Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Preparing for winter in Toronto

Preparing for winter in Toronto

Old Oct 28th 2015, 11:33 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing for winter in Toronto

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Damn you bats, you challenged my laziness - I then had to google heat pumps and roughly what they do

"A heat pump is a device that provides heat energy from a source of heat to a destination called a "heat sink". Heat pumps are designed to move thermal energy opposite to the direction of spontaneous heat flow by absorbing heat from a cold space and releasing it to a warmer one."

It works somehow down to about -10c and then below that it is too cold - often it isn't that cold here- it then presumably improves the efficiency of our electric furnace.... There that is it in a nutshell- I'm a Dr not a heating engineer ffs!
My source tells me that you should put in a propane furnace you keep the heat pump for the AC and the gas furnace saves you money. Probably. Depending on your hydro cost. I'm also instructed to advise that you should get a gas fireplace. Ignore that bit if you like he's obsessed with them.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 11:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In a further move toward preparedness, I've just made a list of all the episodes of Grand Designs we haven't seen.
That's a bit nerdy. Not that there's anything wrong with nerdy I just never imagined that you had nerdy tendencies.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 11:43 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
My source tells me that you should put in a propane furnace you keep the heat pump for the AC and the gas furnace saves you money. Probably. Depending on your hydro cost. I'm also instructed to advise that you should get a gas fireplace. Ignore that bit if you like he's obsessed with them.
No gas supply to the house otherwise we would have possibly done both. The heat pump seems quite effective so our service guy said- he said that it was very efficient at ermmm... Heat pumping! The look of a log fire is pretty good though IMO however I am the fire builder lighter and cleaner and the flick of an ignition switch on a gas fireplace certainly has an appeal!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:35 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
No gas supply to the house otherwise we would have possibly done both. The heat pump seems quite effective so our service guy said- he said that it was very efficient at ermmm... Heat pumping! The look of a log fire is pretty good though IMO however I am the fire builder lighter and cleaner and the flick of an ignition switch on a gas fireplace certainly has an appeal!
Propane is delivered, stored in those giant suppository shaped tanks outside the house.

We replaced the log stove with a gas stove this summer and it's lovely. No mess, just warmness. I might miss the ashes this winter when rptheres nothin.g to throw on the icy path.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:42 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Ah right... But way more expensive I would have thought- I have a tiddly one for the BBQ which died t last too long despite cautious use. I like your medical terminology btw- the imagery however is disturbing!
Don't worry about the ash - go for the outdoor skating rink to entertain your neighbours!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Electric in BC is pretty cheap, at least compared to Ontario.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

We replaced the log stove with a gas stove this summer and it's lovely. No mess, just warmness. I might miss the ashes this winter when rptheres nothin.g to throw on the icy path.
Interesting - I'd take a log burner over a gas stove any day. Carbon neutral, no condensation, cheap fuel and they work in a power cut. Plus you can boil your kettle and cook some food on top of them if you are home during the day plus they heat so effectively it saves heaps compared to running central heating all the time. Hmm, perhaps not in Canada. I can see that electricity and gas are considerably cheaper there, but on the other hand you'll need a lot more for heating due to the climate.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bit nerdy. Not that there's anything wrong with nerdy I just never imagined that you had nerdy tendencies.
In the winter? Oh, yes, collating the spoons fills in many empty hours.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:42 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
...cheap fuel and they work in a power cut. Plus you can boil your kettle and cook some food on top of them if you are home during the day plus they heat so effectively it saves heaps compared to running central heating all the time...
We have heat pump/AC system but there's a nice woodstove in the main room. That room is quite big and open and with heating on and the woodstove burning, that room was never comfortably warm in winter.

So we moved the 'living' room into the other room (originally the dining room but with a big eat-in kitchen there's no need of a dining room) which is smaller but still big enough and less open and much warmer.

The woodstove is now there just for emergencies - which we've not head yet. Not even close.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

In the winter? Oh, yes, collating the spoons fills in many empty hours.
You neglect the other cutlery? That's Utensilist.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Interesting - I'd take a log burner over a gas stove any day. Carbon neutral, no condensation, cheap fuel and they work in a power cut. Plus you can boil your kettle and cook some food on top of them if you are home during the day plus they heat so effectively it saves heaps compared to running central heating all the time. Hmm, perhaps not in Canada. I can see that electricity and gas are considerably cheaper there, but on the other hand you'll need a lot more for heating due to the climate.
The prices I see advertised for wood, I don't think I would consider wood to be a cheap fuel, pretty pricey from what I can see. I suppose if you know someone with a bunch of trees or have your own trees to cut, would be a different story.

Mother in Law burns nothing but wood but she had an acre of trees, which took 30 years to cut down, but she cut the last one this year, which will last her about 5 years.

Problem I see with people using wood is they have a nice warm room, but then the rest of their house is flipping cold.

Electric heating adds about 5/month to the electric bill for us, the A/C in summer is the electric hog. But then I am in coastal BC where it's pretty mild for the most part, not too many cold days, and if there is a power outage probably won't be cold enough to freeze, nor last long.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 29th 2015 at 9:17 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 9:18 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You neglect the other cutlery? That's Utensilist. http://vladsokolovsky.com/forums/pub...er1-smiley.gif
A subject dear to my heart.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 10:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The prices I see advertised for wood, I don't think I would consider wood to be a cheap fuel, pretty pricey from what I can see. I suppose if you know someone with a bunch of trees or have your own trees to cut, would be a different story.

Mother in Law burns nothing but wood but she had an acre of trees, which took 30 years to cut down, but she cut the last one this year, which will last her about 5 years.

Problem I see with people using wood is they have a nice warm room, but then the rest of their house is flipping cold.

Electric heating adds about 5/month to the electric bill for us, the A/C in summer is the electric hog. But then I am in coastal BC where it's pretty mild for the most part, not too many cold days, and if there is a power outage probably won't be cold enough to freeze, nor last long.
We heat primarily with wood. It's about $800 for three winters. YMMV.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

We heat primarily with wood. It's about $800 for three winters. YMMV.
I don't buy wood, but friends who do all complain about spending 200-400 for the winter for wood.

It's an annual complaint they all make.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 11:10 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't buy wood, but friends who do...
Just be careful when you ask if they've got wood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.