Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:17 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially moving to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oh blimey, I go away for a few short hours and look what happens!

So to sum up the last few pages that I had missed until now (a) it seems the troops from NS have been rallied via Facebook to defend it's honour;
I KNEW it!!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I must have missed the facebook rally
Me too.. I've been reading the thread from the beginning but didn't feel the need to post (mainly because graham was just going to get a rant out of me) but then he kept going on and I thought it needed another positive NS voice
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:41 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
Me too.. I've been reading the thread from the beginning but didn't feel the need to post (mainly because graham was just going to get a rant out of me) but then he kept going on and I thought it needed another positive NS voice
It Not very fashionable to have anything good to say about Nova Scotia
Old Nov 11th 2014, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I have something good to say about NS. We love it here. Some things cheap some things expensive but hey you buy what you want, grow within reason what you want, many round me grow veggies and keep hens for eggs. Coast is within 5 minutes where I live and Halifax 2 hours away, Moncton an hour and plenty of other places to visit
Old Nov 11th 2014, 3:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry that my daughter, who once lived in NS, now lives in Vancouver because Halifax is a fun place to visit.

Thin skinned immigrants in NS though, you've only to mock the lingering presbyterianism of the place before a pack of them forms to complain that the province isn't loved. Immigrants to Manitoba or Saskatchewan or Ontario don't complain that the place isn't loved, they'd be a bit bewildered if someone did think their province fashionable.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 3:26 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I love it too. I have a lovely home, happy kids, nice job, get to drive to NYC (that was excellent!) yes some stuff is expensive, my favourite bottle of wine is $12 and that's cheap wine, I get annoyed at paying more for my groceries here than I would in Alberta, but not to the point where I care THAT much. We use the flyers to get the deals, no biggie.
I don't care that much about 15% HST , it's still cheaper than VAT.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Neilclairep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oh blimey, I go away for a few short hours and look what happens!

So to sum up the last few pages that I had missed until now (a) it seems the troops from NS have been rallied via Facebook to defend it's honour; and (b) Graham the Eggman isn't helping the OP in the slightest.

So, Graham the Eggman, please leave this thread now - with the greatest of respect, you've made your point (repeatedly) about the price of milk and the horrendous inconvenience of having to shop twice, but there are many others that aren't remotely bothered by these things and you can't force your opinion upon them.

For the sake of the OP, let's get this thread back on track shall we? Thanks.
Thank you :-)
Old Nov 11th 2014, 6:19 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
It Not very fashionable to have anything good to say about Nova Scotia
Do you really think that's true? I have often heard it said on here, but a lot threads on Nova Scotia actually have more positive things to say than negative on the whole? The only poster for a long time to be out and out anti the place was Graham....and I suspect he may have had one long cold winter too many.

At least our OP can be sure of a warm welcome if she opts for Halifax, BE'ers lining up round the block
Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham the eggman
Again rubbish, many are 24 hour or 10pm close.
The large ones or the small corner ones?
Irrespective, I was only trying to make a point that it really doesn't matter whether you have to buy your alcohol in a different store... some things are better and some not so good here...
Maybe we should slag off France because it still closes down on a Sunday!!!!!!

Seriously though...DOES IT REALLY MATTER???
Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:33 pm
Banned

graham the eggman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
well I read the first few and then the last few posts...we are planning on moving down to Nova Scotia within next 12 months...we did the look around trip last March...we stayed for 10 days, meet up with the realtor, got the feel for the houses, areas where we want to be, schools for our boys (we did visit two, as it was always around Tantallon - we have got Canadian friends there...who we actually have a lot in common with so happy days)) I am a nurse and I have a job prospect, that is all under control, Sean well he is self employed joiner here in UK...he has got few options there but for time being he might as well stay at home a little bit more to get the boys settled, we kind of figured it out that if we sell UK house we can buy upright in NS... and not a mansion...a house...the one that we will make a home, so that is more less sorted...we went shopping few times to Walmart and Costco and I am sure I can get a great deal in Costco...I just need a freezer...which is kind of cool really...it is not about recalculating the prices dollars to pounds...I just simply believe in NS based on our budget life is just more affordable...I might be naïve but it looks so much more family orientated there than it is in UK, I have this vision in my head of going kayaking with the boys spending time on the beach...going for walks...am I really that far from the reality...
Exchange Rate, you do have to watch if your moving big money from the UK. June 2013 £200K = $300K CAN. June 2014 you would get $365K CAN. Be very careful, check xe.com
Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DandNHill
The large ones or the small corner ones?
Irrespective, I was only trying to make a point that it really doesn't matter whether you have to buy your alcohol in a different store... some things are better and some not so good here...
Maybe we should slag off France because it still closes down on a Sunday!!!!!!

Seriously though...DOES IT REALLY MATTER???
Yes and why, I had one glass of beer in Brewdebakers, Lacewood, Halifax and was refused service by the NSLC store next door because I smelt of alcohol. Staff in our bar and Canadian friends were shocked. I complained to the NSLC-HQ-Bayers Lake and was taken for lunch and a very sincere apology given but this situation would NEVER happen in the UK, you have to be very visible drunk to be refused service. I'm 66 years old and know I can handle my beer and was not driving-no car !!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and why, I had one glass of beer in Brewdebakers, Lacewood, Halifax and was refused service by the NSLC store next door because I smelt of alcohol. Staff in our bar and Canadian friends were shocked. I complained to the NSLC-HQ-Bayers Lake and was taken for lunch and a very sincere apology given but this situation would NEVER happen in the UK, you have to be very visible drunk to be refused service. I'm 66 years old and know I can handle my beer and was not driving-no car !!
In the UK it happens too. The publican can be held responsible if a customer leaves his establishment drunk and causes trouble... I know this, I have my personal license!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 10:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DandNHill
In the UK it happens too. The publican can be held responsible if a customer leaves his establishment drunk and causes trouble... I know this, I have my personal license!
Correct and is in-forced in the UK BUT NOT after one beer !!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 11th 2014, 10:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

in-forced? You don't have to drink the stuff you know.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 10:20 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure? You've banged on about alcohol so much I'm beginning to think you need to seek help. It obviously matters to you a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.