Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Preparing for winter in Toronto

Preparing for winter in Toronto

Old Oct 26th 2015, 5:22 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing for winter in Toronto

Originally Posted by dbd33
Underfloor heating primed to create a double height open plan contemporary structure featuring extensive skylighting. A truly exciting space and an exemplar of design geared to indoor/outdoor living.
With mock-tudor "charcoal" effect beams too.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 12:22 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I have a fall checklist we're working through...

Bulbs planted- tick
Weeding- tick
Gutters- tick
Christmas lights on roof- tick
Air conditioning covered- tick
Boat winterized- tick
Basketball net moved- tick

Still to do..

Driveway markers
Hot tub half way through being drained and filled again.
Leaf blowing- fun for about f***** 20mins and now thoroughly hacked off with the amount of f***** trees we have!!

I will be really glad when the snow actually falls... Until we actually have to start shovelling of course. Why did I move here again
Air conditioning unit. Don't cover it, if you do it might sweat and rust. There's no need to cover but if you're worried about ice falling in it then just put a board over the top.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:31 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Air conditioning unit. Don't cover it, if you do it might sweat and rust. There's no need to cover but if you're worried about ice falling in it then just put a board over the top.
See my neighbour said cover and tie bottom otherwise you get small animals trying to make a home there (?) I don't know- he's ex northern Quebec - I figured I could trust his winterising advice
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:51 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

See my neighbour said cover and tie bottom otherwise you get small animals trying to make a home there (?) I don't know- he's ex northern Quebec - I figured I could trust his winterising advice
HVAC man dictated the above advice. We don't cover ours, anyway the animals are under the shed.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

HVAC man dictated the above advice. We don't cover ours, anyway the animals are under the shed.
We installed a new unit last year and installer said not to cover whereas we were supplied a fitted cover for the prior unit which lasted over 20 years.
Opinions to cover or not are mixed.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Small animals like covered air conditioners because it keeps the snow off them and shelters them from the icy winds... a good reason not to cover them.

However, if you are likely to get your aircon buried in the snow (deep drifting/blizzards) or falling ice, then yes, it's probably better to put some kind of cover over it (even if it's only a piece of wood with a brick on top) to stop snow infiltrating the top, turning to ice and potentially damaging the coils, but only when snow is imminent. It's suggested you remove it once the danger of it being buried in snow has passed.

That's what I have been told anyway! (but who knows).

Tom Feiza - Mr. Fix-It Inc. - Simple Solutions - Heating and Air Conditioning | MisterFix-It.com

Old Oct 27th 2015, 10:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
However, if you are likely to get your aircon buried in the snow (deep drifting/blizzards) or falling ice, then yes, it's probably better to put some kind of cover over it (even if it's only a piece of wood with a brick on top) to stop snow infiltrating the top, turning to ice and potentially damaging the coils, but only when snow is imminent. It's suggested you remove it once the danger of it being buried in snow has passed.
We've never covered ours. One nearby house has a sort of sackcloth thing over theirs and another has a sloping wooden cover.

I remember reading these things are built to withstand the winter, which is not really surprising.

We've always tried to keep a path to it cleared (in case it needs looking at) and keeping the surround clear. We replaced it a few years ago (it was old!!) and the new one is quite a bit higher off the ground which helps.

Sometimes there just comes a point where it's too much to get to, like last year

If we could get to it to put a board on and off we'd just keep it clear.

The operation of the unit seems to resolve ice issues.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:45 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Small animals like covered air conditioners because it keeps the snow off them and shelters them from the icy winds... a good reason not to cover them.

That's what I have been told anyway! (but who knows).

Tom Feiza - Mr. Fix-It Inc. - Simple Solutions - Heating and Air Conditioning | MisterFix-It.com

But the small animals can do damage to inside hence the keep them out... I don't know! Where it sits the snow could be as high or higher than the unit itself...
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

But the small animals can do damage to inside hence the keep them out... I don't know! Where it sits the snow could be as high or higher than the unit itself...
Unless you can surround the whole thing including wrapping it underneath and sealing it, you won't stop them from getting in by putting a cover on it. A mouse can squeeze through a gap 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide; chipmunks not much bigger - and if there is a smaller gap, they will just make it bigger to gain entry. Sealing it would then probably cause condensation problems too.

Perhaps lean a sheet of plywood at an angle over the side and top so the snow doesn't pile up on top?

Old Oct 27th 2015, 9:23 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Unless you can surround the whole thing including wrapping it underneath and sealing it, you won't stop them from getting in by putting a cover on it. A mouse can squeeze through a gap 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide; chipmunks not much bigger - and if there is a smaller gap, they will just make it bigger to gain entry. Sealing it would then probably cause condensation problems too.

Perhaps lean a sheet of plywood at an angle over the side and top so the snow doesn't pile up on top?

Thank you... It's done!
Old Oct 28th 2015, 1:59 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Or like us, run it over the winter as it is a heat pump as well as air conditioner and so unless it gets too cold, it magically generates cheaper heat for us.... Where is the smug smiley? This will have to do
Old Oct 28th 2015, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

CRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond reputeCRAY has a reputation beyond repute

I was woefully under-prepared for both winters in Toronto and Calgary. At least in terms of kit. Especially considering I spent some of it working outside. I got by fine however, just layering up and making sure the top layer is waterproof.
I am however a reasonably resilient 20 something year old so if you're towing a young or old family with you then my personal opinion would be to make sure that you have adequate footwear and gloves for everyone. I was fine simply layering up with hoodies and stuff with regards to my torso/legs etc down to about -25 or so but without proper gloves/boots it was unpleasant for the old pinkies and digits because you can only use the layering up tactic with them to a certain point. The more layers of gloves/socks you wear the more you cut your circulation off and so they seem to be colder than ever.
I know this thread has moved on somewhat in terms of topic but just thought I would throw in my 2 cents if the OP is still looking at all. My toes would never forgive me after the ordeals I put them through last December if I didn't
Old Oct 28th 2015, 1:18 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Or like us, run it over the winter as it is a heat pump as well as air conditioner and so unless it gets too cold, it magically generates cheaper heat for us.... Where is the smug smiley? This will have to do
Electric furnace?
Old Oct 28th 2015, 3:48 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Preparing for winter in Toronto

Electric furnace?
Damn you bats, you challenged my laziness - I then had to google heat pumps and roughly what they do

"A heat pump is a device that provides heat energy from a source of heat to a destination called a "heat sink". Heat pumps are designed to move thermal energy opposite to the direction of spontaneous heat flow by absorbing heat from a cold space and releasing it to a warmer one."

It works somehow down to about -10c and then below that it is too cold - often it isn't that cold here- it then presumably improves the efficiency of our electric furnace.... There that is it in a nutshell- I'm a Dr not a heating engineer ffs!
Old Oct 28th 2015, 4:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In a further move toward preparedness, I've just made a list of all the episodes of Grand Designs we haven't seen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.