Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

That 'quality of life' thing

That 'quality of life' thing

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:11 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of
Post That 'quality of life' thing

Ok folks,

Here’s the question. ‘Quality of life’ is constantly mentioned as one of the main reasons for moving to Canada. It can be seen as a very subjective and somewhat esoteric phrase, so, what does it mean in practical terms to those of you now well into your Canadian move?

Thanks already
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That 'quality of life' thing

Originally Posted by Lemi
Ok folks,

Here’s the question. ‘Quality of life’ is constantly mentioned as one of the main reasons for moving to Canada. It can be seen as a very subjective and somewhat esoteric phrase, so, what does it mean in practical terms to those of you now well into your Canadian move?

Thanks already
You're up early to be asking that sort of question. Been at the coffee?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:28 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of
Post Re: That 'quality of life' thing

Up too late, not early!!! Lots of practical stuff being discussed, thought id just throw in something a little more leftfield.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Up too late, not early!!! Lots of practical stuff being discussed, thought id just throw in something a little more leftfield.
You're in Wales and you've been up all night! by my watch it's 05.30 there, don't you go to work? You'll be very very tired.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
You're in Wales and you've been up all night! by my watch it's 05.30 there, don't you go to work? You'll be very very tired.

Never mind that Steve, what have you been doing to have a thread deleted by Sue??
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:49 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Ok folks,

Thanks already

For me, it is now being able to afford the things I wanted for myself and family. Yes I still work long hours (if not longer), but I can afford to live in a nice detached house, in a nice area, I go mountain biking, skiing and holidays abroad. My sons catch the bus to school where I am happy with the standard of education. They have to leave school knowing how to read and write and add (apparently not in the UK according to this weekends papers) I have never ever had to worry about where they are or their safety. They do not have cell phones, because they do not need them for safety issues and they are happy to talk to their friends at school. When they come home the eldest (year 10) has a lot of homework but the grade 8 son is out playing in the street. (not hanging around acting like a yob) but playing on his bike or basket ball and soon ice hockey.

At the weekends again they are out. This weekend my eldest was at a volleyball tournament and the younest at a haunted house thing.

Not everything is perfect, but we have more money to spend on leisure and more time to spend on family time. As a family we feel safe and secure and that is our quality of life
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by printer
Never mind that Steve, what have you been doing to have a thread deleted by Sue??
That's between me and Sue.

I was just thinking you're going to butt in somewhere when I saw you've logged in.
Wife not here so I can stay up till 1am!!! Even have something to eat at midnight!!

Anyway, back to the thread, what quality of life do you have now which you didn't have in Reading?
Other than a bigger and better house, better weather, lovely scenery, plenty of space, more laid back lifestyle. What else have the Canadians done for you?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:50 am
Banned

Nightshift!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:52 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Ok folks,

Thanks already
Up at 7am, leave for work at 7.45, at work at 8, tea break at 10, lunch at 1, tea break at 3, finish at 4, home at 4.15, never work weekends, loads more time with the children (this is good and bad) loads more 'outdoorsy' things to do on the weekends, never heard the children say "I'm bored", bigger house, tiny mortgage, two new cars, friendly neighbours, leave doors unlocked, no traffic, clean crisp air.
Only thing that would make my life complete is having my parents here.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Nightshift!!
My god you still work at night in Wales
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Danny B
Only thing that would make my life complete is having my parents here.
Have you asked them to come over? It can be very quick if you go the spousal route I understand.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:57 am
Banned

My god you still work at night in Wales
Why do you think im so interested in the better lifestyle theme!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

That's between me and Sue.

I was just thinking you're going to butt in somewhere when I saw you've logged in.
Wife not here so I can stay up till 1am!!! Even have something to eat at midnight!!

Anyway, back to the thread, what quality of life do you have now which you didn't have in Reading?
Other than a bigger and better house, better weather, lovely scenery, plenty of space, more laid back lifestyle. What else have the Canadians done for you?

Well i guess we have no mortgage, we can ski at one of 3 resorts close by, we own our car, we have money in the bank (at present anyway) one son is doing very well at school the other is working and i'm now bring money in but working much longer hours than in the UK although it's very flexible. I was off today as my son took and passed his test so i had a 3 day weekend and last week i only did 4 days but managed 48 hours so the pay was ok.

The main thing at present is the fact it seems stress free and i don't bring my work home with me.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:03 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess the best thing is being largely untroubled by idiotic British people.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bazzz
I guess the best thing is being largely untroubled by idiotic British people.
What like Steve666?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.