the dishwashing process for a major commercial kitchen by implementing new systems that did not involve shaking sticks, reducing breakages by 70% and saving $45,000 in replacement crockery."

As I said on another thread, the strictly chronological template can work against you if you have made relevant and significant contributions to success at various points in your career. You need to find a way to bring these up to the front to smack the employer between the eyes.
This is what i meant by an executive summary..bullet points about what you do, your achievements, your value to any company and what you want to achieve
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to put a covering letter with it?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:31 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

The format is good, when I read resumes (which is a lot!) I need something that I can skim quickly and get the info.

Make sure your achievements are quantifiable "Saved X amount on project blah blah" rather than "worked on a big project"

I never read the summary or profile bit that people put it's subjective. You might be a great team player, but at this point I don't know.

I'd move your dates to the right, as if you apply online the ATS (applicant tracking system) reads the dates that way.

Take off interests and activities unless they are somehow relevant to the role this is redundant information.

If you're going to do a cover letter, keep it succinct and about two paragraphs is good.

Have key words in there, tailor your resume to the job; again ATS systems will be set for those. For example if it's project management, make sure that's in your skills. That way you have a better chance that your resume will be sorted into the "yes" pile, by both the computer and the recruiter!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:34 pm
pkc
Forum Regular

pkc will become famous soon enough

You can leave out the interests/hobbies section for sure. Assuming that you are not changing careers, go for the chronological resume like you have but most people will want a "key skills" or "highlights of skills" section at the top - 4-6 bullet points usually. Then go through your work chronologically like you have, with education at the end (unless you think the education will sell you to an employer, in which case you can put it first). I wouldn't do a separate listing under each job - as in the dishwashing example (which I loved put down what your responsibilities were and what you accomplished together if possible.
The AB gov't has an e-resume review service which is pretty good: go to www.alis.alberta.ca and click on "job seekers" at the top. You turn in your resume and they'll provide feedback to you
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your input guys.
I'm going to put a covering letter with it, what do they need to cover exactly?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:56 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduck124
Thanks for your input guys.
I'm going to put a covering letter with it, what do they need to cover exactly?
The cover letter's a great tool to use for highlighting your attachments, just keep it short and sweet and make sure it's relevant. A brief outline on why your interested in the role, how you feel your experience is relevant and if you're applying to roles in Canada what your work eligibility is.

I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you, if you want to PM me with it.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tigger1
The cover letter's a great tool to use for highlighting your attachments, just keep it short and sweet and make sure it's relevant. A brief outline on why your interested in the role, how you feel your experience is relevant and if you're applying to roles in Canada what your work eligibility is.

I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you, if you want to PM me with it.
Thanks Tigger1 I'll get one put together and PM you.